Dual 9800 GTX 512 Working in OSX86!

aqua-mac

165 posts in this topic

guys,,,i've probably just missed something really obvious,,but,

i plan to do this with two bios modded 512mb 7600gs's.

i understand the theory behind this whole thing,,,but

what is the plist that's shown at the start..(the one that's merged)

as in,,,what file is the starting point,,,that we add the second cards details to..

thanks all.

guys,,,i've probably just missed something really obvious,,but,

i plan to do this with two bios modded 512mb 7600gs's.

i understand the theory behind this whole thing,,,but

what is the plist that's shown at the start..(the one that's merged)

as in,,,what file is the starting point,,,that we add the second cards details to..

thanks all.

Hi, im not on my osx but i remember someone that had 2 cards installed, the settings for the second video was done by duplicating the settings in Boot.plist of the first card and just changing the hardware id (pcix0 etc..... )

hope it helps

p.s. I have my nvidia 9800GT working with opengl (300fps+ @ 1280x1024x32 85hz) on osx 1.5.5 with EFI and chamelleon ( Ideneb torrent ). I used the 8800 drivers...

Ive been playing games such as call of duty4 on max graphics smoothly... working great

well,,,,i read up and i learned and i tried,,,but to no avail :thumbsup_anim:

i made my own strings,,,,used efi studio strings and used other peoples strings,,but the only qe + ci success i could get was

with a single card installed and a single card string added to boot.plist.

if i remember correctly i couldn't get qe+ci on dual cards, or either single card if i used a dual efi string...

however,,i did end up getting my two modded 512mb en7600gs pcie cards running side by side,

WITH qe + ci using nvinject 0.0.9 on 10.5.2leo4all upgraded to 10.5.3 by kalyway...

i had no luck with any nvinstallers i could find,,,but i found a package called something along the lines of geforce1052.zip

if i can help anyone else trying this method,, pm me :(

strange this is,,,ones a dual dvi card and ones a dvi/vga.

the dvi/vga card will only output on vga.....maybe an nvcap issue??? but honestly,,,i'm not planning to pursue as i only want 3 screens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi aqua-mac,

I've used your installer in combination with nDarwin to get my XFX 9600GT (G94) working beautifully with on 680i with iDeneb v 1.3 10.5.5.

I've got another 9600GT that I ordinarily run in SLi in Windows but I've removed it temporarily while I get the OSX86 thing off the ground.

I was wondering if you, or anyone here, could help me get both cards running so I don't have to swap hardware when I'm moving between OSX and Windows?

I started a thread about it here but it might be easiest to keep it all in your thread. ;)

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I have one 9800 GTX working flawlessly, and I don't have room in my tower for another one unfortunately, but I really would like to have a second card for the my third monitor.

I have a Radeon x1800 GTO laying around and I've been fooling around with it, to no success.

Anyone know if this is even possible? In my readings I've found typically the solution to getting the 1800GTO to work was to use natit.kext ... but I had to remove that to get the 9800 GTX to go.

So I suppose I need to figure out how to get the 1800 to work using gfx strings, as I did with the 9800 but I haven't found the info yet on how to properly do that.

• 2 weeks later...

System Specs

EVGA 750i Chipset Intel Board

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale Stock 3.0ghz Oc'ed to 3.6ghz

8 Gigs DDR2 Ram

2x nVidia 9800 GTX Graphic Cards.

Now call me stupid or an idiot or what ever. But is there an easy installer for the 9800 gtx cards? or Just need to edit system files for dual cards? I got one yanked right now as it was the only way to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 and apply the nforce nvidia gfx driver fix. As when I attempted with both cards it died. (hang on boot, black screen)

So what is needed for me to get the 2nd one working so I can boot seamlessly into WinXp 64bit and Mac OS X? Mac OS X is running smooth right now with the 2nd card removed.

