[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Hi all.

[intro] Okay, I've realised alot of people have had many troubles trying to boot the OSx86 DVD's, don't have DVD burners or blank DVD discs available. So, doing it through VMWare is an easy option to take. This quick guide/HowTo shows you the basic steps needed to create a Virtual Machine that can handle OS X, what needs to be selected, etc... You can then go ahead and install it to a physical HDD (partition or separate), and boot off it! :D

I wrote this because of the amount of problems people were having, and the fact that I wanted to give something back to the community that has helped me ever so much! I love you InsanelyMac / OSx86Project! :P [/intro]

From VMWare to Native Guide

Please note: I am no longer providing support for this guide (as of 2nd March '07). This guide should still work fine with the latest version of VMWare, however, due to simpler installer methods (booting from the DVD) I have decided to stop working on this guide. This is still very useful and informative for people who lack DVD-RW drives or discs.

Time to set up (once all required files are downloaded and installed): 15 Minutes. Time to install OSx86 through VMWare: 20 - 30 Minutes. Total: Approx. 45 Minutes.

===============================================

You will need:

Hardware Requirements (more will be added later):

• SSE2 capable processor. Use CPUz to find out.
  • At least 4GB of available space, on a separate partition or hard disk drive. Recommended: 10GB or more.
  • Recommended: At least 512MB of physical RAM.

Software Requirements:

Step 1

Open Daemon Tools. Right-click the D-Tools task icon in the System Tray, make a Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, and mount the ISO image (set number of devices to 1, then select the device, and mount the ISO on it):

daemon-tools-screenshot.png

Step 2

Load up VMWare Workstation. Create a new Virtual Machine:

File => New => Virtual Machine.

Options you must select:

Custom | New - Workstation 5 | Other - Other | Virtual Machine Name (Optional) / Location (Optional) | Memory - 256MB or above is preferable | Do not use a network connection | SCSI - Buslogic | Use a Physical Disk (Press OK/Continue on the warning that appears) | Select appropriate Device (as in the HDD you want to install onto), Usage - (Optional - for me it wasn't. I had to install OS X onto a full HDD, not a single partition... Not sure why...). | Disk file (Optional).

Step 3

Once made, edit the Virtual Machine's Configuration, and change the CD-ROM drive to the Virtual CD/DVD-ROM drive we made earlier (Drive [ D:] in my case). You cannot point the drive directly to the ISO file, as it won't work. This is becuase VMWare ISO Emulation doesn't work too well with hfs+ filesystems.

You must also change the disk to an Independent - Persistent one (thanks to xtraa for this part! ;)) As it says on the VMWare site:

To configure a disk as an independent disk, choose VM > Settings, select the disk in question, then click Advanced. On the advanced settings screen, select Independent, then the mode for the disk. You have the following options for an independent disk:

# Persistent — changes are immediately and permanently written to the disk. All changes to an independent disk in persistent mode remain, even when you revert to the snapshot.

# Nonpersistent — changes to the disk are discarded when you power off or revert to the snapshot. Choose this option if you want to run a virtual machine where the virtual disk is stored on a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, or if you want to lose any changes made to the virtual disk since the snapshot was taken when you revert to the snapshot.

Step 4

Start the Virtual Machine.

NOTE: You must left click in the portion of the VMWare window that is being emulated in order for it to detect your mouse and keyboard!

Press the ESC key on your keyboard, and select to boot off the CD-ROM Drive. Hopefully, you should see the Darwin Bootloader. Then, you should be on your way to a clean install. If you encounter any problems, enter "-v" at the Darwin Bootloader prompt, and put the error / screen capture here...

Once installed, restart your computer and follow the particular guide that came with the ISO/DMG file you got, i.e. Maxxuss' Instructions Post-Installation. If you used the 10.4.4/5 PrePatched ISO DVD then you should be good to go! Just restart, and boot the HDD you installed onto! (you may need to change the HDD Boot Order in your BIOS)

SABR. :)

Thanks so much for posting this guide. Exerything works great for me during install using the myz 10.4.5 iso. Unfortunately when osx reboots within vmware I get a missing operating system error. I'm installing to a 2nd partition on my xp laptop. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again.

Chill

Thanks so much for posting this guide. Exerything works great for me during install using the myz 10.4.5 iso. Unfortunately when osx reboots within vmware I get a missing operating system error. I'm installing to a 2nd partition on my xp laptop. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again.

