Check out this Grape iMac!

banini_jeque

26 posts in this topic

Yeah it does look awesome man. One thing that I have noticed is there is no plate for the motherboard to cover the gap between the case and side connections? I would get either plexiglass or some other form of plastic and make one, other than that, superb conversion and I am sure it was hard enough to accomplish as is, it must have been a great project though.

To be serious: I planned to do this 1 month before -.- Damn, now it's nothing special anymore. (have only a blue iMac G3 but it's slow as hell so I though I could do this, but hmm.. now I've got to think about it..).

edit:

IS there any discussion-platform for it ? Cause I've got several questions (like: my old laptops's screen would fit perfectly in this case, really - 1280x800 pixel would the resolution be and it really woud fit in it.)

and where to get these parts, especially how to remove everything etc.

Would be very cool though, maybe I don't give it up as it's a cool thing..

trabbikevin, go here: http://www.applefritter.com/node/10574

They have links to everything you should need, including take apart guides etc. Remember though that the grape one I linked to here is a tray loading model, and the slightly newer slot loading ones are much more complex inside, so I don't know if it is even possible to do this mod on those. If it is, they would be preferable since they have a 150 watt power supply and could probably run a Zotac 9300 wifi board with a low power core 2 duo or like an e5200 or something.

I don't know why you would want to put a 1280x800 laptop screen in. It wouldn't fit in the bezel right and would make the machine look far from stock. The whole point of the iMac G3 design is that they have a CRT. I also doubt you could use the stock power supply if you did that, as it is also designed for using the CRT.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why it shouldn't be possible.

I guess it would be even better with the eMac (although, my personal thought, it's a bitt ugly xD but well it's my own opinion)..

Thanks for the answer.. Will see, I mean the iMac G3 doesn't run away, it's on my desk and waits for work <_<

Do it man. I'm about to start testing on a slot load iMac G3 in the next few weeks. I took the motherboard out, and I'm making ribbon cables to extend all of it's connections. On the video ribbon cable, I'm going to connect all the video wires to a vga connector, and connect that to a pc. Then I'm going to one by one connect the rest of the wires to the right pins on the iMac's motherboard until video from the PC shows up on it's screen. If that works, I'll measure the voltage on the wire that caused it to work, and then I'll know that the hack will require that voltage on that wire. Shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: I just found this little board here, which you could use and probably not have to cut anything.

• 1 month later...

n1 !!! Will there be enough space in a g4 Cube for this Board ? I love the design of the cube !

A lot of people have already put ITX boards in cubes. I'm planning on doing one myself soon. I'm buying a cube case for $35 tonight actually, but the guy said it's just the acrylic, so I may have to fab my own chassis. I want it to have a core i7 though, so I may wait for the new Zotac H55 ITX board, and then I can put an i7, replace the wifi with a firewire card, and I want to try putting in a graphics card with a riser as well. I've never seen anyone do ITX AND a graphics card in a cube.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an old Bondi iMac sitting in my closet. What kind of adapter is required to hook up the VGA out from a mini itx board to the display connector on the tray loader iMacs? There is no mention of what kind of adapter the builder of the Grape Zotac iMac used.

• 1 month later...
I have an old Bondi iMac sitting in my closet. What kind of adapter is required to hook up the VGA out from a mini itx board to the display connector on the tray loader iMacs? There is no mention of what kind of adapter the builder of the Grape Zotac iMac used.

The adapter is homemade and actually adapts from the vga pin stubs under the motherboard to the db15 connector for the imac. It actually is mentioned on the site along with links to the pinouts.

The CRT doesn't bother me at all, but I never use the machine for more than an hour at a time. It's not my main Hack/Mac.