Your Car?

51 posts in this topic

No, I wasn't wondering, I knew that 2.40/liter was around $9 a gallon. I can't wait for the day the US switches to something that works better, the metric system haha.

In Britain it is even worse, because they use both metric and imperial.

Yeah we buy food in metric, beer in imperial and milk is sold in metric but we buy it by the pint!

I do nearly everything in metric, apart from driving distances/speeds (but all other distances and speeds are metric).

It's not at all confusing, until I have to use imperial - most senseless system ever invented

Soon to be 2009 Mercury Milan and Mercedes Benz Smart Passion (on order) :) Jon, congrats on the DMC Delorean. I'm looking for a Bricklin, but they are hard to find ;)

Heh, You won't believe it, But I got it for $1,500 out of a junk yard, and the only problem is it has a cracked piston, and the interior is a mess. Other than that, it is in great condition. A couple of months work with some free time, and it will run like new. It has 18k miles on it. Im wasting my late afternoons right now rebuilding a 1991 Yamaha Timberwolf. Its in great shape, but it sat up for 8 years under a car cover, but the carb's jet had to be cleaned, and now the motor is knocking. I think the ring is cracked on it, but thats a weekend project.

The thing I like about a Benz, is the fact that (if it is a diesel) you can run it off of anything, including frier grease, or you could dump the grease from a frying pan after cooking beacon into a vat, refine it, and it run in the thing. The Benz was orgininally designed to run on these types of things. The diesel you get at a gas station is actually too rich for it. They do this to burn the motors down, and make them not last as long, so you have to buy a new one. That Benz will last 700k or more if it is taken care of. A gas engine can run 400k if it is taken care of, and you keep the oil changed.

If run an engine hard, go up one weight on your oil. For example. On my Tiburon, the recommendation is 10w30, however, I run 10 weight 40 in it. Mostly because I run the hell out of it on the weekends. The rest of the week, it sits in my garage with a cover over it.

No, I wasn't wondering, I knew that 2.40/liter was around $9 a gallon. I can't wait for the day the US switches to something that works better, the metric system haha.
That won't happen for a long time. The mass majority is used to the current system, and doesn't want to change it.

I got it for $1,500 out of a junk yard, and the only problem is it has a cracked piston, and the interior is a mess. Other than that, it is in great condition. A couple of months work with some free time, and it will run like new. It has 18k miles on it.

18K with a cracked piston? ;) Are you sure the odometer didn't turn over and it's 118K? :)

Did you run a carfaq on it to get the cars history?

Errr... me?

169cm

You're short :)

You said you do most of your measurements in Metric whereas most people in the UK measure body height in feet.

And don't most people use Stones to measure weight or is that something that no one does anymore?

I for one quite like the UK's dual system, even if Brussels doesn't

Have you been reading the Mail of late? I don't believe "Brussels" cares.

You'd be the first to benefit, because metric is a lot easier to calculate, and having two sets of units used to drive me nutters. I believe I am not the only one. My Scottish apprentice said exacly the same thing, many years ago.

And then all your visitors, who are a great source of income, wouldn't get totally confused.

Have you been reading the Mail of late? I don't believe "Brussels" cares.

You'd be the first to benefit, because metric is a lot easier to calculate, and having two sets of units used to drive me nutters. I believe I am not the only one. My Scottish apprentice said exacly the same thing, many years ago.

And then all your visitors, who are a great source of income, wouldn't get totally confused.

Ah, the daily mail.... :police:

It's actually quite a funny read sometimes.

When you say your Scottish apprentice, don't you mean "padawan"?

Ah, the daily mail.... :hysterical:

It's actually quite a funny read sometimes.

When you say your Scottish apprentice, don't you mean "padawan"?

:lol: No, I am not a jedi :D

I mean that I was a projectionist in Clydebank and he was learning.

6"2 + 9st + American = ERROR

I try to eat healthily and tend to work out a lot. Plus I have a badass dog that I taught to swim in a pool, so now I'm swimming for about 1+ hours a day.

EDIT: I knew it! You measured my weight in stones! :lol:

1996 Mazda 626. Getting on in it's years. And getting hit and run...Not fun.

img0430uf3.jpg

Some guy in a Hummer just side swipes me, and keeps on driving. The car still works, and the bumper thankfully is back on now. And a replaced light.

your quite right Alessandro - Brussels doesn't really care anymore. Which is great because it means UK butchers aren't going to be locked up for selling in imperial...

can I interest you in some abnormally large, mishapen fruit and veg? they are legal now...