• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

Morpheus Phreak

Morpheus Phreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I've just followed the instruction ( got ati hd 2400 ).. rebooted and just for few sec i saw blue scren and monitor went off. monitor light is blinking but me sure my monitor not supporting 1600+ resolution . May i know how to change resolution in safe mode.. pls help otherwise have to re-install whole osx again.

ufo_all when you first boot up and it asks you to press any key to choose startup options press any key.
At the prompt that comes up type this exactly as it is written (quote marks and all):
"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"
That should change the graphics down to a lower mode and allow you back into the OS to make changes.

ufo_all

ufo_all

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

ufo_all when you first boot up and it asks you to press any key to choose startup options press any key.
At the prompt that comes up type this exactly as it is written (quote marks and all):
"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"
That should change the graphics down to a lower mode and allow you back into the OS to make changes.

Yes i've tired still it is dark.. monitor LED is blinking.. It just goes off after Blue screen apears..Is there any other way to edit.. can i edit with bootable dvd...

jake123

jake123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I got my 2600Pro working with dual screens, I used the Leo4all r2 dvd, and selected the check for 2600.. and it just worked!
I got into System profiler and it says I have the 2600XT (Even though the box and the card's fan say 2600Pro), anyways I looked for system updates and there is an update for the 2600XT firmware, should I do this update or not?
This update is for Mac Pro computers with one or more ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics cards installed, running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later with the Leopard Graphics Update.

It updates the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card firmware on all of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics cards in the Mac Pro to improve system stability.

Installing this update on a 2.8 GHz Mac Pro system configured with multiple hard drives or more than 2GB of RAM will result in the system meeting Energy Star 3.0 requirements.

Thanks

drumthrasher109

drumthrasher109

InsanelyMac Legend

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I got my 2600Pro working with dual screens, I used the Leo4all r2 dvd, and selected the check for 2600.. and it just worked!
I got into System profiler and it says I have the 2600XT (Even though the box and the card's fan say 2600Pro), anyways I looked for system updates and there is an update for the 2600XT firmware, should I do this update or not?

This update is for Mac Pro computers with one or more ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics cards installed, running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later with the Leopard Graphics Update.

It updates the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card firmware on all of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics cards in the Mac Pro to improve system stability.

Installing this update on a 2.8 GHz Mac Pro system configured with multiple hard drives or more than 2GB of RAM will result in the system meeting Energy Star 3.0 requirements.

Thanks

Maybe you (or someone) could help me out with that?

jake123

jake123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Maybe you (or someone) could help me out with that?

Huh? Help you out installing? try the Leo4All v2 dvd (v3 will be out soon!), and select the ATI 2600 driver!

But firmware?

Morpheus Phreak

Morpheus Phreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Huh? Help you out installing? try the Leo4All v2 dvd (v3 will be out soon!), and select the ATI 2600 driver!

But firmware?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would recommend not doing the firmware update.

That firmware is meant for a specific card that is made for the Mac hardware. It is different than the card that you actually own.

Flashing the firmware if it is not the exact correct firmware for your card can damage it permanently.

Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
hey.
i have the 2600 pro. it is giving me a problem with the menus, and popup windows---i'm not sure if this is what you qualify as the white menu. Any ideas how to get this to work. I've used the steps noted in the first post, and they didn't not help me fix it.

Thanks in advance.

drumthrasher109

drumthrasher109

InsanelyMac Legend

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

hey.
i have the 2600 pro. it is giving me a problem with the menus, and popup windows---i'm not sure if this is what you qualify as the white menu. Any ideas how to get this to work. I've used the steps noted in the first post, and they didn't not help me fix it.

Thanks in advance.

You can take a screenshot...Winkey+Shift+3. Shows up on your desktop as 'Picture #.png'.

Maulwurfi

Maulwurfi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
My Radeon X1950Pro broke, and I got a HD 3850 256mb as a replacement.

I managed to get it working with the instructions from the 1st post - I had to remove previous Natit.kext from single user mode (-s) first and the boot into safe mode (-x) to install the HD 3850 things.

But I also have the noisy fan problem. This is bad for me because I am supposed to make music on the Hackmac side (even bought Logic Studio for that).
How can I see the video card temp. in OSX?

I guess I'll wait for a while if somebody comes up with a solution. But if not, what video card would be the best option for a quiet hackmack operation but still powerful enough on the Windows side for playing modern games? Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB?

P.S. One improvement is that I can now shut down (vanilla kernel) - I couldn't with the X1950Pro, had to use the power switch.

Thanks, BTW.

Soundlover

Soundlover

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only applies to the PCI-E". What's driver need for me, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro AGP version card, and what's like patch use this card? Pci-e driver not working this card, my default screen resolution 1024x768, and QE not supported. I use dvi2vga connectors, but don't work. Please write me step by step tutorial this card. Thankyou everybody!

Bernard Tapie

Bernard Tapie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I managed to get it working with the instructions from the 1st post - I had to remove previous Natit.kext from single user mode (-s) first and the boot into safe mode (-x) to install the HD 3850 things.

But I also have the noisy fan problem. This is bad for me because I am supposed to make music on the Hackmac side (even bought Logic Studio for that).

I guess I'll wait for a while if somebody comes up with a solution. But if not, what video card would be the best option for a quiet hackmack operation but still powerful enough on the Windows side for playing modern games? Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB?

