Services to replace .Mac

ChocolateJeff

19 posts in this topic

Hi I'm fairly new to macs and OS X. I just got my new Macbook after a few months of using a Hackintosh ;)

I love my Macbook and I want to unleash its full potential and get the "mac" experience. I am sure most of you PC switchers can relate to my situation.

iChat.... EVERYBODY I know uses MSN Messenger... (no vid chat... webcam is not that useful anymore :P, still like taking pictures :D) If anybody wants to add me into their iChat mail me at chocolatejeff@gmail, I would love to use it because I think its an awesome messaging app except nobody uses it... (not that I know)

.Mac ... now I was very careful with this, I don't want to be wasting my money on stuff like this I guess.. I'm an engineer and I'm not sure I have to much time for "designing web" although I am also an artist and musician and would be happy to maintain a website.. ;) I know I can register for dot mac for free for like 60 days? or 30 days? I haven't used this feature since I started using my mac (6 months ago) though and I'm just curious if anybody here uses it and think its worth it...

Overall though, I love my mac and would love to use the ilife apps to capture my personal life and digitize it "Mac-style" to movies, songs, dvd and the internet :P I wonder if there are any free apps there to replace dot mac.. (backup, photo album, websites (how is the bandwich of .Mac like anyway?)) and if there is any vid possibilities for vid chatting with MSN contacts... (besides the "Windows" route ;) )..

MAC FOREVER.. p/s Vista can't never be as good as Leopard.. :P

Google for some of this info, it will help with the iChat to MSN thing.

Look for Allforces blog on iChat to MSN via Jabber transport. Use either netlab.cz or jabber.linuxlovers.at as the server. Follow the rest of the instrtuctions as is. I have used iChat for my MSN needs constantly for the past year and a half and I'm never looking back. I hear MSN gets adverts now... I haven't seen an ad on my comp unless it's within a webpage.

iChat has a "share" desktop feature which is useful for me... if I can ever make use of it :P (nobody uses mac or aim) Using the Jabber route for MSN = no vid but does the share desktop feature still working? and if so, does that means someone using Windows can share desktop with me via their MSN messenger? Hmm...

I heard of Adium but have never really tried that before. :P Thanks anyways..

;) Peace

(and now it supports video and audio too, although not a smoothly as you would like)

Reaaaaally? How so? An alpha maybe?

Roadmap

Show already completed milestones

Milestone: Adium X 1.2.5

Due in 1 week (04/27/2008)

61%

Closed tickets: 19 Active tickets: 12

Milestone: Adium X 2.0

No date set

0%

Closed tickets: 0 Active tickets: 12

Voice (and possibly Video) support

Audio/Video is the only thing Apple suck at all. Their we-do-whatever-we-want-and-if-you-dont-like-go-away policy is in my judge the only reason they are not at the top of market's share. Maybe this is the reason they even exist, be exclusive in their ideas, who knows...

Apple is a "love it or hate it" company...

I am at the "luv" side since Apple ][c :( but I'm not blind: they have to be a little more open in some areas.

Anyhow, yes, Adium actually do better than iChat except a very little detail -> iChat Copyright © 2002 – 2007 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. :P You know what I mean...

• 2 weeks later...
Mozy is a good alternative to .mac for storing and backing up files.

It looks like it costs though. Also it only gives u 2GB. Gmail gives you more than that and that you can use as online storage with a Firefox extension.

Is there anything anyone is aware of that is free and uses iSync?

True, only 2 gigabytes. However you can get more space without paying by referring people. Despite its storage limits, Mozy remains one of the easiest way to back up data. Yeah I did try GSpace to use Gmail to store my stuff, but it really littered up my inbox, to the point where I couldn't find anything. I have also heard of 4Shared which seems good, 5GB storage.

True, only 2 gigabytes. However you can get more space without paying by referring people. Despite its storage limits, Mozy remains one of the easiest way to back up data. Yeah I did try GSpace to use Gmail to store my stuff, but it really littered up my inbox, to the point where I couldn't find anything. I have also heard of 4Shared which seems good, 5GB storage.

The people that you refer, do they have to be paying customers or just free users? Also how much do you get per referral?

They can be free users or paying users, doesn't matter. For each referral you get something like 256MB of free storage, and although thats not much on its own, that means that 4 referrals = free 1GB extra storage. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have a .Mac account, only because i work at Best Buy, and I am Apple Product Professional, anyhow, if I scored 80% or better on the .Mac quiz, i obtained a free account, which i did, its pretty cool, i like the iDisk feature more than anything, you can of course, upload media to you account, BUT to truly have you own website, you would have to buy a domain and then register it with .Mac, not hard, but still would have to be done. anywho on the topic of msn within iChat, i was wondering the same thing a few days ago, and googled all the information, resulting in the sites as follows: Jabber Set up, Affinix PSI (use this link for PSI since the link within the first website, does NOT WORK, so use the one i provided) as for the server goes, use jaim.at i use it and it works, although there are many working servers, so you are not by any means limited. fairly simple to set up, if you need any help, you can reach me here:

AIM: dirtrider1178

E-Mail: robbiemcguire@mac.com (oh yea, the @mac.com comes with a .mac account :P )

~Regards

-Robbie

Sweet Mebster. But the thing is, most sites that offer outrageous amounts of space (e.g. 50GB) go out of business after they are released.

lol. Yeah. You spend 3 weeks uploading your 50GB of precious data just to see the site now redirects you to 'nakedpokers.com' (btw, I don't know if such a website exists but I can totally see some pervert coming up with it).

And Robbiem, that sounds and I wish more places had incentives as simple as that to make their employees keep up to date. I know I would revise for a month if I knew a place I worked at is going to give a MBP away to the employee who scores the highest on a tech test.

lol. Yeah. You spend 3 weeks uploading your 50GB of precious data just to see the site now redirects you to 'nakedpokers.com' (btw, I don't know if such a website exists but I can totally see some pervert coming up with it).

And Robbiem, that sounds and I wish more places had incentives as simple as that to make their employees keep up to date. I know I would revise for a month if I knew a place I worked at is going to give a MBP away to the employee who scores the highest on a tech test.

Lol yea, although when i signed up for it, at the time you didn't need a best buy email address, although now you do, so it kinda used to be public. there was a little while were i didnt wor for best buy, although i still had the ASTO (Apple Sales Training Online) account.