Bill Gates stepping down July 1

SDRacer48

13 posts in this topic

As we all have known for a while now, Bill Gates will be stepping down from his full time position at Microsoft on July 1. His 33 year run as one of the main components of the company who set the tone for the entire computer industry is finally coming to an end.

No matter what you think of Bill Gates, he is arguably one of the most influential people in regards to the computer industry. He was one of the first to envision the reality of a computer on every desktop. He saw good ideas, and good opportunities and pounced. Gates fierce competitiveness is what made Microsoft the huge billion dollar giant it now is.

Although his run at Microsoft comes to an end, his work is far from over. He is going to devote most of his time towards the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. He has already put billions [yeah, that is with a B] of dollars and countless hours into the foundation that aims to eliminate common diseases such as malaria that still affects numerous third world countries.

Google News Story

Enjoy your retirement Bill, and continue your great work...

Even his harshest critic would have to agree he was one of the most important people in making what we know as the computer today.

His foundation is also an example of how it is not important to be the richest man in the cemetary but to be helpful to the rest of the people who could not have the same easy way of life as he did.

Congratulations Bill on your memorable work and let your legacy live on.

iPoco

Seriously, you're joking right?

Are you joking?

If you cannot acknowledge that Bill Gates was "ONE OF THE HANDFUL" of people that had a huge impact on what is know as the personal computer today, I am sorry, but you are either a mega fan boy or a person with a huge grudge.

Bill Gates was not the most influential person (I do not personally think any one person was), but without him, the personal computer industry would have an entirely different landscape, for better or worse.

Even his harshest critic would have to agree he was one of the most important people in making what we know as the computer today.

His foundation is also an example of how it is not important to be the richest man in the cemetary but to be helpful to the rest of the people who could not have the same easy way of life as he did.

Congratulations Bill on your memorable work and let your legacy live on.

iPoco

Well put.

Are you joking?

If you cannot acknowledge that Bill Gates was "ONE OF THE HANDFUL" of people that had a huge impact on what is know as the personal computer today, I am sorry, but you are either a mega fan boy or a person with a huge grudge.

Bill Gates was not the most influential person (I do not personally think any one person was), but without him, the personal computer industry would have an entirely different landscape, for better or worse.

Bull. Gates was in the right place at the right time with code he didn't even write and bought for a song. He than leveraged his company's power to buy out and/or destroy any and all competition in the PC industry. He's a shrewd but unethical business man and that's all he is. Except for his philanthropic endeavors nothing the man ever did deserves any respect.

You folks need to read more. :thumbsup_anim:

Bull. Gates was in the right place at the right time with code he didn't even write and bought for a song. He than leveraged his company's power to buy out and/or destroy any and all competition in the PC industry. He's a shrewd but unethical business man and that's all he is. Except for his philanthropic endeavors nothing the man ever did deserves any respect.

I am sorry, but you are either a mega fan boy or a person with a huge grudge.

I guess you title is right, you really are a "Blowhard."

You folks need to read more. :D

I agree, people can read this and decide for themselves.

Also, I found a really good documentary from BBC on RevoTT titled "Bill Gates - How a Geek Changed the World." It is very good watch that is truthful in every aspect (contrary to what vaporATX is on this issue).

And I have to say, a man who is a pure capitalist at heart that changed the world and did so much good for it is deserving of most people's respect. Not to mention, it is not everyday, someone wakes up and says, I am going to give away $24 BILLION today. Suck on that Oprah... :P

• 1 month later...
Are you joking?

I agree, for me the real genius is STEVE JOBS and his former partner STEVE WOZNIAK.

Here we go again, stop acting like fanboys and read the facts. Bill Gates was an important pioneer and who ever doesn't think so is an idiot [no offense to anybody, but you know how speech goes]. I dunno, but this is bull. How is Bill Gates shrewd? He's the type of person that thinks, hey, these guys need funds at charity XY, let's give them 10 billion. That's a business man, I haven't seen Jobs do this. :P

Fail? Mega Epic.

You folks need to read more. :(

You've just perfectly described as to what I'd like to call a great chess player. You're calling ol' Billy G a fraud because he's not a pawn.

He had a vision to have his OS on every desktop in the world. The result: low-cost personal computers in every home. He created opportunity for hardware vendors and OEMs alike to have the ability to compete in an ecosystem where otherwise, if Apple was the top-cheese, would not have been permitted to exist.

Competition allowed prices to be driven down, which allowed hardware of all sorts of quality and prices to be sold, giving consumers and PC manufactures choices for various budgets.

In fact, without Bill G and his 'fraudulent' Windows you speak so blatantly of, that very computer in your signature wouldn't exist; it would be more among the lines of: iMac 20" G5 2ghz, 1GB RAM, paid $3,000 before tax.

If you seriously think like this in real life, offense aside, I don't think too highly of you, hater.

You've just perfectly described as to what I'd like to call a great chess player. You're calling ol' Billy G a fraud because he's not a pawn.

He had a vision to have his OS on every desktop in the world. The result: low-cost personal computers in every home. He created opportunity for hardware vendors and OEMs alike to have the ability to compete in an ecosystem where otherwise, if Apple was the top-cheese, would not have been permitted to exist.

Competition allowed prices to be driven down, which allowed hardware of all sorts of quality and prices to be sold, giving consumers and PC manufactures choices for various budgets.

In fact, without Bill G and his 'fraudulent' Windows you speak so blatantly of, that very computer in your signature wouldn't exist; it would be more among the lines of: iMac 20" G5 2ghz, 1GB RAM, paid $3,000 before tax.

If you seriously think like this in real life, offense aside, I don't think too highly of you, hater.

Very well said CLiDE. Seriously, some people need to learn that fanboyism is retarded. Now watch him get flamed by every other user here.

You're multi-platform friend,

MoC

Very well said CLiDE. Seriously, some people need to learn that fanboyism is retarded. Now watch him get flamed by every other user here.

You're multi-platform friend,

MoC

Fanboyism is entertaining, especially when they make themselves sound like idiots. -_-

I don't know-- Microsoft seems like its on a downward spiral as of late. Hopefully they can build some confidence in their products again.