Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

TO BugsB (I wasn't able to write a private message to You, so I decided to write in this topic, sorry for inconveniences).

Hi... I have several questions according to my laptop & MacOS. I guess that You have practically the same hardware configuration and deep experience. I ask for help.

My laptop model is Toshiba P100-257 (CoreDuo 1.73, Intel 945GM chipset, 1 Gb DDR2)

1. I installed Kylyway 10.5.2 first, but video driver for my Intel GMA950 in this build doesn't work properly - I have CI&QE, but system hangs up on mouse move. So I installed iATKOS 10.5.4 ON installed Kylyway 10.5.2. So I have graphics fully working. JaS install DVD 10.5.4 doesn't work at all - hangs up during installer start.

2.I also have working DVD-RW, Lan (Intel), Bluetooth, touchpad, FireWire (not tested).

3.Speedstep works partly - sometimes it works and sometimes does not.

4.Memory is detected at 0Mhz.

5.DON'T WORK: Conexant HD Sound, Intel 3945 WiFi, Modem (I don't want it much), Cardreader (TI?).

6.Also DOESN'T WORK Usb Hot PlugIn... Usb devices work ONLY when pluged before system start.

7.System crashes too frequently... On programs install & just after install process.

Can You tell me:

1.What distrubutive should I install to get max compability. If You give links I would be happy :(. And what kernel should I use... I suppose that my stability problems may be caused by speedstep kernel.

2. What drivers should I install? Please give direct links. Or if it is possible upload drivers pack somewhere (rapidshare maybe).

Beforehand greatful.

With great respect, jazzminos. (icq 442495851)

iAtkos 10.5.4 works the best for me... As for USB you can use the USB fix listed in Bug's sig, link is there as well. I am having problems with stability as well, however it goes away when one core is disabled. I haven't had time to experiment with kernels as I'm back to college now, however there is an experimental speed step kext that allows you to use speed stepping with any kernel. So, if you find a kernel that is more stable, you can use that kext to still have speed stepping enabled. Link here:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

TO BugsB (I wasn't able to write a private message to You, so I decided to write in this topic, sorry for inconveniences).

Can You tell me:

1.What distrubutive should I install to get max compability. If You give links I would be happy ;) . And what kernel should I use... I suppose that my stability problems may be caused by speedstep kernel.

2. What drivers should I install? Please give direct links. Or if it is possible upload drivers pack somewhere (rapidshare maybe).

Hey,

BugsB is not present here. If you're looking for a maximum compatibility you can click the links in his sig.

Kext pack is also there - you can use this link http://www.mediafire.com/?1d9ygxvcndx

Cheers,

mentorek

Hi. Thanks for reply.

My laptop is Toshiba P100-257

1.I used modded BIOS+HDA Enabler+Azalia. Now I have

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1179FF31

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

BUT still NO SOUND. Volume Adjuster works. But the result is poor.

Windows works as usual. Bluetooth doesn't work in Mac.

2. It seems that Bugs' Surprise doesn't work for me. I installed all kexts from his folder and my system crached. I also don't know what to do with kernels...

3. Now I installed iAITKOS with ToH kernel. I didn't use speedstep kernel. My system works absolutely stable. So it is suggested that one can can use speedstep kernels with care.

4. I still have problems with USB hot swap and it seems that I should do smth with PC Card. Can You give direct links to needed kexts?

Thanks for reply.

An option to atleast be able to get some sound is to get a pair of headphones or mic/headset that have a USB plug instead of the 3.5mm audio jacks. They acutally are recognized as a second sound card, which will atlease let you listen to music, etc so you've got some sound. I picked up a pair of Logitech headphones for about $40 and they work great.

Hey guys,

I know this is for audio, but seeing as how most of us have laptops that are very similar, I just thought I'd let you guys know what I have been working on. I had iatkos 4 installed with the speed step kernel and all was good. The only major problem I had (besides no sound) was that with both cores enabled and the patched intel 950 drivers, I got stuttering across my screen, making it unuseable. With one core disabled it worked fine. So, to make a long story short, I had been browsing the forums and getting increasingly interested in an EFI install. So, I wiped my harddrive, and reinstalled iatkos 4, only this time I did a vanilla install with everything stock, minus the patch for my intel pro/ve 100. Surprisingly, it booted perfectly. I then used the stock delta updater to update to 10.5.5, then added the proper efi strings to my boot.plist to fix my graphics. So in the end, I've got everything working perfectly (except for sound). And just a side note, my vanilla install runs MUCH MUCH faster than with patched kernels, etc.

Also, on another side note, I used to have sound working perfectly before I upgraded my bios to the newest version about a year or so ago (my laptop came with 2.4 originally). Out of sheer stupidity, I completely forgot my mother has the exact same laptop as I, only, of course, she has never upgraded her bios. So, I should be able to get a backup of her bios, and use that to get sound on my laptop, since it contains the older, correct DSDT.

So, if your laptop is close enough to mine, you should be able to use this backup as well, (as our laptops use similar bioses) and get sound on our laptops. I see my mother soon, so I should be able to get a backup within the next week or two and let you know if it works or not.

Till then, take care.

By the way, my laptop is a Toshiba p105-s6064.