Thanks in advanced. need more info let me know

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay so I went through all the steps for my 9800 GTX in sli mode. I got them working Mac OS X so they are recognized in the system profiler. I've been reading over this thread and I must of missed something.

How do I enable res change, and QE/CI? CI = software and QE = not supported.

I am using Kalyway 10.5.2

The system is a

EVGA nforce 750i chipset

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale CPU stock 3.0 OC'ed to 3.6ghz

8 gigs Kingston HyperX Gaming Memory Stock @ 1066, currently 800

2 BFG Tech nVidia 9800 GTX Overclocked Edition gfx cards

Mac OS X is on a IDE Drive. I haven't applied any updates yet.

I am open to suggestions on how to get res, and qe/ci working. BTW I am also using a DVI->VGA Adapter on 1 port, and on the other is DVI->HDMI Cable. They both go to the same source (32" LCD TV) but I am using the VGA Connector right now.

Thanks Jon

Edit :: I just updated the system to 10.5.5 and still no QE/CI ;)

Hello aqua-mac,

I just ready your thread about the 9800gtx x2. I am just wondering that since SLI don't really work in Leopard. What is the advantage of having 2 9800gtx? will it give advantage in editing graphics and running games? Or it just allows you to have extra display?

I am planning to build a hackintosh for editing graphics, playing games is optional, like World of warcraft and warcraft3. I will be using a 30" lcd with possible 2560x1600 resolution. Do you think 9800gtx x2 is going to be better or 9800gx2? I am tired of waiting for ATI 40xx to work on leopard. Will 9800gtx+ 1gb give advantage to graphics editing? Hope you can give me some suggestion.

Thanks & regards

Joe

It seems that 9800 GX2 will only work on a small selection of X48 motherboards. Works on my Asus P5E3 deluxe wifi@n board (if the 9800 GX2 is in the second PCIe slot only) but not Gigabyte X48 DQ6 surprisingly, however that board will support 2 separate cards. So I think that is the way to go and will give you less problems in the long term. At present, the main advantage of 2 cards is more than 2 monitors in OSX as SLi wont work in Leo, but maybe Snow Leo will eventually change that.

Thanks aqua-mac and everybody else this has been a great help already. I am hoping somebody can help shed light on my current dual card woes...

I've got a abit ip35 pro - (intel ich9??)

intel q6700

8gb ddr2

im at 10.5.6 and currently using efi strings for graphics support no nvinjects or darwins or anything like that.

and two 512mb 9600 GT's....

So no real problem getting either card to work in either slot... quartz and everything using efi strings (only in 10.5.6 tho crashed before that)...

I can even boot to the first card with the second card in place and it shows up in the sys profiler as unidentified.

But if I put the two strings together and try to boot its a kernal panic before i ever make it out of the grey apple.

I used osxtools to make the efi strings for each individually and write them both together to the boot.plist. And I know that I have the correct pci addy's from doing the cards individually.

Anybody have any insight as to where i might be going wrong here? Or is this just something that wont work on my chipset? it seems most of the successes in the thread have been 780i...

As a side note i also have a 512 and a 256 8600mb GT card that have the same problem with duals.

I already have the four monitors on my desk and I am dying to see them all run as one... thanks for the help!

my com would hang just before the login screen and i have to do a hard reset. i solved this by changing(the font in red). it boots and i get QE/CI but when i connect a monitor to the second card, it does not work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>

<string>0x01000000</string>

<key>@2,#size-cells</key>

<string>0x00000000</string>

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>

<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>

<string>0x02000000</string>

<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,reg</key>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAIA==

</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>3172a</string>

</dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@3,compatible</key>

<key>@3,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@3,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@4,compatible</key>

<key>@4,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@4,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>

<string>0x01000000</string>

<key>@2,#size-cells</key>

<string>0x00000000</string>

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>

<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>

<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,reg</key>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAIA==

</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>3172a</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

• 1 month later...
my com would hang just before the login screen and i have to do a hard reset. i solved this by changing(the font in red). it boots and i get QE/CI but when i connect a monitor to the second card, it does not work.

