ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 now WORKS CI/QE !

newentry79

248 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
try this one with your X2300.

no attachement, sorry

thank you so much vsbalint,, i installed ur kext uring kext utility on Snow Leopard and added the lines two lines in com.apple.boot.plist and VOILA!! I got the resolution i wanted. But when I try to install FCP i get this

"Alert Final Cut Studio Installer recommends that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card. FCP installer recommends that your system have 64 MB of VRAM; this system has only 0MB of VRAM"

Please help!!

My System Cofig: VAIO CR35, ATI Radeon X2300, using Snow Leopard downloaded from TPB /torrent/5269611

:|:D

[EDIT: i switched on my laptop today morning and it's all gone,, no resolution even. i tried wat i did before and still no good. i dont know what's going on. i'm going crazy]

The forum seems dead!! Isn't there anyone?? help !!! :):D

System Profiler says this:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x718a

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

• 2 months later...
The forum seems dead!! Isn't there anyone?? help !!! :):D

System Profiler says this:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x718a

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

2 Kexts already test on VAIO CR25, ATI Radeon X2300 (718A) on SL 10.6.3

You can switch resolution by SwitchResX.

Good Luck

ATIRadeonX1000.zip

RadeonHD.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I finally got it working with my X2300 (CI/QE @ 1440x900). Here is a zip of the kexts I used:X2300Drivers(by Ice).zip (some may not be required but it works for me). Tested with iPC 10.5.6 and 10.5.8 on F5VL ASUS notebook mainboards.

Hello, where you got this package?

And how do you think - if my card is X2300 id:7188 can i change some info in your kexts to get my card worked?

What kexts do i need to change and where?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I got the X2300 HD working at native resolution with QE/CI on a Gateway C-142XL on 10.6.5 with device ID 0x7211 with the following steps:

- Replaced 0x72101002 with 0x72111002 in ATIRadeonX1000.kext's Info.plist.

- Used 0xED to find and replace all instances of 1072 with 1172 in the Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 binary(?). (And yeah, the fact that the first two and last two digits are flipped confused me at first.) It replaced four occurrences.

This fixed QE/CI, but the resolution was wrong, and I couldn't set it. Before this, I was just using RadeonHD.kext which got the correct resolution, but no QE/CI. I decided to try combining that with the newly modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext, and lo and behold, QE/CI at native resolution. The resolution is switchable via the prefpane, too.

I've attached the modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext and the RadeonHD.kext that I use. The RadeonHD.kext ought to work for any device id, if you modify your own ATIRadeonX1000.kext properly.

ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

RadeonHD.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who made a device id 7188 works under Snow Leopard with QE/CI support? I tried all the info.plist editing using the 7188 id and hexedit the binary files but to no avail.

It looks like the Radeon kext does not support 7188 device id.

Anyway, I'm still hoping that somebody have something working with QE/CI

rgds

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

My Lion 2 installation (iAtKos L2) boots out of the box in 64 bit with 1024*768 so I tried the kexts posted here (my laptop is a Gateway E-295C Tablet PC with the same 0x7211 card)...

It boots, but just goes into a loop just before showing the desktop (the mouse works during this time). Have you tested these kexts with Lion?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This is my first time installing kexts, this was my method:

• Boot from iAtKoS L2 DVD
  • Access Terminal
  • cd /System/Library/Extensions
  • mv ATIRadeonX1000.kext ATIRadeonX1000.old
  • mv RadeonHD.kext RadeonHD.old
  • cp -R <download path> ATIRadeonX1000.kext
  • cp -R <download path> RadeonHD.kext
  • chmod -R 755 ATIRadeonX1000.kext
  • chown -R 0:0 ATIRadeonX1000.kext
  • chmod -R 755 RadeonHD.kext
  • chown -R 0:0 RadeonHD.kext
  • Restart, boot with -v only

Was this the correct procedure?

I got the X2300 HD working at native resolution with QE/CI on a Gateway C-142XL on 10.6.5 with device ID 0x7211 with the following steps:

- Replaced 0x72101002 with 0x72111002 in ATIRadeonX1000.kext's Info.plist.

- Used 0xED to find and replace all instances of 1072 with 1172 in the Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 binary(?). (And yeah, the fact that the first two and last two digits are flipped confused me at first.) It replaced four occurrences.