Hi friends! I have working sound! I've re-updated my BIOS (first I used P100-102 PSPA3E & P-100 PSPADU-033026 BIOS 4.20, but it didn't work) and now I upgraded with P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00. It works with my P100-257. What I got:

1. Output sound - speakers + headphones. No input.

2. Bluetooth works!!! But is recognized by MacOS as Apple Bluetooth... When I had original Toshiba BIOS 4.40 MacOS recognized it as Toshiba Bluetooth.

3. Windows works, BUT I HAVE 2 UNKNOWN devices with ACPI bla-bla-bla in Hardware IDs. I tested sleep in Windows and it works fine. I suppose that this are some Bluetooth components, because I see my BT controller in WinXP, but it seems that it doesn't work.

As I understood You advice to roll back to old BIOS??? With correct DSDT. What BIOS version should I use to get my BT & Sound work fine both in Mac & Win?

Thanks for reply.

p.s. I don't feel any problems with GMA950 in iAITKOS 10.5.4. Problems were in Kylyway 10.5.2... It hanged soon after the boot.

Hi friends! I have working sound! I've re-updated my BIOS (first I used P100-102 PSPA3E & P-100 PSPADU-033026 BIOS 4.20, but it didn't work) and now I upgraded with P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00. It works with my P100-257. What I got:

1. Output sound - speakers + headphones. No input.

2. Bluetooth works!!! But is recognized by MacOS as Apple Bluetooth... When I had original Toshiba BIOS 4.40 MacOS recognized it as Toshiba Bluetooth.

3. Windows works, BUT I HAVE 2 UNKNOWN devices with ACPI bla-bla-bla in Hardware IDs. I tested sleep in Windows and it works fine. I suppose that this are some Bluetooth components, because I see my BT controller in WinXP, but it seems that it doesn't work.

As I understood You advice to roll back to old BIOS??? With correct DSDT. What BIOS version should I use to get my BT & Sound work fine both in Mac & Win?

Thanks for reply.

p.s. I don't feel any problems with GMA950 in iAITKOS 10.5.4. Problems were in Kylyway 10.5.2... It hanged soon after the boot.

Read the entire thread. Two unknowns are explained. These are the not-so-well edited part of DSDT (IIRC they're Fn keystrokes i.e. Fn+F5 or Fn+F6). Also, there are "fixed" BIOS images somewhere in the thread...

Cheers,

mentorek

Thanks for reply. But I didn't find the fixed version of P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00 . Can You give me the direct link on this post. BUT I FOUND a man with absolutely the same configuration as mine - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3674&st=60#. But he did not upload his modded BIOS anywhere... I've written a privat message to him. But I'm not sure that he'll reply.

I've tested my new BIOS and discovered that SLEEP function doesn't work in Leo anymore ;) It works in Windows... but not in Mac.

Hi friends... Whitehorse keeps silent :)((((((( Can anyone help me with compiling a working BIOS... The last one works practically fine... I need to solve problems with ACPI & maybe Bluetooth. I have no knowledge in BIOS programming.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Hi Folkz,

sorry for my bad English and offtopic.. :guitar:

On my Toshiba P100-306 my USB-Ports do not work. What can I do to fix that??? Ive testen many other things, but nothing is working. :(

Installed:

9.4.0 Darvin Kernel

9.4.0 System Kext

Iam a newbie with OS X... Please help me.

THX

My System:

iAKTOS_4i + Windows XP

TOSHIBA Satellite P100-306

Chipsatz Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM

Arbeitsspeicher 2048 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 (256 MB)

Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - USB Universal Host Controller

Hi... It seems that I have something to solve Your problem. Here's an archive with everything I tried to activate my USB 2.0.

http://rapidshare.com/files/150898580/USB.zip

You should install everything form subfolder "working!!!" FIRST!!! That helped me. There are some kexts and scripts to activate hot plug (thanks BugsB). If that doesn't work You may try everything that is not included in this folder. But over things made my USB working incorrectly.

Hi everybody! I wrote a message to Kabyl... Maybe he will be able to help me to coorrect my BIOS. Here is a link where Whitehorse described his results...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=840090

But he forgot to upload his modded BIOS :)

Unfortunately I don't know anything about programming... I need help.

• 2 weeks later...

goodmorning!

It's great to find this topic!

I have a toshiba P100 - 373 PSPA0E, which is not listed in the start post. What bios should i use? I have the Conexant with Vendor-ID 14F1 and Device-ID 5047.

Any help would be appreciated, would love to hear some sound coming from my speakers :)

Hi RobbeD,

You should download the "Small but complete package" in the first post of BugsB.

And you have to follow the instructions provided in the package.

But you have to know that the sleep fonction should not work and in windows you have "2 new unknown devices". It's not a problem because your Tosh. will work as it should : great.

A +

Whitehorse.

Hi, friends.

I really don't know what to do and even what to think!!! BUT situation changed again... I installed 4 Gb RAM (2x2) into my Toshi... And after that SOUND COMPLETELY STOP WORKING (BIOS is the same)!!! But Sleep is now functioning in Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Thanks fo reply! Now I need to correct the ONLY one problem - memory & sound. Waiting for Your ideas. Thanks.

Can You tell me what is Chameleon (a version of EFI???) and how to install it? Just in two words...

Chameleon == Boot manager

I'll try to create step-by-step install procedure.

Cheers,

mentorek

Thanks... Your help will be extremely valuable.

As for now I'm able to use AppleRTC.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without any problems (safe updates!).

No changes on the sound field though.

I'll keep you updated 'cause I've got to test a bit.

Cheers,

mentorek