P.S. One improvement is that I can now shut down (vanilla kernel) - I couldn't with the X1950Pro, had to use the power switch.

Thanks, BTW.

I'd suggest a fanless video card, but that would mean your case has an excellent airflow. As you already have a HD 3850, change the factory ATI fan for a a quieter one (check Thermalright)

Maulwurfi

Maulwurfi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I'd suggest a fanless video card, but that would mean your case has an excellent airflow. As you already have a HD 3850, change the factory ATI fan for a a quieter one (check Thermalright)

That might be a viable option, I had a Zalman cooler on an older card and it was really quiet. I'd loose the warranty on the card though, but as long I'd be happy... I'll investigate and think about this.

Morpheus Phreak

Morpheus Phreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Thanks, BTW.

I'm working on a BIOS modification right now that will be compatible with the HD3850 256MB cards that have the red fan and are actually Built By ATi (but sold by other companies). The problem with the HD38x0 series is that ATi designed the fan to idle literally at 0RPMs until a threshold temperature of 75*C is hit which is far too hot.

The BIOS I'm working on will use the same control system (Transfer as opposed to hard coded fan speeds) as the BIOS on the cards but with a lower threshold temperature. I'm thinking I'll set a minimum fan speed of 15% and then have it ramp up with it hitting 100% by 75*C.

I'm testing it all out on mine right now to measure noise vs cooling performance. I'm hoping to find a balance that will keep the card idle temps to no more than 45*C and its full load temps to no more than 70*C. Doing this while keeping the card silent is difficult.
Then again I run a BTX system that is literally dead silent so I'm more apt to notice the noise than anyone running an ATX system with fans running.

Maulwurfi

Maulwurfi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for doing all that.

I actually bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler this morning and will install it tonight. I will test in Windows side if I can keep it cool on high stress with the fan on a quiet setting. With the original cooler it went to 100% (super noisy) and temp was 80C after 10 minutes of high stress.

Even the idle noise from the fan was too much for me, so went for the Zalman. Let's see how it goes.
The fan will be at the same speed all the time.

Anyway, is there a way to see the temp of the card on a Hackmac?

ufo_all

ufo_all

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i trried many times all the time it goes blank.. my ATI 2400HD not working on leopard 10.5.2. i quit .. fedup of reinstalling again and again.. i've already installed more than 10 times just to get my graphic card to work.. still there is no good news for ATI 2400. so i uit going back to windos xp and mandriva..good luck all you guys..

drumthrasher109

drumthrasher109

InsanelyMac Legend

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

i trried many times all the time it goes blank.. my ATI 2400HD not working on leopard 10.5.2. i quit .. fedup of reinstalling again and again.. i've already installed more than 10 times just to get my graphic card to work.. still there is no good news for ATI 2400. so i uit going back to windos xp and mandriva..good luck all you guys..

I feel you man. My 2600PRO has never worked properly so I just live without graphic acceleration. I got my resolution changed to what I want, the only thing that really bothers me is that the dock moves around slow and the taskbar isn't transparent.

Maulwurfi

Maulwurfi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Okay guys, here's your solution for the noise problem:

With the stock cooler of Sapphire HD 3850 256MB:
As I told before, in Windows with ATI-tool "scan for artifacts" temp went to over 80C and the fan to very noisy full speed in 10 minutes.

I bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler for 30 euros. Installed in about half an hour, not difficult at all - just have to be careful.
Fan speed at the lowest possible all the time (can adjust with a controller that comes with the cooler, not controlled by software) - practically silent. With this:
The same test doesn't go over 60C. And it-is-silent!

So, I can play Windows games silently and of course this will be as silent and not even get as hot on the Hackmack side.

I am really happy about this, totally worth the 30 and a bit of work changing the cooler.

P.S. The Zalman is quieter (=silent) than the stock cooler even in Windows desktop mode...

lastExile

lastExile

lastExile��

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:netadmin of osx86.hu irc network for the past few years

Okay guys, here's your solution for the noise problem:

With the stock cooler of Sapphire HD 3850 256MB:
As I told before, in Windows with ATI-tool "scan for artifacts" temp went to over 80C and the fan to very noisy full speed in 10 minutes.

I bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler for 30 euros. Installed in about half an hour, not difficult at all - just have to be careful.
Fan speed at the lowest possible all the time (can adjust with a controller that comes with the cooler, not controlled by software) - practically silent. With this:
The same test doesn't go over 60C. And it-is-silent!

So, I can play Windows games silently and of course this will be as silent and not even get as hot on the Hackmack side.

I am really happy about this, totally worth the 30 and a bit of work changing the cooler.

P.S. The Zalman is quieter (=silent) than the stock cooler even in Windows desktop mode...

iagree ! Zalman has some very nice coolers :rolleyes:

Morpheus Phreak

Morpheus Phreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I agree as well. I've always liked the Zalman coolers.

I should have my BIOS mod finished today for those that don't want to modify their cooling system though.

So far I'm able to keep it around 60*C at full load as well. Now I'm just working on the fine-tuning for noise.

Claudio34

Claudio34

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi everybody!

Do you have any info about the HD3650 seen on the new ASUS M70SA-7U011C?

Thank you in advance for your feed back.

The little frenchy..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy