Atheros installer for macOS Mojave and Catalina 2.0

1 Screenshot

About This File

Please read me:

Ever since macOS Mojave came out (I mean the first DP) Apple removed the support for Atheros based WiFi Adapters from the IO80211Family.kext, so to fix it we need to add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to the Extensions manually.

After each clean install the AirPortAtheros40.kext needs to be installed and after clean installing Mojave DPs after few times I decides to create this app to save some time.

How to use it:

This application will install the missing AirPortAtheros40.kext into /System/Library/Extensions and after the installation is done and once you reboot your computer the Atheros based WiFi adapters will be enabled.

The installation is the first step of the process and it is fast but the next steps which are repairing the permission on /System/Library/Extensions and rebuilding the system caches might take a while so please wait until you were asked to reboot your computer.

I'm using a TP-Link WDN4800 with an Atheros chipset and it works on other similar hardware.

If this app helped you please consider donating; any amount is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.40.43 PM.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.43.28 PM.PNG

1680545780_ScreenShot2018-09-16at4_43_07PM.PNG.059f2ac981e9580873d85f97a2504e72.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.53.37 PM.PNG

What's New in Version 2.0   See changelog

Released

Disable SIP before running the installer.

Change Log:

• Added the Atheros Support for macOS Catalina.
  • Added macOS detection for necessary file installation.
  • Backing up the original IO80211Family.kext for macOS Catalina to desktop.

Known issues:

• No 5GHz network detection.
  • Rebuilding system caches with SIP enable ends up with errors.
  • After each major macOS Catalina update you may need to run the installer.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 20
  • Confused 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, oldman20 said:

what about Big Sur with AR9285? I cant make it work!

There's no support for Big Sur.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

There's no support for Big Sur.

its mean AR9295 cant work on Big Sur or just Atheros installer for macOS Mojave and Catalina 2.0

not compatibility with it?

On 10/21/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah it works, it wasn't working before I have been testing this since Mojave's release so I made the installer; but now using the clover/kexts/other works on both Mojave and Catalina. I guess the new revisions of clover made this possible which wasn't working before.

You need to disable SIP in recovery mode, boot into macOS and run the installer and once you're done you need to reboot back into recovery and then you need to rebuild caches and prelinkedkernel and then boot back into macOS OR use the steps that @haunteddevil619 suggested.

Hi! im trying to do that.

When i add this kext in to my opencore and enable this kext in kernel, then i cant boot into my system

I drop the kext and opencore configurator add 3 lines. Is this correct?