This fixed QE/CI, but the resolution was wrong, and I couldn't set it. Before this, I was just using RadeonHD.kext which got the correct resolution, but no QE/CI. I decided to try combining that with the newly modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext, and lo and behold, QE/CI at native resolution. The resolution is switchable via the prefpane, too.

I've attached the modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext and the RadeonHD.kext that I use. The RadeonHD.kext ought to work for any device id, if you modify your own ATIRadeonX1000.kext properly.

• 2 months later...

Hi I ve been trying for 2 days to get it to work on hp6910p but no luck

Resolution is fine 1440 x900 but no ci qe

At first I started with 10.6.8 but no luck

Today i did a fresh install then updated to 10.6.6 but the same no ci qe

Before that I tried with lion but only 1078 res but not working as good as in snow

As anyone manged it on 7188????

• 1 month later...

i have ati mobility x1350,and got it to work with 10.6.8..steps are : copy ALL ati 1000 kext( and your patched AtiRadeonX1000),radeonHD and

IONDRVSupport kext from 10.6.7,remove radeonHD from S/L/E and fix permisions n cache,restart,update to 10.6.8,update everything in 10.6.8 software update,d

elete ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext from S/L/E,than using kext wizard add all those ati 1000 kexts and

IONDRVSupport kext in S/L/E,restart and than add radeonHD..works perfect for my x1350(1002x7196 id) full resolution support and qe/ci...The KP that you had without whis method is becouse 10.6.8 IONDRVSupport dosn't work well with radeonHD...

try this it might work for you all. ps same method on lion gives only full resolution support and full info of GPU

• 2 months later...

OK, I have been working on getting my HP6910p x2300m (1002:7188) working properly but have hit an impasse. I started with the advice from above but have found that things are not quite so restrictive. I am able to use ALL of the latest 10.6.8 ATI kexts except for IONDRVSupport which will indeed cause a KP when loaded along with RadeonHD.kext. So I used the 10.6.7 version for this one kext only. I bin modded the 10.6.8 version of ATIRadeonX1000.kext, replacing the 2 instances of 81FA8771 with 81FA8871 and changed the Info.plist entry accordingly. Finally, I added my EDID value to RadeonHD.kext and installed that.

What I get is partial hardware acceleration as evidenced by the fact that Toast Titanium launches fine. But DVD Player fails and if I select the Desktop & Screen Saver Pref Pane, System Preferences hangs and requires a Force Quit. I also have a messed up 1/2" square cursor which looks like an almost minimized window. Plus, windows do not redraw properly when moved or scrolled. Clicking on the desktop will mostly correct them and resizing will completely refresh them.

kextstat shows that ATIXRadeonX1000.kext, ATI1300Controller.kext and ATISupport.kext are all loaded.

Resolution management from System Preferences works perfectly all the way up to my LCD's native maximum.

Research seems to indicate that the x2300 is quite different from the x1350 and based more on the x1450 / M64 GPU.

I've tried the full set of 10.6.7 ATI kexts and even earlier bin-modded versions of ATIRadeonX1000.kext with the exact same result.

I have tried EVOEnabler.kext which has worked for me on 10.6.8 desktops running the x1300. However, specifying Caretta or Sphyrna Framebuffers produce a black screen and Wormy loses the resolution management.

So, that's where I'm at. Has anybody gotten any further or have any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance and A-L-O-H-A !

• 1 month later...

I figure out to get acceleration on Lion for my 6910p using the X2300 (10027188)

after trying all sort of mod, I get somethingworking by:

- mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATI* ~/Backup

-edit Info.plist from ATI1300Controller.kext and change the pci1002,7187 by pci1002,7188

-edit Info.plist from ATIRadeonX1000.kext and change the 7187 occurence by 7188

-replace 2 occurence of 87710000 in the MacOSX related file (there are 4 ! be carefull only 2 are valid. to identify the right adress, you should search some other device ID like DE710000 then you realize that the adresse range is close to the previous one)

-mv these 2 files back in the S/L/E

-also copy the ATISupport.kext in S/L/E

-rm -rf Extensions.mkext in S/L/E

-kextcache -system-caches

-repair permission

reboot

reboot again, in case of :)

works to some extend but not the DVD. Then need to copy the GA and GLD kext and VAplugin. but this brings some issue with finder... WIP

• 1 month later...

Aloha again all !

I wanted to share something interesting that I have now learned about one version of this perplexing video chip. First, understand that my findings only necessarily apply to the HP version of the X2300m. In particular the 1002:7188 for vendor 0x103c = HP. OK ?

