Safari 4.0 Developer Preview Released

Takuro

47 posts in this topic

All you need do is

1. Register for a FREE developer account at https://connect.apple.com

2. Read and Accept Agreement, You must NOT post anything from the ADC on this site or the big wide interweb, otherwise we all get banned!! and Mr Jobs will send out the spank elfs.

3 Then Log In, Then Click On Downloads.

4. Then download the appropriate version for your operating system : Tiger, Leopard or Windows. This preview release is English only.

It is not rocket science ;)

Additionally it is very fast and the new Create Web Application from page is funky ; it will save it as an application ( .app file) with working buttons , independent of safari , i believe just for safari enabled macs (need to research what will happen to pc version)

Follow the step i mentioned above, the following instructions are included with the download:

IMPORTANT: Installation Requirements

Please download the appropriate version for your operating system : Tiger, Leopard or Windows. This preview release is English only.

On Tiger, Safari 4 Developer Preview requires a previously installed version of Safari 3.1.1. If you do not have Safari 3.1.1 installed on your system, download and install Safari 3.1.1 from http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

The File is not generally available, you are given license to test, hence you need to register.

((harsh but thats what they want)) Install at your own risk, from many hours useage, No problems at all..

Safari affects other programs, browsing with iTunes require "Safari engine" AFAIK, so reboot to take the new components in place is required.

QuickTime also requires reboot.

A reboot for a browser update? Is Apple reading from Micro$oft's playbook now :-(

A reboot for Safari 4? Yikes. Hopefully that's just a "preview" and not the real thing.

No, Webkit and Quicktime are core OS X components. That's why you need to reboot whenever you update them.

D'oh!! Wow....... sometimes I wonder how these kind of people manage to get OSx86 installed in the first place without the (apparent) slightest bit of knowledge of the Mac OS X system architecture.......

Quicktime shouldn't require a reboot either. They're both APPLICATIONS, not operating system components..

Yes, QuickTime (the application) does not require you to restart, but when Apple updates Quicktime they do not update only the App but a lot of it's components, and some of them are System (core of Mac OS) that other applications use not only QuickTime the app.

I installed 4.0 earlier and noticed a difference immediately. Not an "OMG I JUST BURNED A HOLE IN MY ROUTER z0rz" fast, but a definite improvement in page load time. No idea yet on java as I haven't used anything with it yet.

Is there an option for "Close download dialog box after done" sort of thing in this preview version?

No, at least not that I've seen, anyway. The Preferences are pretty much the same as they were in previous versions.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead....

I just installed JaS 10.5.4 and updated to 10.5.5 (via Combo Update). I'm trying to install the Safari 4 DP, but it tells me "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." I have Safari 3.1.2 installed, which AFAIK is the main requirement for the installation.

It's not too much of a big deal, because I can download WebKit, but I'd like to know what checks this installer runs on the system. Opening the pkg in Pacifist doesn't provide any useful information.

• 3 months later...
Sorry to bring this back from the dead....

I just installed JaS 10.5.4 and updated to 10.5.5 (via Combo Update). I'm trying to install the Safari 4 DP, but it tells me "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." I have Safari 3.1.2 installed, which AFAIK is the main requirement for the installation.

It's not too much of a big deal, because I can download WebKit, but I'd like to know what checks this installer runs on the system. Opening the pkg in Pacifist doesn't provide any useful information.

You have to have OS X 10.5.6 and the latest security update (09-001 I believe) to install safari. Technically you can change your system version in a plist (look it up) to get it instaled but I wouldn't...they make it 10.5.6 or higher for a reason.

MGJulius

You have to have OS X 10.5.6 and the latest security update (09-001 I believe) to install safari. Technically you can change your system version in a plist (look it up) to get it instaled but I wouldn't...they make it 10.5.6 or higher for a reason.

MGJulius

Then again, it does not work in 10.5.7 either, so might just be a way to limit the audience to one release and be better able to reproduce bugs.

I have not read any of this thread and it probably has been suggested before: If you are just interested in the new render (HTML 5 etc), maybe you could try a nightly version of WebKit, webkit.org. You won't get any of the new eye candy (Top sites, Cover flow), though.