Beta Testers for an Internet-related app

118 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've been working on an app and now have features stable enough to release a beta. So, I am looking for a few beta testers for the app. It is meant for people doing web development on their mac. Pm me for more info.

There are a few system requirements:

* Minimum version of Mac OS X is 10.5.x

Why? Thats because I have to compile a tiger version separate, and a few other versions. It is easier to go leo only (currently, unless there isn't any demand from tiger users.)

* You have not upgraded your current install from anything before tiger or your shell is set to bash

Thanks for your help,

skyhighmac

Hey sk,

I'd be happy to try the app out ;) I mean I'm not a hard core web dev, since I mostly use CMS systems, but I can test out the functions to make sure that there are no problems using them, if you would like :)

OK here is me report after testing it a bit:

* Clicking on "PHP Settings" under PHP gives me: "AppleEvent handler failed. (-10000)"

* After starting Apache, going to http://localhost/ or http:// gives me "could not connect to server". I'm not that experienced in web servers, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Other than that, everything seems to work fine ;) I need to get that second problem solved to be able to continue testing. Another thing, if you run this app from anywhere other than the Applications/servebox folder, it gives a bunch of errors. To fix this you have to use relative paths.

Sorry about that. I put it on port 81 so that it wouldn't interfere with the default install, want me to change it? I am prepping a second beta, probably out tomorrow - I don't know. I can't access the ftp on my server, so I can't upload anything, and I need to do a bit more testing before I release the final. I will send it out through the built in updater.

Also for subversion, do you want multiple repos or just one with multiple projects?

Sorry about that. I put it on port 81 so that it wouldn't interfere with the default install, want me to change it? I am prepping a second beta, probably out tomorrow - I don't know. I can't access the ftp on my server, so I can't upload anything, and I need to do a bit more testing before I release the final. I will send it out through the built in updater.

Also for subversion, do you want multiple repos or just one with multiple projects?

Sure yeah, that would be nice if you could change it ;) Maybe have both multiple repos and multiple projects?

Yeah, there are a fair amount of changes. Subversion is still disablesd, but mysql is added in this next beta. I just was able to get ftp access to my server, so I can upload a few files and finish the testing I need to do. I expect to release beta2 sometime tomorrow.

With multiple repos, that complicates things for some coding I am doing.

The problem with multiple projects is a shared revision number. Other opinions?

Ok guys - beta2 is out, make sure you read the changelog! Its available through the software update feature. New beta testers will be sent the full link.

Excellent, works great, and I only found one error, when trying to Restart MySQL :D

I just installed the update, which went smoothly.

All excited I tried to connect to mySQL via PHP, but it does not look like i have mySQL support via PHP? Should I? I checked phpinfo() and I did a search for mysql but it come up with nothing...

haha. I'll fix that today. So b3 is going out today too. I forgot to change some code. :) Any other bugs?

Edit: beta 3 is out fixing the bug pcwiz described. pcwiz - the mysql download & install went fine?

I didn't test MySQL extensively, just the basics. I didn't try accessing MySQL from PHP, so the issue Mark said might be there. However, b3 didn't fix the restart bug for me. I clicked start mysql, then restart mysql and I get:

sh: line 0: cd: /Applications/servebox/services/Library/mysql: No such file or directory

sh: /bin/mysqladmin: No such file or directory (127)

Clicking "Stop MySQL" doesn't do anything either, it keeps on running. When I tried to download and install PHPMyAdmin I got:

Can't make file (file "Leopard:Applications:servebox:support_files:downloads:phpmyadminprog.txt") into type file. (-1700)

Any ideas?

When I tried to download and install PHPMyAdmin I got:

Can't make file (file "Leopard:Applications:servebox:support_files:downloads:phpmyadminprog.txt") into type file. (-1700)

Any ideas?

phpmyadmin is how I figured out mysql does not work via PHP. I downloaded phpmyadmin and extracted it to the htdocs folder and got

"phpMyAdmin - Error

Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation"

After wondering how you installed phpmyadmin, I took a look at the server box admin panel again and saw the phpmyadmin button. I clicked on it and got the same error as you did pcwiz.

Once mysql via php starts working, I can really start to hammer at this thing :unsure:

ok, did you get any errors during the install of mysql?

No, no errors. If I remember right. I was on Beta 1 and I had to install Beta 2... then install Beta 3. But don't hold me to that. I "think" that is the way it installed the update to the latest version 3.

But, yeah no errors.

well, no mysql is included with the update, but when you clicked on the mysql pane, you should have gotten a dialog box asking you to install. did you? also, when you click on modules installed, what does it say for mysql?

well, no mysql is included with the update, but when you clicked on the mysql pane, you should have gotten a dialog box asking you to install. did you?

Not that I remember. I just went back to the MySQL pane, and it did not bring up a dialog box. I could be wrong. It could have asked me to install MySQL via the MySQL pane. But I don't remember that.

I just tried to start mysql and it started. But one thing that is odd.... every time I go back to the MySQL pane the button says "start mysql" as if it is not running. I have not tried to run any mysql commands via the terminal to make sure it is working. I have just tried via PHP.