Obama Democratic Candidate for 2008

32 posts in this topic

Why does everyone think McCain will win? I just don't get it.
Because McCain is a Republican and (tinkly brainwashing noise) Republicans are EVIL.
What specific problem do these people have with Obama. People who claim lack of experience, what is it really? (I am not referring to race or anything else stupid here) I am referring to Obama's qualities, what has he done to rub you the wrong way? WHY do you think hes inexperienced? (is it simply his age?) Why do you think Hillary Clinton is MORE experienced? Why do you think John McCain would do a better job? I would really like to know.Thank You
It's not the qualities of a candidate. I like Obama as a person and he is very charismatic. As Hillary put it though, "You can't vote present as the President."

Because McCain is a Republican and (tinkly brainwashing noise) Republicans are EVIL.It's not the qualities of a candidate. I like Obama as a person and he is very charismatic. As Hillary put it though, "You can't vote present as the President."

Barack Obama voted present 129 times during his time as an Illinois State Senator. However, he voted 4000 times. He voted present on issues which he felt were drafted unconstitutionally, or on measures he saw as part of a broader legislative strategy (which he did not agree with).

That doesn't sound that bad to me.

And for that matter, presidents don't vote (for legislation), but if you are translate a president's positions and public clout INTO a vote, then yes, presidents Can and HAVE voted present many times before. Any time a president says "it is not the place of the president to..." THAT is voting present.

Hillary oversimplifies the political process for the uneducated drone to understand.

Listen, I'm not crazy about him and I barely like him but he has experience. Hillary should have been in Obama's place. So what if Obama has charisma, it won't help him at 3 AM with that phone call. :)

Again, listen, Obama has very little experience. It's the same thing like giving a car to somebody whose only car training is Need For Speed on his/her gaming system. What happens to the car and driver? They both crash and some bad thing happens quickly. Now plug Obama into my analogy.

I'm not going to sit here and criticize your choice. But I would like to point out that I think your analogy is faulty in that it fails to accurately reflect the position of the two candidates.

I'm not going to tell you that Obama has more experience than McCain. That would be silly. However, he was a state senator for 7 years and has been a U.S. senator for 3 years. That's not Need For Speed, that's legitimate experience in politics. It may not be as much as McCain, but at least in my opinion, I value agenda, charisma, and foreign policy expertise (don't say a word about McCain's "foreign policy expertise"; anyone who confuses Sunnis and Shiites and refers to "President Putin of Germany" and doesn't know what Al-Qaeda is or where they even are is in no way fit to run any country in the world) more than political experience. Experience isn't always best; perhaps what the country needs is a new look, a new pace. I personally think that the last 7 years are some of the darkest in recent history; and McCain will only elongate that period by keeping the country bankrupt with tax cuts and the war. This country is trillions in debt. You can't help that with tax cuts. We're going to need more taxes, unfortunately, and we're going to need to get out of Iraq, before we can begin digging ourselves out of the tremendous hole we have placed ourselves in.

I'm not going to sit here and criticize your choice. But I would like to point out that I think your analogy is faulty in that it fails to accurately reflect the position of the two candidates.

I'm not going to tell you that Obama has more experience than McCain. That would be silly. However, he was a state senator for 7 years and has been a U.S. senator for 3 years. That's not Need For Speed, that's legitimate experience in politics. It may not be as much as McCain, but at least in my opinion, I value agenda, charisma, and foreign policy expertise (don't say a word about McCain's "foreign policy expertise"; anyone who confuses Sunnis and Shiites and refers to "President Putin of Germany" and doesn't know what Al-Qaeda is or where they even are is in no way fit to run any country in the world) more than political experience. Experience isn't always best; perhaps what the country needs is a new look, a new pace. I personally think that the last 7 years are some of the darkest in recent history; and McCain will only elongate that period by keeping the country bankrupt with tax cuts and the war. This country is trillions in debt. You can't help that with tax cuts. We're going to need more taxes, unfortunately, and we're going to need to get out of Iraq, before we can begin digging ourselves out of the tremendous hole we have placed ourselves in.

I agree with you (mostly in the last few sentences)

Heres what were really looking at. Obama has LESS WASHINGTON POLITICIAN EXPERIENCE, but he has a VARIETY OF EXPERIENCE (doing different things outside politics). McCain's background is purely military and political, nothing else. It's no surprise that he sees the world through those terms.

I agree with you (mostly in the last few sentences)

Heres what were really looking at. Obama has LESS WASHINGTON POLITICIAN EXPERIENCE, but he has a VARIETY OF EXPERIENCE (doing different things outside politics). McCain's background is purely military and political, nothing else. It's no surprise that he sees the world through those terms.

Exactly. Part of the reason the last seven years have turned out is because we as a country are looking at everything straightforwardly and from a purely military and political standpoint. McCain is, at best, going to continue doing that. The country's subsequent further decline will reflect that.

Exactly. Part of the reason the last seven years have turned out is because we as a country are looking at everything straightforwardly and from a purely military and political standpoint. McCain is, at best, going to continue doing that. The country's subsequent further decline will reflect that.

No, we looked at it (and I loathe to do a bash, but there is no other choice) through Bush-ism. It was neither military nor political. It was, simply put, Bush's view on things.

Why does everyone think McCain will win? I just don't get it.

Because the republicans are famous for their fear mongering, and because there are just enough morons in this country that always seem to fall for it. Who would have thought that bush would have been re-elected :):P