Chill

That's ok. I wanted to post it becuase of all the problems this community has helped me with, so I thought I'd help out too! :D

Anyway, the problem you're experiencing is quite strange... Are you telling it to boot the partition, or the whole HDD (just trying to rule out simple mistakes, etc...)? This is the problem I had when I was trying to install 10.4.3. When I booted natively, it worked fine. When I tried it in VMWare, it didn't. Then I tried to boot natively again, and it didn't work :) That's when I just left it, and got 10.4.4/5...

That's ok. I wanted to post it becuase of all the problems this community has helped me with, so I thought I'd help out too! :P

Anyway, the problem you're experiencing is quite strange... Are you telling it to boot the partition, or the whole HDD (just trying to rule out simple mistakes, etc...)? This is the problem I had when I was trying to install 10.4.3. When I booted natively, it worked fine. When I tried it in VMWare, it didn't. Then I tried to boot natively again, and it didn't work :D That's when I just left it, and got 10.4.4/5...

Hi,

thanks for the guide. :D

You should really add the remark to add the HDD with the option independend/persistance because

otherwise it will f*ck up the disk if someone gets the Idea of partitioning or formatting it via vmware >

installer > diskutility.

I had some PMs from users reporting these issues, after using vmware to native with my first 10.4.3 guide.

It was always the independent/persistance check, that was missing.

If you get errors on missing operation systems, you'll have to usually delete the partition/disk with

diskutility, in order to make it write a new bootsector. Thats the problem, why you REALLY should add the

drive independent/persistance, so that changes to the drive are made immediately.

Hi,

thanks for the guide. :D

You should really add the remark to add the HDD with the option independend/persistance because

otherwise it will f*ck up the disk if someone gets the Idea of partitioning or formatting it via vmware >

installer > diskutility.

I had some PMs from users reporting these issues, after using vmware to native with my first 10.4.3 guide.

It was always the independent/persistance check, that was missing.

If you get errors on missing operation systems, you'll have to usually delete the partition/disk with

diskutility, in order to make it write a new bootsector. Thats the problem, why you REALLY should add the

drive independent/persistance, so that changes to the drive are made immediately.

Ahh ok, thanks... I'll edit the first post. :P (credit goes to you :D)

Ahh ok, thanks... I'll edit the first post. :D (credit goes to you :P)

lol :D I like your guide, because it is really simple and short. Right on point, so thanks for that :D

installer > diskutility.

If I check the independend/persistance option can I format a free partition I have? It will work? Or will damage my system? :)

anyone know why i cant see any hard drives to install onto?

post-26995-1141802573_thumb.jpg

im trying to either install onto a IDE drive or a partition on my SATA drive (dont care which one really IDE would be better.)

I have tried adding both to my VM at the same time and not at the same time? Is there a special way i need to format to get them to work?

Okay, I have a question.

First, as with the poster above, I am not getting any partitions available that I can install to, so how do I get to this "disk utility" thing. Also, would it have been better to have just formatted the partition which I set the VMWare drive to as HFS in the beginning (before installing vmware, etc).

Secondly, I am missing the step between installing it via VMWare and then just booting into OSX...basically the step between Vmware and non-vmware....Or is it basically that once I install it onto a disk with Vmware, it is the same as if I had just booted with the dvd and done it that way.

Thanks in advance

ahh all seems to be working good, just need to find myself a USB keyboard... I cut and pasted stuff out of the EULA to make username/passwords because ps/2 doesnt seem to work...

p.s disk utilities is at the top under 'utilities'

Thanks heaps for this guide!

If I check the independend/persistance option can I format a free partition I have? It will work? Or will damage my system? :pirate2:

Hi, I did the formatting and partitioning via vmware about 8 to 10 times now, and I never had a problem

with my disk. But If you can make a backup, do so :hysterical:, just to be absolutely sure.

Okay, I have a question.

First, as with the poster above, I am not getting any partitions available that I can install to, so how do I get to this "disk utility" thing.

Its in the menu bar at the top of your screen. You can't see it in the screenshot above, because it is a scroll-image.

Also, would it have been better to have just formatted the partition which I set the VMWare drive to as HFS in the beginning (before installing vmware, etc).
No, this is just some unecessary extra stress. I never had any probs with formatting, deleting disks or partitions from within the installer over vmware. just remember to click them independent/persistance in vmware.

Secondly, I am missing the step between installing it via VMWare and then just booting into OSX...basically the step between Vmware and non-vmware....Or is it basically that once I install it onto a disk with Vmware, it is the same as if I had just booted with the dvd and done it that way.

There is no step missing, the How-To guide from SABR is complete. You don't need to install osx or anything else in vmware. Just use VMWare as a kind of "native drive enhancement". Just boot via vmware and install it on your native harddrive.

