Dual 9800 GTX 512 Working in OSX86!

aqua-mac

165 posts in this topic

Azamic,

We are still a little way off from getting this working. You do NOT need to flash your card! When you remove a kext you have to fix the permissions for that kext, otherwise you can leave yourself with a non booting system as you found. For convenience download this script to fix your permissions after you have added a kext to your extensions folder:

Permissions Repair

To get resolution change you must download the input file from post 72 above (you do not need the roms). For instructions on what to do with the input file Go Here

Use the above input file instead of the one provided in the link, you only need to change the PCI address in the input file.

Good Luck.

Busterboo,

It looks like this may take a while looking for a breakthrough. It is not immediately obvious what the problem is, shame Kiko did not outline how he got it going in a Mac Pro, that would be a great help.

I don't have much idea, seems you set it right.

What i would suggest is getting the device-properties i posted from 8800 GT from a Real Mac Pro, add your pci ids, and see how it goes.

Then if it still doesn't work, try to use generated nvcap.

And yeah, Kiko got it working a real Mac Pro but it shouldn't differ much.

I don't have much idea, seems you set it right.

What i would suggest is getting the device-properties i posted from 8800 GT from a Real Mac Pro, add your pci ids, and see how it goes.

Then if it still doesn't work, try to use generated nvcap.

And yeah, Kiko got it working a real Mac Pro but it shouldn't differ much.

Wheres your device-properties for a 8800gt from a real mac? I can't find them.

I'm willing to give it a go.

Edit: Sorry, found it. Will try and report back.

No luck with your 8800gt device properties. Trying custom NVCap values now.

Nope, Even with custom NVCap values. My display loses signal when loginwindow loads. And I can't even connect to the computer remotely.

I don't know if this is relevant, but, if you look in IOPCIFamily.kext at the info.plist, you see this, the device id (0604) for the 9800 GTX:

<key>IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOPCI2PCIBridge</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x06040000&0xffff0000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

What's that all about, could this be conflicting with the cards device id? Why would that device id be in there?

Azamic,

We are still a little way off from getting this working. You do NOT need to flash your card! When you remove a kext you have to fix the permissions for that kext, otherwise you can leave yourself with a non booting system as you found. For convenience download this script to fix your permissions after you have added a kext to your extensions folder:

Permissions Repair

To get resolution change you must download the input file from post 72 above (you do not need the roms). For instructions on what to do with the input file Go Here

Use the above input file instead of the one provided in the link, you only need to change the PCI address in the input file.

Good Luck.

Busterboo,

It looks like this may take a while looking for a breakthrough. It is not immediately obvious what the problem is, shame Kiko did not outline how he got it going in a Mac Pro, that would be a great help.

HI Aqua

I finally managed to fix the descriptions for my 9800gx2. My system profile reads as follows:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0604

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 0791

Displays:

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL/HDMI:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL/HDMI

ROM Revision: 0790

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Unfortunately I cannot change the resolution to anything by 1024x768. I have removed NVDAResman.kext and NVinject.kext (that is why I am getting the correct description of my card in system profiler using the GFX strings approach). I still have the following kexts on the system:

GeForce.kext

GeForceVADriver.bundle

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

OpenGL.framework

Please guide me as to how I can get additional resolution options. Do I need to remove any more kexts?

Thanks for any advice in advance :P

BTW, my system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 o/c@3.5GHz - Aircooled

M/B: XFX Nvidia Nforce 790i SLI Ultra

Mem: Patriot DDR3 PC 10666 @1333MHz

GPU: XFX GeForce 9800GX2 (Can't change resolution other than 1024x768 ;) )

Sound: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum (Not working with 10.5.2 :))

HDD: 2x500GB SATA WD Caviar & 1x750GB SATA WD Caviar

post-240263-1213045866_thumb.png

Leave them in there.

Sorry, just saw that you did list NV50. What is the res of your monitor. You need to add in your com.appleplist as I have below, the res of your monitor:

(You will not be able to switch res, but you will boot with the correct res)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

comapple.jpeg

Been doing some experimenting and poking around.

Could this have anything to do with the NVPM value?

nvpmme0.png

Oh, And i removed the device id from that iopcifamily kext you mentioned. It didn't effect my system. But didn't help make my GX2 work either.

Leave them in there.

Sorry, just saw that you did list NV50. What is the res of your monitor. You need to add in your com.appleplist as I have below, the res of your monitor:

(You will not be able to switch res, but you will boot with the correct res)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

comapple.jpeg

I tried what you explained up there. Added 1280x768x32 under Graphics MOde key in com.appleplist. Repaired permissions using Disk Utility, rebooted with -f flag but still I get 1024x768x32 :(

As you may have noticed from my System Profiler output, my display is connected to the HDMI/DVI part of the card and not the one with DVI out only:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL

ROM Revision: 0791

Displays:

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL/HDMI:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 SDL/HDMI

ROM Revision: 0790

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Does it have something to do with connecting my display in the lower socket on my 9800gx2? But again, under the Multiple GPU mode, I can only get display when I connect to the lower socket.

Need help get my customized resolution pls!

I finally got this card working (QE/CI) using kexts in post 13# and nvkush (with 512mb plist); just add 0x060410de to info.plist->iopciprimarymatch/iopcimatch in every graphic kexts.  No results using efi strings, but at least i got correct resolution and hardware acelleration. Hope this will help.

I finally got this card working (QE/CI) using kexts in post 13# and nvkush (with 512mb plist); just add 0x060410de to info.plist->iopciprimarymatch/iopcimatch in every graphic kexts. No results using efi strings, but at least i got correct resolution and hardware acelleration. Hope this will help.

Nice! Hopefully i'll be able to get mine working. Could you post a system profiler screenshot?

Really would like to hear about this, which kexts exactly?

Aqua, I got success with my 9800gx2. I have posted the procedure and kexts in my post here

Good luck!

EDIT: As you may notice from the images, my system profiler is not reporting the VRAM as 512MB for each of the two 9800GX2 cores. I am only getting 256MB. Any solutions?

Alex99, how did you manage to get your System profiler to report 512MB for each core?

post-240263-1213360513_thumb.png

post-240263-1213360526_thumb.png

I'm having no luck... Whatever i do i can't get passed my solid blue or black screen with a stuck cursor.

Could someone who's got their GX2 working dump their rom?

I am sorry to hear that bubsterboo. If you can tell me how I can dump my rom, I will do so since my GX2 is working great now!

Me neither, still stuck on the blue screen. Azamic, you are running 10.5.3 aren't you?

No Aqua, I am running 10.5.2 (Leo4all). Cannot upgrade to 10.5.3 using the combo update. However, I am using 10.5.3 kexts for everything.

I am still struggling to get the ROM for my 9800gx2... will post it in a while.

I just add RAM string to nvkush plist (don't use DiaboliK plist generator), no ROM dumping.

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAIA==

</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>