Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

So whenever I try and and run the extract script in order to try and correct my own DSDT, it will not work. When I try and run the program in the terminal myself using the -d switch just as in the script, this is all that shows up:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080321 [May 18 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Does anyone know why this will not dump my DSDT? It will not work in windows or OS X. Any help would be appreciated!

Got the same problem... Using lower version resolves the problem of extracting but probably is not adviced.

Waiting for an improved package :rolleyes:

hey guys, a friend just mailed me that we will celebrate his birthday and his freshly-conquered university diploma tonight, so there will be a delay of one day .. (I have two days off tomorrow and saturday so don't worry .. :D )

hey guys, a friend just mailed me that we will celebrate his birthday and his freshly-conquered university diploma tonight, so there will be a delay of one day .. (I have two days off tomorrow and saturday so don't worry .. :) )

Not a problem! :) Have fun!

A little off topic, but since we all have similar laptops I figured this was a good place to ask, but have you guys been able to enable scrolling on your trackpads? I have tried a few things I've read about and nothing seems to work. I was just curious if any of you have tried anything.

Thanks

A little off topic, but since we all have similar laptops I figured this was a good place to ask, but have you guys been able to enable scrolling on your trackpads? I have tried a few things I've read about and nothing seems to work. I was just curious if any of you have tried anything.

Thanks

Frankly, I've never tried. I thought that there are some packages like SynapticsOSX or sth...

Got the same problem... Using lower version resolves the problem of extracting but probably is not adviced.

Waiting for an improved package ;)

mentorek, which of these

http://acpica.org/downloads/previous_releases.php

is the latest lower version which extracts right out of the BIOS with the d switch for you? Here the latest for me is iasl-win-20070508 (= the oldest) ..

Just to let you know... There is a new BIOS (4.40) version available on toshiba-europe.com

Cheers,

mentorek

EDIT:

Version 4.40 - 2008-08-02

* Corrected a BIOS password(s) automatic deletion issue.

Not a very big deal...

funny bug .. :blink:

anyway, I am doing a comparison of a dsl extracted via -d and extracted from a bios.wph.bak tomorrow morning (am @ work now). If there is no difference we can use the old iasl.exe for extracting and the new iasl.exe for compiling ..

funny bug .. :)

anyway, I am doing a comparison of a dsl extracted via -d and extracted from a bios.wph.bak tomorrow morning (am @ work now). If there is no difference we can use the old iasl.exe for extracting and the new iasl.exe for compiling ..

To be honest I don't remember the version that worked for me. Something 2007... or even 2006... but I'm not really sure. I'll update this later.

Cheers,

mentorek

iasl-win-20070508 works fine for extracting :=)

Further on, step by step - managed to get PBE to install and run in Vista even with UAC enabled .. :) and extended the manual accordingly.

Next is to figure out the method with all the steps to get rid of the two unknown devices in XP. It's not as easy as I thought because iASL does simply not compile the original part of the DSDT because of all the errors the MS comipler does not mind .. :) For my Laptop's DSDT I have the diff, but the challenge right now for me is to write a generic manual .. so hang on in there.

Once that manual is done whitehorse can work in his steps to actually get the sound and fan part going.

;) as a matter of fact there are small differences in the DSLs if extracted with -g with the most recent iasl and if extracted with -d with the iasl-win-20070508.exe.

so here's my generic extraction script progress from this morning (working in XP and Vista):

echo off
cls
set iASLPATH=%~dp0
echo DSL Extraction Script
echo =====================
echo.
echo If you are running Vista and have UAC activated, you MUST run
echo this script as Administrator: right mouse click onto this
echo batch, 'run as Administrator' !
echo.
echo Also any old DSDT.dsl and DSDT_Denver.dat will be overwritten!
echo.
pause
if exist "%iASLPATH%DSDT.dsl" del "%iASLPATH%DSDT.dsl"
if exist "%iASLPATH%DSDT_Denver.dat" del "%iASLPATH%DSDT_Denver.dat"
echo trying to extract the DSDT right out of your computer's BIOS ..
"%iASLPATH%iasl" -g
if exist dsdt_Denver.dsl GoTo OK
GoTo d-switch

