Silicon Image SIL 3512 SATA Comtroller

kemikal-aa

19 posts in this topic

I have a PCI Silicon Image SIL 3512 SATA Comtroller In a dell Dimension 3000 I was wondering if anyone has tried this out with a JAS 10.5.2 Install DVD. I wanna know if im going to have issues before I even get to installing it. I have searched the forums and found nothing on this card.

@ kemikal-aa

Sil 3512 works great. You can boot from it.

u need to add ID,s inserted int kext and permitions correctly setup.

generally

~/Extensons/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/info.plist

or

~/Extensons/IOATA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/info.plist

if you don't have AppleVIAATA in your leo setup get it from a Tiger DVD using pacifist

my IDs are

<string>0x43791002 0x43761002 0x528810B9 0x31491106 0x35121095 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x2360197b 0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b 0x00ee10de 0x28258086 0x28208086</string>

do not forget to chown and chmod and touch

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/... yr full patch to .../Extensions/*.*

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/... yr full patch to .../Extensions/*.*

touch /Volumes/... yr full patch to .../Extensions

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I see you both have a working sil 3512 setup. I just bought a PCI card with this chipset, but I can't get RAID to work.

I installed using the Kaliway 10.5.2 which has the AppleVIAATA.kext with the correct values already in there. Is there something else I have to do? When I create a raid set in the bios, the 2 disks get unrecognized in OSX.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Working" is a relative term here.. the hack used basically forces AppleVIAATA.kext to load for the hardware, as this a very general-purpose IDE controller driver, it loads & works. What this is *not* is a working driver intended for SiL 3512 hardware, so any clever functions (such as RAID) are unlikely to work. The SiL 3132 has a proper driver, iirc, which supports RAID etc.

• 2 months later...

Would this allow a Sil 3512 Cardbus adaptor to work on my Powerbook G3 (Pismo)? I'm looking at the Rosewill RC-604 card, which isn't advertised as being Mac compatible but does have the Sil 3512 chipset that seems to working for some people. The card is cheap enough that I may just buy it and try it, but I wanted to check here first to see if anybody has any idea.

The SiL 3132 has a proper driver, iirc, which supports RAID etc.

that´s the half of the truth. the sil3132 driver doesn´t work proper on leo if you use more than 3.5GB ram. in this case you will have kp´s and freezes. still waiting desperately for the 64Bit driver

just wanted to mention that before someone is going to spend some money for it :(

Hi,

I have this chipset on a pcmcia card plugged into my d630. I'm trying to make it work but it don't seems to be ok.

I tried to flash the bios in windows but I don't know if it worked or not because it was not able to give me info with the -v in SiFlashBios something.

I've edited the viaata.kext as it is said in the thread.

In my system profiler, I've got a PC card known as

pci1095,3512:

Function: Mass Storage Controller

Vendor: Unknown

Type: CardBus

Vendor ID: 4245

Device ID: 13586

It seems to be ok but I can't see any Hard drive. In the serial ata device tree I only see my internal HDD and a slot for another one but no trace of my external HDD.

What can I do ?

• 3 months later...

I managed to make work an eSata / SATA - RAID card based on Sil3512 chipset with AppleVIAATA.kextv0.2 under 10.5.6 Retail Leopard install on GA-P35-DS3L.

I edited the .kext as said in the begining of the topic : added 0x35121095 ID's in Info.plist

The kext can be found via google there is a google group so you should find it. I can't post mine (already modified) in here (rules).

Anyway, i just figured out that it doesn't work anymore. It just worked once and without hot-pluging.

Trying to figure it out...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5723 is a steelvine hardware controller. after a correct configuration the raid should be recognized by the os.

usually it´s done by some hardware settings - jumper?

Thanks peach-os but could you be a little more specific? The steelvine controller works great with windows 7. What kind of jumper should i change and how will it affect my raid configuration. Thanks.