Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

GUys I reallly want to try this! But I want to do a little project with it.

I have always wanted to use my old broken 360's case to use as a Mini PC case.

THe motherboard recomended in this post will fit perfect for me! and I was thinking I could get a laptop Dvd drive to also make it fit inside the xbox 360's case.

(Basicaly I wonna try and build a Mini mac inside an xbox 360 case) I will upload photos etc on how im doing it throughout the project.

I need help tho. Can anyone recomend a decent small PSU? obviously I wont be able to get it to fit inside the 360's case but something that doesnt really take a lot of space.

Can anyone recomend a decent small PSU? obviously I wont be able to get it to fit inside the 360's case but something that doesnt really take a lot of space.

You're going to want a PicoPSU. Check out the following review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page1.html

You still need a 12V power brick (the same kind used on most laptop computers), but since the brick can be external, the amount of space taken up by the power supply inside the case is basically zero. I got my PicoPSU 90 as a package deal from www.e-itx.com with the motherboard and a power brick for $112.

GUys I reallly want to try this! But I want to do a little project with it.

I have always wanted to use my old broken 360's case to use as a Mini PC case.

THe motherboard recomended in this post will fit perfect for me! and I was thinking I could get a laptop Dvd drive to also make it fit inside the xbox 360's case.

(Basicaly I wonna try and build a Mini mac inside an xbox 360 case) I will upload photos etc on how im doing it throughout the project.

I need help tho. Can anyone recomend a decent small PSU? obviously I wont be able to get it to fit inside the 360's case but something that doesnt really take a lot of space.

I am doing something very similar. I am actually installing this build into an old NES case. After some Dremel work I have the mother board installed. Just waiting for my PicoPSU-90 to show up. The NES case wont fit a DVD drive, but I am going to use an external one.

Also I think the 360 case should be able to accomidate a full size drive + this motherbaord. You probably wont need to spend the big $$ for a laptop drive.

This all sounds like a really cool build. It sort of makes me want to take apart my vintage 450 mhz g4 Cube and see if I can get this to fit seamlessly. I am sure that this Atom motherboard would make the old g4 Cube look like it is running with a hamster for a processor. Can someone please do a physical measurement of the complete board with a firewire card and post the dimensions? Hey, I wonder if I could rig up the old Cube power supply so that I didn't even have to worry about buying something else. It would be sweet to buy the parts, mount it in the Cube when my wife is out, test the system, and totally fool her into thinking that nothing had happened to the old except for a remarkable speed improvement. Wouldn't that be a riot?Thanks for the help.

Someone's done it with another mini-itx board:

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name...le&artid=46

Patrick

Hey all, Just wanted to update on my $250 Hackintosh build. I and 2Twisty had it all together and working great, only trouble remaining was getting VMWare Fusion to work. Parallels also was not working. Today, I uninstalled VMWare, and then Parallels worked fine.. I now have WinXP loaded and am currently running the updates. My only real reason for wanted to be able to run Windows withing the Mac OS is so I can use my Netflix instant watching... Currently it does not work on the Mac :stretcher: . So now everything is running great.

Thanks for all the help and research that went into finding the Hardware for this inexpensive build.

Ken

You're going to want a PicoPSU. Check out the following review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page1.html

You still need a 12V power brick (the same kind used on most laptop computers), but since the brick can be external, the amount of space taken up by the power supply inside the case is basically zero. I got my PicoPSU 90 as a package deal from www.e-itx.com with the motherboard and a power brick for $112.

ah thanks man! real helpful. Any chance you can link me to that package on e-itx ? I cant seem to find it :S $112 for all that is amazing! thats like £55 for me over here in the UK :D

mtw mrflood good luck with that project! I think you could be right about using a normal DVD drive just had another look at the case size. Got a spare 80gb maxtor ide hdd (3.5) but dont think that will fit in so luckily I have a spare ide laptop hdd to use.

edit: sorry found it lol im such an idiot. Cool man this is great:D Cant wait to order it! I wonder if the processor can be overclocked a little

Hey all, Just wanted to update on my $250 Hackintosh build. I and 2Twisty had it all together and working great, only trouble remaining was getting VMWare Fusion to work. Parallels also was not working. Today, I uninstalled VMWare, and then Parallels worked fine.. I now have WinXP loaded and am currently running the updates. My only real reason for wanted to be able to run Windows withing the Mac OS is so I can use my Netflix instant watching... Currently it does not work on the Mac :D . So now everything is running great.

Thanks for all the help and research that went into finding the Hardware for this inexpensive build.

Ken

Not everyone has these toys, but if you have an Xbox 360 (or other Windows Media Extender) and a computer running Vista you can stream netflix movies from media center to your 360. Now I watch movies on my TV instead of the computer. Just thought I'd mention it in case it was a possibility for you.

http://myweb.cableone.net/eluttmann04/proj...lix/default.htm

Hi,

I just installed Leopard according to your description, but the last thing (Graphics Fix with Kext Helper b7) does not work. I can drag and drop thr file AppleIntelGMA950.kext to the window, select the file, but the button EASY INSTALL is not active. Any ideas? Or where is a description how to install the files by hand?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just installed Leopard according to your description, but the last thing (Graphics Fix with Kext Helper b7) does not work. I can drag and drop thr file AppleIntelGMA950.kext to the window, select the file, but the button EASY INSTALL is not active. Any ideas? Or where is a description how to install the files by hand?