:OK
echo.
echo Success!
if not exist "%iASLPATH%DSDT.original.dsl" copy dsdt_Denver.dsl "%iASLPATH%DSDT.original.dsl"
move dsdt_Denver.dsl "%iASLPATH%DSDT.dsl"
attrib +R "%iASLPATH%DSDT.original.dsl"
echo.
echo A backup of your BIOS' dsl has been copied to DSDT.original.dsl!
echo.
echo After editing according to the guides, run the script 'compile ^& rename'.
echo.
if exist "%iASLPATH%win32pad.exe" "%iASLPATH%win32pad.exe" "%iASLPATH%DSDT.dsl"
GoTo end

:d-switch
echo.
echo ERROR: attempt to extract DSDT with iasl -g failed!
echo.
echo Now trying with iasl-win-20070508 -d to extract the DSDT right out of your computer's BIOS ..
"%iASLPATH%iasl-win-20070508" -d
if exist dsdt_Denver.dsl GoTo OK
GoTo sorry

:sorry
echo.
echo Sorry, DSDT could not be extracted :(. Please try a different
echo version of iASL, maybe even under Linux!
echo.
:end
pause

hey guys,

I would say the Toshiba .dsl extraction script is up&running, it works 100% here on my Toshi in XP and in Vista :D . It first tries to extract the DSDT right out of your Toshi's BIOS with iasl-win-20080729.exe -g, then (if that didn't work) with iasl-win-20070508.exe -d.

I attached it along with the required binaries + my preferred editor.

Would anybody here who can spare a few seconds please:

- download and unzip it

- run "1. extract DSL from BIOS, open in Editor.bat"

- then report if it works/ does not work for you, incl. your OS (XP or Vista), + any potential error(s) you get.

Thanks,

Bugs

PS: the strange looking iASLPATH variable is necessary for Vista with UAC enabled .. :D

PS2: for non-Toshiba Laptops, the name of the .dsl inside the script has to be changed, from DSDT_Denver to e.g. DSDT_30BD for HP ..

iasl_win.zip

The latest iasl version 20080729 depreciates creating named objects in while loops. Unfortunately, all our DSLs contain 16 such namings, so the compilation into .aml fails.

However, to get the sound working, creating named object in while loops is fine. So in order to get the DSLs compiled according to the guides, just use the previous version 20080701 to compile your DSLs .. :)

(we can still work out those while loop errors later)

no, because you need the Windows only tool Phoenix BIOS Editor to work the compiled DSDT mod (.aml) into the BIOS.wph image. Then apply the BIOS.wph in either Win or DOS mode, THEN boot X to see if you have sound and 100% working fan control, and maybe boot back into Windows for (some more modding and) further BIOS compile(s) ..

Why don't you install one of these skimmed down mini windows like TinyXP ("400Mb total space on your system hard drive") etc.?

Well, if I could get the dump to work in os x, I could just do the editing and patching of the BIOS.wph image in an xp virtual machine, then update my bios either in dos, or by boot cd/thumbdrive. I just need a different script/dsdt decompiler as the first one didn't work, ie. my previous post.

IMHO the OS X iASL port is a testing port, a "nightly build" or whatever you wanna call it. Maybe only the compile switch works (?). An image of a XP install takes up way more space than this mini XP. I dare to say you think too complicated, geiman .. :) usually it is more efficient to not follow the winded but rather to follow the straighter road. I would say: spare a few m-bytes on your HD for tinyXP to help you fully enjoy X :)

well, I can have a vm that dynamically expands as I need it and use the same tinyxp disc and probably save more space that way, not to mention it would be easier to get rid of. That was my thinking. This wouldn't be a problem, but with school starting I need my laptop every day, so I can't go reinstalling on a whim.