I know that there are at least 2 other manufacturers using the X2300m, Asus and Sony. Whether this applies to those as well, we cannot know unless others test and report back.

Anyway, here goes …

As it happens, I have had the opportunity to attempt getting QE/CI working on 2 separate HP 6910p notebooks. One, never quite worked no matter how hard I tried. You can read about my experience with that one (test#1) in post #243. Then, I tried again with the EXACT same procedure on a second HP6910p notebook and voila, it worked (nearly) perfectly !

What was the difference ?

2 things -> the LCD screen AND the video chip. Yep, there are different versions of these installed on the HP6910p. Now, the LCD did not surprise me. Of course, we all know that there at least 2 versions for these notebooks. A standard res, 1280x800 version and a high res, 1440x900 version. But it turns out that there are also at least 2 versions of the 1002:7188 video chip as well !

Here is some detailed info from EDID Manager for the HP6910p from the failed test#1 …

The LCD is model AUO4344, a standard res, 1280x800 model and here are the video chip specs …

Name : ATI Mobility Radeon X2300

Adapter Compatibility: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Processor : ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7188)

Video RAM : 128.00 MB (134,217,728 Bytes)

-----

Now for the successful QE/CI installation test#2 …

LCD = AUO1147, a high res, 1440x900 model and video chip specs …

Name : ATI Mobility Radeon X2300

Adapter Compatibility: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Processor : ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7188)

Video RAM : 64.00 MB (67,108,864 Bytes)

=====

So even though the HP6910p from test#2 has a high res display, it sports an ATI X2300m with only 64MB of video memory and this combo works fine. By fine, I mean full hardware acceleration and resolution management but DVD Player fails.

This is all under Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I am unable to make this work at all under any version of Lion.

Methodology is fairly simple and covered well enough by other posters on several sites, including this one.

#1 bin mod ATIRadeonX1000.kext, changing 2 instances of the device ID -

#2 revert IONDRVSupport.kext to the 10.6.7 version (v2.2) -

#3 add the 128 byte EDID string (32x4 format) in 2 places in RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist and install RadeonHD.kext into /S/L/E -

That's pretty much it. If that doesn't do it, then it may well be your version of the video chip.

I won't know for sure until I do more testing. I do have more HP6910p junk lying around and will try process of elimination techniques if/when I have more time.

A few final notes:

Adding the device ID to Info.plist in ATIRadeonController1300.kext will get it to load but doesn't seem to have any effect one way or the other. ATISupport.kext also loads OK but if I remove it, nothing is lost. So neither of these kexts conflict nor add any functionality in my tests.

All hardware acceleration seems to be provided exclusively by ATIRadeonX1000.kext.

RadeonHD.kext seems to only provide resolution management. I get the transparent menu bar and Toast launching fine w/o RadeonHD.kext installed using all stock Apple kexts other than the bin-modded ATIRadeonX1000.kext, of course. IONDRVSupport.kext only needs to be rolled back when RadeonHD.kext is installed or we get either a KP or a black display. It should also be noted that DVD Player will run until RadeonHD.kext is introduced into the mix. So, apparently, to Apple, their default frame buffer is preferable to a hacked one ! But resolution management is more important to me as there are 3rd party alternatives to DVD Player for movies that will still work just fine w/RadeonHD.kext.

Also, SwitchResX (v4.3.1) is useless and returns the exact same/incorrect EDID for all displays under SnowLeo. This junk every time …

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 00001707 00000000 0A0A0101 0C1E17BE E82DC9A0 57479827 12484C00 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010000 00FE0053 52584661 6B654544 49440A20 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101005A

So, I generate my EDID strings under Windows 7 with EDID Manager. I verified it with softMCCS.

Anyway, long post, I know, but hopefully worth it to someone for the detailed info.

I realize that not that many folks probably care so much about Snow Leo anymore but if anybody can benefit from this then that's great ;) I went through the trouble so I figured that I'd share before I forgot it all.

I wouldn't mind seeing posts of the LCD/video chip info for both working and non-working setups. Please state whether working or not. These can be for ANY notebooks too, not just HPs. Maybe we'll see a pattern develop & learn something interesting and, who knows, it may even apply to other, more modern, integrated video chips.

Have a great weekend !

OK, following up with some additional results as I promised.