There is no step missing, the How-To guide from SABR is complete. You don't need to install osx or anything else in vmware. Just use VMWare as a kind of "native drive enhancement". Just boot via vmware and install it on your native harddrive.

Okay, so I will be able to boot into OSX without VMWare once I install it? That is the part that I do not get.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for being a complete noob.

EDIT: For some reason, using the disk utitlity, all I see on the left pane is "VMWare ATAPI Cdrom image" which is 4.4gb...I do not see any hard drives or partitions to install to. I set VMware to use a 15gb fat32 partition.

Okay, so I will be able to boot into OSX without VMWare once I install it? That is the part that I do not get.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for being a complete noob.

It's ok to ask questions :blink:

Now, it depends which OS X86 installation you are using... Read the last paragraph of the guide. There may be more instructions left for you to do once installed. It's all dependant upon which OS X86 DVD you used to install with :angry: Just think of this guide as the "Installation" part.

EDIT: For some reason, using the disk utitlity, all I see on the left pane is "VMWare ATAPI Cdrom image" which is 4.4gb...I do not see any hard drives or partitions to install to. I set VMware to use a 15gb fat32 partition.

Ok, lets say you have your harddisk named "MY HDD" with 2 partitions: Partition "XP" runs Windows on it and Partition "Tiger" is your target where you want to install OSX.

1. In Windows you start VMWare, then under Virtual Machine settings you add your "MY HDD" harddrive. When adding your real "MY HDD", click on the Advanced button and check the "independent/persistance" checkbox.

2. Boot OSX in your Virtual machine. Either by mounting the image in DaemonTools, or by inserting your burned DVD. Start the VMWare Virtual machine by pressing the Play button, and watch how OSX is about to boot.

3. In the Setup-Menu, you have to select your partition, where you want to install OSX to. In your case it is your 15 GB Partition. The problem is, that it is Fat32. OSX cannot install on a Fat32 partition. So you open the Diskutility from the Tools menue on top of the screen.

4. Here you will see all your partitions on the left side. Now be careful !! and highlight your 15 GB Fat32 partition, and click delete. OSX will automatically delete the partition and will then format it with a bootable hfs file system, where OSX can install to.

5. When Diskutility has finished, just quit the program and you will automatically be back at the installer. Now you can select your 15 GB disk. Go on installing and then hopefully you will be able to boot OSX.

6. To be able to boot OSX, you will have to copy the chain0 File to your XP Root folder eg. C:\ After that you

will have to add a line to your hidden C:\boot.ini file by opening it with the texteditor. This is because then you can select OSX at bootup from within the XP Bootmanager. If you don't know how to do that, do a google search for dulboot or for "boot.ini chain0 OSX" without the quotes, or search the forum and wiki here for it.

When I try to start up my virtual machine I am getting the following message:

Windows - Drive not ready

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive and make sure that disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.

That is for the Daemon drive. I actually don't even have a physical cdrom attached.

When I try to start up my virtual machine I am getting the following message:

Windows - Drive not ready

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive and make sure that disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.

That is for the Daemon drive. I actually don't even have a physical cdrom attached.

Strange. Sounds like either VMWare has changed something or your dTools driver is messed up. Anyway, try to mount the image directly in vmware. maybe that works. just click on the CD/DVD Rom in your virtual machine and load the image in there.

Xtraa, thanks for the help.

The problem is, on step 4 that you listed above, I don't see my harddisk, much less any partitions except for the virtual ide cdrom drive.

It is as if vmware/osx cannot initialize the usb controller or the USB drive to which I wish to install OSX.

Hmm, quite strange... 10.4.3 JaS Patched DVD, yes? Are you mounting the DVD in Daemon Tools?

Yes it's the pre-patched one. I've also tried taking off the patch and re-applying it myself. I've tried from a DVD and from Daemon, neither successfully :guitar:

-Ross

Yes it's the pre-patched one. I've also tried taking off the patch and re-applying it myself. I've tried from a DVD and from Daemon, neither successfully :)

-Ross

Well, I don't know then... I know it's not the kind of suggestion you want to hear, but you could get the 10.4.4/5 PrePatched myzar DVD...

Or, you could try removing the floppy disk and stuff from the machine you don't need, like what fearmegod did ;)

Well, I don't know then... I know it's not the kind of suggestion you want to hear, but you could get the 10.4.4/5 PrePatched myzar DVD...

Or, you could try removing the floppy disk and stuff from the machine you don't need, like what fearmegod did ;)

Oh well :) - I'll try unplugging all non-essential hardware and see where that gets me...

-Ross