I think my parts list is done for my new HackPro

10 posts in this topic

Here is my parts list for my new HackPro:

ASUS P5K-E Wifi/AP; P35 North Bridge, ICH9R South Bridge, Ethernet Controller Marvell 88E8056, ADI AD1988B Audio Chipset,

297_P5KE.jpg

eVGA GeForce 7300GT; 256MB DDR2 SDRAM, PCI-Express, DVI-I, RGB, S-Video (TV-Out)

evga_7300gt_256mb.jpg

OCZ 8GB; DDR2 (4x2GB Sticks), 800MHz, 240-Pin, 2.1V, CAS Latency 5, Timings 5-5-5

GOLD_quad_array.jpg

Western Digital Caviar; SE16, WD5000AAKS, 500GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s

enter47e11e4fd54fc.jpg

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield; 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 128KB + 128KB L1 Cache, 2 x 4MB L2 Cache, LGA 775, 65nm

intel-core-2-quad-q6600-cpu-front.jpg

So is all this basically compatible with Leopard 10.5.2 Kalyway with a Vanilla Kernel?

I have a DVD drive, but its IDE/PATA and I hope thats not a problem...

Thanks all for any feedback. :D

Your better off with a SATA DVD drive less hasel to install with/use later and for the price difference if any you will see get the 640gb version of the hard drive I have both models it is much faster than the 500gb plus get the cheapest name brand memory you can get like Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot ... or even the OCZ there is really no difference between them at all. For the motherboard I would almost go with one of the Gigabyte P35 offerings the network card works out of the box and the 888/889 audio on them have working patches not sure about that ADI one on the board you list.

all right good to get at least one response lol, thanx

i am worried about that gfx card, i hear it has problems but i do want to use that $50 that my moms boyfriend gave to me lol. its for pcconnection/macconnection ONLY

OSx64,

Looks good to me. I agree with MacUser2525 about the Gigabyte boards. Mine has been rock solid and with my patcher of choice I don't have to patch anything except for cosmetic purposes. Sound and LAN work OOTB but just my $.02. Lastly, why a 7300GT? I just added an 8800GT and can't believe I waited this long! EVGA is a great choice BTW. Good luck with your build and let us know it works :wacko:

Nik

You might check out Fry's if you have one locally. They have the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L and the Intel E8400 CPU combo for $249. If you like the quad core, I picked up the Intel Q9450 and ECS motherboard combo for $249. Of course I ditched the ECS motherboard and ordered the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R from Newegg. But that combo deal is cheaper than the CPU alone anywhere else.

Just some thoughts, as I am in the process of assembling a PC to run Mac OS X.

Well, unfortuently i just cant get enough of ASUS products, and it seems to me that they are one of the top contenders for a vanilla kernel judging by the NB, SB, Audio, and Ethernet. Btw, I choose the 7300GT because I have a VERY low budget and I had to pick a cheap nvidia-based gfx card from PCconnection in the end. Gfx isnt very important to me, audio is and what I'm really saving up for is a USB M-Audio card that works with Windows/Mac:

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121012"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829121012

:P

• 2 weeks later...
all right good to get at least one response lol, thanx

i am worried about that gfx card, i hear it has problems but i do want to use that $50 that my moms boyfriend gave to me lol. its for pcconnection/macconnection ONLY

I have the PNY 7300 GT works like a charm