Thanks.

You need to type in your password before the "Easy Install" button becomes activated.

Has anyone who's put together one of these noticed intermittent slow downs? Even with just a Firefox browser open, the system will be fine one minute, than the mouse pointer will be "jumpy" when you move it around the next. Same with typing. The only other thing I have in this machine other than the standard build is another NIC in the PCI slot.

It's odd too, because sometimes it will be fine. I have a CPU meter open, and it doesn't seem like the processor is pegged.

Has anyone who's put together one of these noticed intermittent slow downs? Even with just a Firefox browser open, the system will be fine one minute, than the mouse pointer will be "jumpy" when you move it around the next. Same with typing. The only other thing I have in this machine other than the standard build is another NIC in the PCI slot.

It's odd too, because sometimes it will be fine. I have a CPU meter open, and it doesn't seem like the processor is pegged.

What version of Leopard are you running? I used to have that problem until 10.5.3 on almost every Leopard install include my to mac book pros. I have seen this happen if the Safari is open and you lose connection to the network and you are on wireless connection.

Sweet! installed the patch and now it works perfectly. I will update the original tutorial to make sure people install the fix with OSX.

Thanks for all the help guys.

DigitalNinja - I can only recommend you try using an IDE DVD drive. Or reburn your Kalyway disk.

You know what they say about God 7 days and installed base. Thanks for updating the tutorial for the Time Machine fix. But I don't really want to reinstall Leopard, its taken almost 2 days and everything is working perfectly. Is there a way to install the Time Machine Patch after the fact?

You know what they say about God 7 days and installed base. Thanks for updating the tutorial for the Time Machine fix. But I don't really want to reinstall Leopard, its taken almost 2 days and everything is working perfectly. Is there a way to install the Time Machine Patch after the fact?

You can manually access the file on th disk after Leopard is already installed.

Here is the quick way:

-Download Onyx from Apple.com and install

-Under Finder Options turn on "Show Hidden Files"

-Put Kalyway 10.5.2 into the PC and use Finder to browse to /System/Installation/Packages/Patches

-Find the TimeMachineFix....pkg file and install

-Reboot and Enjoy Time Machine

Hope this helps.

did any of you guys manage the onboard audio 2 work? im almost on the verge to pick up a external soundcard myself. post some pics guys of ur current setups.. lol.. wanna see which cases everyone is using... mine is open air 4 now :)

I have tried twice to burn the Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO to DVD using

<h1 class="YfMhcb">Active ISO Burner</h1>with an AMD Athlon 64, 2.41GHz Compaq and then a Dell laptop with an Intel Core2Duo processor. Both have Windows XP Home SP2. Attached is the error message I get. I tried to burn at 4x and then 2x. My Blue and White G3 tower Mac with Panther apparently cannot burn DVDs even though I installed a Pioneer DVD RW burner in it. If there is anything else anyone can suggest, I would be most grateful.

post-250921-1215803541_thumb.jpg

did any of you guys manage the onboard audio 2 work? im almost on the verge to pick up a external soundcard myself. post some pics guys of ur current setups.. lol.. wanna see which cases everyone is using... mine is open air 4 now :D

If you follow the instructions step by step in this tutorial, the sound works out of the box, during installation don't do any customizations except the the Time Machine thing. Just follow the freakin directions they are simple enough. Unless you have bum board or somethng it should all work.

I just happened to remember, I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. Does anyone know if I can use that software to burn the Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO file to DVD to make it bootable? I have been having a hard time burning it successfully using Active ISO Burner.

My project is the Atom computer.

Well, I got Parallels to work, but the Netflix Instant watching watching is.. well unwatchable. The sound is fine but the video chops up soo bad you cant really use it. Any suggestions on possible problem, or settings in Parallels to make this work better, I messed with the memory settings, but it did not make much difference. Wonder of the proccesor or video is just not powerfull enough...

Thanks

Ken

I just happened to remember, I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. Does anyone know if I can use that software to burn the Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO file to DVD to make it bootable? I have been having a hard time burning it successfully using Active ISO Burner.

My project is the Atom computer.

What kind of media are you using? If you are using cheap media that could be the problem. If not, then try another burning program.

I am going to do a very similar build.Mr. Flood, Did you get the SATA or IDE version of the samsung drive?I have put together a list for a hack miniclick here to view hack miniDo you guys think that all of these components would work. I also have a 160 GB Maxtor drive that is lying around at my house. It is an IDE drive. Do you guys know if I could use ths one instead of the seagate on the list?

What version of Leopard are you running? I used to have that problem until 10.5.3 on almost every Leopard install include my to mac book pros. I have seen this happen if the Safari is open and you lose connection to the network and you are on wireless connection.

I'm currently running 10.5.4 with the 9.3 kernel. 10.5.3 was the only release I didn't use much at all; I went straight to 10.5.4 after I used the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update.

Have you upgraded to 10.5.4 yet?