But anyways, I seem to suddenly have sound in linux now, where I lost it the same time as I lost it in os x because of upgrading my bios. Why I suddenly got sound I'm not sure, but I'm going to try installing some different sound drivers in os x to see if I can get that to work. I'm not sure, but earlier on you told me about the corrected dsdt for a laptop that was similar to mine. I tried that image, and it didn't work at all, and even crippled my laptop to a point but I was able to get it fixed with the 4.30 bios image. So, maybe through all of this something got corrected, or maybe I just got lucky, but I atleast have sound in linux. So that's a little progress.

If this doesn't work, iasl is available for linux so I'm going to try and edit my dsdt in there.

well, I can have a vm that dynamically expands as I need it and use the same tinyxp disc and probably save more space that way, not to mention it would be easier to get rid of.

ah I see, but from what I know Windows will boot and run slower.

But anyways, I seem to suddenly have sound in linux now.

:D

Bugs, I've tried everything, but nothing has changed about conexant no sound problem :(

My laptop is a toshiba p105-6004, i've installed the p105-6024 bios (from this topic) and i've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO, but still with no sound.

I've tried to remove AppleHDA.kext and install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext but not worked for me :(

PS: A strange thing happens when i'm trying to repair disk permissions. The bar stops about 20% and not go to the finish ;) and i have to cancel.

Any idea about the problems ?

Sorry for my bad english :P

the corrected package is up in the first posting - about the two unknown devices in XP: attached you find my corrected Device (AMW0). Just try if iASL compiles it.

________________________________________________________________________________

guys, I am out of town for a while now .. talk to you hopefully in a few of months - sorry .. :D

________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: since Whitehorse has not supplied his working BIOS.wph, and nobody else ventured ahead to compile the dsdt.dsl he attached to this posting, I just went ahead in the little bit of leisure I have right now and compiled his dsl. However, I do not have enough time right now to correct the two function keys FN5 and FN6 turning into two unknown devices in XP, because with iASL there is no default way to do it, but instead one has to work out the occurring errors manually 1x1.

Anyway, in my start posting you now find the entire modded 4.3 BIOS package for the P100-253 PSPA0E (039028FR or ST1071) Conexant CX20551 (Waikiki). Hope that helps, e.g. mate jazzminos.

BTW, the 4 GB memory bug, affecting the PCI bus, was resolved with BIOS 2.4:

BIOS 2.40 - 2006-09-07 : version history:

PCI_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION option for 4GB of memory

so hopefully, after applying the orrected 4.3 BIOS, sound is working, in Win and in X.

Good luck :) !

Device__AMW0__finetuned_by_Kabyl.txt

Hi BugsB and the other P100 Pros,

i've seen that you've had great success with getting a Toshiba P100 to run Leopard well. Thats a hard thing and i am trying to get my P100-354 (PSPa6e) to works aswell. But its all a bit to much complicated. I managed to install and run Leopard on my desktop well but with the toshiba things are more difficult. Can you asist me a bit to help me? It would be great!

I've downloaded your kext package but i've got to start with the right distribution first. I have the latest versions of iAtkos (10.5.4) and iDeneb (10.5.4) but there are some problems with both. I cant boot iDeneb after install because of the annoying "still waiting for root device" and with iAtkos i dont have any working usb ports and sometimes the Keyboard/Touchpad is not working. Maybe i should start with the modified bios, but i do not know which to take and to modify one myself.... i dont know. Maybe i could take this one: P100-197 PSPA3E BIOS 3.80 because the toshiba site says that PSPA6E and PSPA3 can use the same bios, which i found there: http://de.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi...iverLanguage=42

Can you please give me some hints how i can succeed!? Would be really great, THX!

Greatings from austria,

DvP

Hi DvP,

First of all start with any iATKOS distro. I have this thing working with just a minor glitches. After the successful installation try updating it to 10.5.4 or so. Then you can try the latest IOPCIFamily.kext from Chun-Nan. This should enable at least networking for you. After that you should be at least ready to use internet. To get Conexant soundchip working you'd have to use modified BIOS. You can do this by yourself or use one of the images BugsB provided.

Have fun and good luck getting your Tosh working.

Cheers,

mentorek