I just attempted the same thing. Ditto on the result. I get it to boot and both monitors on the main card work perfectly QI/CE and all... but nada for the second card. It shows up in system profiler and is recognized correctly but doesn't show that any displays are available. plugged in or not.

I can post my string if anybody thinks they can help solve this. Ive tried mucking about with some of the other plist entries but nada.

• 3 weeks later...
Been working on this for a while and I finally got it to work. Dual 9800 GTX 512 Graphics cards working in a hackintosh. I did it using GFX strings that I made for 2 cards. I could not get it to work with NVInject. Actually in the end, it was not that difficult when I thought about it logically. I wrote 2 input files individually for the two cards and their positions in the motherboard, then amalgamated the two input files together, then ran GFX strings.

I have some problems running dual cards.

Until recently, i only had a GF8800GTS 512 (G92) and used Natit to make it work. I have dual displays, one DVI and one DVI->VGA converted. However i want to connect a third CRT-display for photo editing. So i borrowed two different cards from work just in case. Those are:

GF8600GT 256M.

GF8400GS 256M.

Each of the three cards work perfectly on their own, however when i put two of them in at the same time, booting stops right after the prompt where i enter -v to see whats going on. It doesnt even till the entire screen with text. But it doesnt look like a kernel panic?

I of course removed natit and i have dual card strings for the cards in my Boot.plist. Attached is an image of the error. Havnt been able to find ANYTHING about it =(

post-11016-1240682620_thumb.jpg

Only a few boards will boot 2 NV cards without setting boot from the second card so you may well have a problem. X48 Asus boards work but I have found that Gigabyte boards need to be set to boot from the second card otherwise they will stick at the blue screen. That is X35, X38 & X48.

Which Mainboard do you have. Can you attach a copy of your com.apple.boot.plist to your next post.

Only a few boards will boot 2 NV cards without setting boot from the second card so you may well have a problem. X48 Asus boards work but I have found that Gigabyte boards need to be set to boot from the second card otherwise they will stick at the blue screen. That is X35, X38 & X48.

Which Mainboard do you have.

I have an ASUS P5E. Could it just be that i never visited that menu with 2 cards in? Maybe PEG2 does only appear then? Cant restart now as im in the middle of a raid in WoW but ill be done soon and ill try again =)

I have an ASUS P5E. Could it just be that i never visited that menu with 2 cards in? Maybe PEG2 does only appear then? Cant restart now as im in the middle of a raid in WoW but ill be done soon and ill try again =)

Ok then, card inserted, reboot -> BIOS. No PEG2 option. So basically i'm screwed?

Could i perhaps get a PCI card and choose PCI/PEG and put the PCI card further down the lane?

aqua-mac, thanks so much for your work. I have been using GFX strings for about 6 months now with no problems. (9800GTX)

I want to add another 9800 GTX so that i can power a 30" monitors, and add it to my dual 22" (and flip them to portait)

My question is this, Can i power a 30" monitor with dual dvi link? Two video cards, and four monitors is possible, but is dual link DVI possible?

Thanks

Dear InsanelyMac Forums,

Hello. About 6 months ago, I followed a tutorial on how to run an nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX on a Hackintosh (10.5.3).

It worked fantastically and I thank all of you for that, and all the work that's gone into stuff. You guys are life savers.

I have recently added a second 9800 GTX and would like to enable both of these cards (I understand SLi is not possible, but more monitors = better).

I found this thread, and understand we have gotten dual 9800 GTX's working.

I was wondering if someone would be so kind as you give me some instructions on how exactly you did this. The posts I've read seemed a little bit lacking in step-by-step instructions, which unfortunately is what I think I need. I would greatly, greatly appreciate this.

Thanks a bunch guys, this really means a lot to me.

nox