my first mac

9 posts in this topic

ok folks i got the bug and just bought a second hand mac off ebay, its a g3 350 with 6gig hard drive, it has os 9 .2 on it , now my question is which is best to put on it 9.2 or osx and what about speed this is going to end up in my kids bedroom so i need to get a wireless card and aol software any suggestions will be accepted.

oh yes i paid £45 including delivery and keyboard and mouse , i also got a dvi to vga for £3.99

:pirate2: so more of this going on lol

Well unless it has a DVD drive your not going to be able to install OS X. OS 9 is all but dead now so it's not going to do you much good - plus it was a terrible OS when they made it and it didn't get any better with age.

Also why did you buy a DVI to VGA adapter - a g3 350 is not going to have a DVI port? Is it?

Throw in at least an 80gb 7,200 rpm hard drive then Max out the ram on it and toss OS 10.3 on there.

It'll be a wee bit of money around $200 USD for all that hardware but in the end you get a fabulous useable machine.

If you don't want to upgrade the hardware then OS X will pretty much fill that 6gig drive up and it'll be absimally slow. The ram issue is another problem since OS X loves ram and anything less than 256mb is unusable.

OS 9 represents a different set of problems though, its not likely that you can even find a wireless card with drivers (that work well) in OS 9.

Good luck let us know what you decide.

www.newegg.com is a great site to buy stuff for it if you live in the states.

To max your pleasure, overclock it to 400Mhz ( real simple - switch thingies on motherboard), get the CD version of Tiger and install it (cd 1 and 2 needed for install), and if you really want to speed it up, get a $20 Radeon 7000 Mac PCI (or even a GeForce FX 5200 if you're crazy) off eBay and use PCI Extreme! to enable Quartz Extreme UI acceleration. With that, you will have an impressive machine (I've got the same).

http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/02/0710ek.html (overclock guide - don't go over 400MHz).

Hi everyone just a quick update to my new mac , ok i got it delivered and first thing i did was stick memory upto 300mb roughly, it now has 2 x 9gb hard drives in it and i added a os x tiger and a belkin 7001 wireless card in it , i also added a dvd drive to it, well heres my first feelings on using it , speed is actually very good , i was not exspecting much or should i say matched pc specs i was expecting about same performance , well i actually think its more like a 700mhz pc in useage terms , it is now sitting in my eldest daughters bedroom with aol software running on it , the rage 128 card runs very well even thou its only 16meg , i am so impressed with the ease of use and simplicity to upgrade and install os x tiger that i am now looking for a second one for my other daughter, games wise ok its not the greatest machine but i was no exspecting to run games on it however i have downloaded a couple of shareware games for it and they run great.

my daughter is 12 and here are her impressions of the machine,

"its way cool and aol runs great " she also likes the os x desktop as she thinks its well trendy.

my hightlights to my slow move to macs is the with the g3 350 (blue and White) it was easy to get into, good to upgrade and a joy to install os x on, the belkin card was accepted straight away and all i had to do to configure it was to tell it in network config i was using airport and i used the wap number for the password.

if any pc users are concidering getting a machine for there kids i recommend they go down this route, myself i have been useing pc's since the good old days of 286's so yes alot time , this is my first look ever at mac's and within a day of opening it up and switching it on i have got a extremely usable system up and running.

oh yes all the spare parts memory, dvd and monitor all came from a 350mhz pc which has now found a new home in a skip.

and thanks guys for the info needed here, and as for os 9 well i am so glad i am not using it, it isbloody horrible lol, but os x tiger gets my thumbs up here, even updated it to 10.4.5 online with no problems what so ever.

so my last words are really this ok you might pay a little extra for what you think you are getting a power match but i think this

look at machine speed ie 350 400 etc and double it to get performance of equivilant pc setup with windows 98 or me vrs os x tiger.

but ram is a real factor and yes 256meg in the mac is a total must have.

It depends on what Mac Os X version you want to install.If I'm correct, Tiger only ships out on DVDs. So unless you buy an external DVD rom, nothing else you can do.That's what I had to do.Or, find a tiger Img and mount it.Install it from there if you can.

That's good to hear.

I have an old Powerbook meself, Wallstreet series. It's currently running OS 9, but I think I'll buy some more RAM and a bigger HD so I can install OS X on it as well; if not I'll never use it I think *LOL* (I've been spoiled by my dual-boot hackintosh).

i got tiger on cd version !! but i got a dvd rom drive fitted now !! just tested acouple of dvd's on the system, i am well impressed , i just got another off ebay, so another pc getting ransacked and another mac to be upgraded !! wow easy learning curve on theses wondefull machines.