Leopard on Asus R1E-C1

34 posts in this topic

Hello all:

I recently got the following:

Asus R1E-C1

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50GHz)

Mobile Intel PM965 chipset (Crestline) 800MHz FSB + ICH8M

3 GB RAM

250 GB SATA HDD

Mobile Intel GM965 Graphics Media Accelerator

Built-in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex

When I boot the leo4allv3 or leo4allv2 dvd it boots for about 2 minutes then reboots. Suggestions? Also what is with the crappy Intel BIOS addition.

Thanks

Alex

Got it to boot with cups=1 and Graphics Mode="1280x800x32". Having problems on the boot after install. Sticks at:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Alex

bump. Anyone else interested in getting osx on this lappy?

Good Morning Alex,

I am new to the forum, and I too have an Asus laptop that I would like to convert to an OSx86. My laptop is an G1s which is a bit different than yours, but we do have some overlap. I am supposed to recieve my new hard drive tomorrow, do you mind if I pick your brain, with this install and maybe we can iron out a compatable install for these Asus products.

Thanks for your time, and have a good day.

JF king

Jokingsbox:

Sure. I have an older G1 that works great with osx86. Let me see about putting up the needed files (NVinject...etc)

Alex

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to working with you on this project.

Thanks again.

JF King

Hey I have an R1E-B1 and I got leo4allV3 to install but when it was booting, mine also was hanging on the MAC framework successfully initialized. Do u remember how you fixed that?

It seems like you used Leo4allV2 to get it running, so i'm getting that right now and I'm going to try that to see if it works.

As soon as i get this up and running I'm definitely going to keep trying to get this working well. I've heard rumors of the tablet working once you get it calibrated! hopefully that will work too...

Thanks in advance for you help.

Bump.

I am going to try the Kalway 10.5.2 to see how that works.

Is the Bios an issue?

Alex

Good Afternoon Alex,

were you able to find the files for your old G1s? If so when you get a chance can you please post them. I hope to start loading osX this weekend when and if I can get some free time. Thanks again, and have a good day.

JF king

Alex, what bios version and settings you are using? I can't even get to installation part. I have Asus R1E-B1 and bios 302 (oh, there's also 304, I might try that one too). I tried to install leo4allv2, but after the leo4all logo, the installer hangs at some text. That was the result for using the cpus=1 command, the only way I could get that far. Also tried to use Kalyway 10.5.2, but didn't get even that far. Dloading iATKOS 4 at the moment, will report later how that goes on. I'll also try few other tricks and report it.

By the way, I have also Vista installed at the moment. Are you trying to install to fresh clean HD or do you have other OSs as well?

I had BIOS version 202 and when I upgraded to version 304 it did nothing for me. I have also tried Kalaway and iATKOS 2 and neither of them worked on my R1E-B1. Looking at other forums, it seems like people have much better luck with the R1F and R1E-C1 for some reason.

~Rieetu

You may want to try the -x option (safe mode) along with cups=1 when installing. I don't need it on Leo4allV2 or Leo4allV3 but i when i was trying Kalaway, it got me just a bit further in the install. Good luck.

Thank you for your tips phatarmo. Tried various kind of commands, but none of them worked. Maybe I'm burning the images badly or something.. The furthest I came was with Leo4allv2 (I can see the logo but after that it hangs), and that was with cpus=1, none of the other commands helped. iATKOS 4 didn't boot to install, hanged at the "MAC framework succesfully..." in the beginning. Kalyway 10.5.2 reboots my laptop before going to the install part. I think I'll try different dvd brand and another software to do the burning.

What software and brand of dvds are you using?

I Used Leo4allV3. I used imgburn (its free and works great) to burn the disk to a memorex DVD-R. I burned them at 2.4x and made imgburn verify the burn and they had no errors.

Are you getting it to install at least? Mine installs then hangs on the "MAC Framework successfully initalized" when its booting off the hard drive...

Hope that helps! good luck.

Yes, I was now able to install Leo4allv2 (cpus=1 Graphics Mode="1280x800x32"), but the same "MAC framework.." error appears to me too when trying to boot. None of the commands seems to help :(. It seems to be rather rare error, I only found couple of threads about it.

There's this thread, that might indicate that it is about ACPI/APCI: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74701

I don't have the knowledge to extract or add kexts to DVDs yet (nor do I know if it's even possible), thus I need to do more reading.

There's also the thread about how to fix the cpus=1, by having a modified BIOS. But let's try to solve the MAC framework error first =)

I did a bit of searching and i found this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

It got me past the MAC framework but i'm stopped at a new error: "Waiting for boot volume with UUID 3E452B06-89D0..."

I think it may have to do with my setup. I'm booting off of an external HDD because I'm sick of reinstalling vista at the moment. I'm going to partition my main HDD in a few days and see if that fixes anything.

OK all I am able to install the leo4allv2. When the MAC Framework text appears. I then re-boot into the install DVD and copy the all ATA, ACPI and APIC kexts from the DVD to my hard disk. Then I install the leo graphics update package from apple:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/leo...csupdate10.html

I am then able to get full QE/CI support. Every time I try to do the 10.5.3 or the 10.5.4 upgrade I get stuck at the mac Frame line and none of the ATA, ACPI or APIC kexts from the leo4allv2 dvd get me past it.

I did a clean install on a new disk.

Sorry about the G1 package but I am looking for a job. I will post it when I can.

Alex

I'm booting into Leopard! I used method one from the link I posted earlier and it works! Its also dual booting with vista.

What i did was this:

1) Installed OSX on the second partition on my hard drive (couldn't boot into it at this point)

2) Installed Vista on the the first partition

3) followed the "How to" guide using MacDrive 7 on the second partition

4) intalled and used EasyBCD for the boot loader then picked my OSX partition to boot up into with "cpus=1" and it worked!

the display, keyboard and sound all work perfectly, but none of the network stuff works (ethernet, wireless, etc...) and the tablet input doesn't work either. There's probably other stuff too, but as of right now, thats all i noticed. now i have to work on getting on the internet with it...

OK I am back on leo4allv2. I cannot get it up to 10.5.3 or 10.5.4. Also what sound kext(s) are you using phatarmo. Are you at 10.5.4? I ordered a Dell 1490 wireless WIFI mini-pcie card and was able to get it installed and working fine.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm having 10.5.3 working at the moment with 9.2 kernel (the default (netkas?) kernel on leo4allv2)

-installed leo4allv2

-at install dvd boot: cpus=1 -v -x Graphics Mode="1280x800"

-no customization

-after installation: boot with cpus=1

-install Graphics Update

-install kalyway 10.5.3 kalyway update (before booting, install kalyway kernel 10.5.3 patch, don't pick any kernels)

-with macdrive: replace ACPI kexts/remove firewire kexts according to this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

-with macdrive: remove IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (on next 10.5.2 reinstall, I will try to backup the 10.5.2 IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext and use that, at the moment I'm having none)

-boot with: update -v -f cpus=1

(might be able to get rid of the -f if I destroy kext caches with macdrive)

at the moment QE/CI working, restart/shut down working. Ethernet and wireless will not be probibly working anytime soon so the Dell wifi-chip might be needed or external wifi dongle), next I will try 10.5.4 update and so on.. Also no audio at the moment. Though I havn't even tried to get it to work.

Oh yeah dual booting with Vista, booting with Acronis OS selector (the guide is somewhere in this forum, don't have the link, sorry.. installed vista first)