First, I swapped the standard res 1280x800 (AUO4344) LCD from the problematic 6910p w/128MB ATI X2300m video chip and that also works just fine on my 6910p w/64MB ATI X2300m. So, I can confirm that it's not a display/EDID issue and ONLY a video chip issue.

I should also mention that I booted up the 6910p with AUO4344 LCD while RadeonHD.kext still had EDID strings from the previous high res AUO1147 LCD and everything still worked anyway. Therefore, I simply removed the EDID strings from RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist and it makes no difference whatsoever.

-----

Now, I had no luck getting ATIRadeonX1000.kext to load under Lion but figured that I'd give it another go after reading fabrice38's post above.

So I reinstalled Lion on this 6910p and did it all again and again my modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext did not load. The ATI1300Controller and ATISupport kexts both loaded OK but not the one important for hardware acceleration. I rebuilt the cache, fixed permissions, etc., etc. but still no good. Finally, I just punted and moved ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle out of /S/L/E, rebooted and then moved them back in and rebooted again.

Now the system greeted me with a black display with just a mouse pointer but I know that's usually the fault of IONDRVSupport.kext. So, I booted single user and rolled that back to the 2.2 version. Interesting that this didn't happen right away.

NOW, I'm greeted with a translucent menu bar, Toast launches, Cosmos & Beach screensavers work, ATIRadeonX1000.kext is loaded and we have QE ! However, no resolution management and we're stuck @ 1024x768 because even though ATI1300Controller loads, there is only the default framebuffer loading. DVD Player does run though.

Just for fun, I removed ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle from /S/L/E and rebooted and ATIRadeonX1000.kext did not load.

I put these 3 guys back, rebooted and, sure enough, ATIRadeonX1000.kext loaded and we have QE again.

So, loading ATIRadeonX1000.kext somehow depends on ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle under Lion ?

I decided to force a few framebuffers with DSDT injection but that did not work out well.

Caretta gets me an external VGA display but a black LCD. What is interesting is that the resolution choices correspond to my LCD and NOT the external display so my LCD is being seen for resolution settings but then is not found for signal routing purposes. Sleep/Wake work properly using the button only.

Sphyrna gets me an internal LCD display only. But this is only true if I boot with an external display connected to the VGA port and then the resolution choices correspond to the external display and NOT the LCD ! So, it's just the opposite of Caretta, my LCD is not seen for resolution settings but then IS found for signal routing purposes. The display will not come back from sleep whether an external display is connected or not.

Wormy just doesn't work at all which makes sense since the chip is so different but I tried it anyway.

-----

Ultimately, the only choice of framebuffer is RadeonHD.kext and EDID strings are unnecessary.

I updated to 10.7.5 and everything works exactly the same way provided that IONDRVSupport.kext is rolled back again.

-----

So, to sum it up, for video I am able to use all stock Apple Lion 10.7.5 kexts except for …

1. IONDRVSupport.kext use -> v2.2

2. ATIRadeonX1000.kext modified as described by fabrice38 (8771->8871 in 2 places where DE710000 appears earlier within a HexEdit line or 2, remember to modify Info.plist 7187->7188 as well)

3. ATI1300Controller.kext (modified Info.plist to include the 7188 id)

4. RadeonHD.kext

I don't think that ATI1300Controller and ATISupport matter one way or the other. ATI1300Controller is only trying (unsuccessfully) to load the Caretta framebuffer which would not work anyway.

Still, I keep them both loading just because they don't seem to hurt anything.

-----

I'll finish by saying that everything works as it should, full QE/CI and resolution management, sleep/wake, no artefacts, etc. The system will even bring up an external display in mirror mode so long as it is connected when booting. It continues to work after sleep/wake as well.

No brightness slider and DVD Player crashes. Plus, clamshell/lid sleep does not work even with the PNLF mod.

Sleep can only be initiated from the main menu or the PWRB->menu. Wake only works by pressing the PWRB.

So, the only thing that I really feel must still be solved is lid sleep. Although it might be useful to have the option of being able to close the laptop and place a monitor on it to use as a super slim desktop ;)

So there it is. I just wanted to dump this info before I forget it all which won't take long, that's for sure.

A-L-O-H-A

bisk

• 1 month later...

It doesn't really matter because you will not get hardware acceleration with the ATI1000 series chipsets in 64 bit, they are 32 bit only.

I think that this horse has been beaten to death already.

Of course, in this, I am assuming that you don't care about resolution management so much that you are willing to give up QE/CI just to get into 64 bit mode @ 1280x800 vs. 1024x768.