• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

arenared

arenared

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

of course there is interest. have you not read all the posts in this topic?

people have been wanting an os x live cd since the beginning. they even have a question about a live cd in the faq :S

Oh i agree that the interest is there.. im talking about it WORKING.

We all WANT this to work. But will it .. i doubt it.

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts

Oh i agree that the interest is there.. im talking about it WORKING.

We all WANT this to work. But will it .. i doubt it.

LOL...*cries... The thing is that it WAS working, but f***ing DrX dissappeared without giving me the info as to HOW he made it work dammit. And sorry for not clarifying, I was talking about making ext2fsx work on 10.4.6.

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Alright folks, here comes the first status update:

-The project has now fully resumed development under me. If anyone else wants to contribute, holler here and we'll collaborate.

-I have a fully functional 10.4.6 installation working under VMWare on my AMD AthlonX2 3800+. This means that the system being used for development is AMD ONLY as it is using AMD patches. This means that if a live image is created and SHARED (which is actually unlikely at this point and time), it will only function on AMD systems as I have no Intel system to work with right now.

-The project is now a LiveDVD project, because it is easier for me to work with and assuming that everyone who's here has access to a DVD burner and cheap DVD media, I guess no one will complain.

-As of 2:43 PM, I am currently BUILDING the first test version of a LiveDVD. Once it is completed, it will be tested under VMWare and the results posted, so subscribe to this topic to get the latest news.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
.. cool :gathering: !!

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Sounds cool maybe if you succed you can share the how to and somebody could create a livecd intel compatible.

A LiveCd will be perfect for testing machine compability and for resurecting craqshed systems.

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Status update 2:

-LiveDVD Candidate 1 built and tested: FAILURE

-Problems encountered:
Packages that don't want to load, for odd reasons
OSX {censored} about not being able to write to volume
Above problems produce lockup, continuous error cycles which look like this:

Posted Image
http://img215.images...1crash022nn.jpg

UPDATE: Next Candidate will switch to Mike's or OSX Installer's RC scripts.

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Status Update 3:

-Looks like the main problem is that neither the default rc, Mike's rc, or the rc.cdrom scripts are adequate for a LiveDVD. I'm trying now to create my own, but I find that the process is a NIGHTMARE ^_^ .

So now, I need help with creating an rc file that works.

EDIT:
This is how far I got by forcing the use of rc.cdrom and the "Installation" path (Thats done by including CDIS and its parent directory Installation into /System/):

Posted Image

Dragon

Dragon

Insanely Dragon

• Retired Developers
  • 414 posts
is it possible to make the dvd think it's reading from a harddrive then writing to a ramdisk?

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts

is it possible to make the dvd think it's reading from a harddrive then writing to a ramdisk?

Actually, I think the proper rc script needs to mount the filesystem as readonly, create ramdrives for folders such as /Volumes and /Var, and then launch the proper services. In fact, if someone could get BootCD and run it for me, then give me a copy of the /private directory, it'd be great.

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Update 4

-This morning, I tried booting a hybrid Clone X / Cloned System image in VMWare. As of right now, I think that Clone X gets a lot of the rc correctly, but there are still a ton of read/write issues not being resolved. I'm going to continue to debug later, but in the end I believe I'll need to use a combination of sections from different rc scripts to create a working system. As for now, here's a video of how far the system boots using this latest approach:

http://video.google....1...&pr=goog-sl

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Project has moved to: http://forum.osx86pr...t=0#entry140393

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy