4GB possible on gigabyte ds3l?

jarobata

28 posts in this topic

I get kernel panic when my computer tries to use all my memory. I've read this is a common problem, is there no possible fix to allow all 4GB? Also could someone link me up to explicit instructions on the maxmem fix? I can never find anything on this forum.

I am not sure as I don't have DS3L. But some P35 ICH9 boards allow you to switch to AHCI mode, apparently it solves 4GB problem for some people. Also someone reported that it might be because of jMicron kext. If you don't use jMicron, you can delete it.

I am not sure as I don't have DS3L. But some P35 ICH9 boards allow you to switch to AHCI mode, apparently it solves 4GB problem for some people. Also someone reported that it might be because of jMicron kext. If you don't use jMicron, you can delete it.

To be more specific an IDE device connected powered on using the jmicron controller will do it or that was so with my spare machine using the SATA jmicron works great never tried the IDE on my DS3L.

To be more specific an IDE device connected powered on using the jmicron controller will do it or that was so with my spare machine using the SATA jmicron works great never tried the IDE on my DS3L.

Enabling AHCI mode fixed the problem but now I can't boot into XP. is there any fix for this?

Enabling AHCI mode fixed the problem but it says it's for vista only, can I not boot into xp with ACHI enabled?

To use XP in AHCI mode you need to have installed with using the F6 option to load third party driver from floppy disk or you can try here to do it afterwards.

To use XP in AHCI mode you need to have installed with using the F6 option to load third party driver from floppy disk or you can try here to do it afterwards.

I followed that guide and it wouldn't boot after. Does it matter that I downloaded the most recent driver? Also it calls for copying iastor.sys and I just found a file name iastor that was listed as a system file. I assume that was the correct file. Anyone have any input here? I followed link and downloaded the most recent file, copied iastor, updated the registry with the given file, and rebooted. Changed to AHCI and it wouldn't boot. Was I supposed to do something else? Was I supposed to use a different intel file or change that registry patch? Assuming I can't make it work this way, where can I find the driver to install if I have to reinstall XP? I'm pretty sure I need a driver to F6 install because it didn't even see any hard drives when I didn't do anything special. Does anyone know if when I do the reinstall if it'll screw up the darwin bootloader? I've always installed XP first and then OSX.

I could send you the working files.try too boot with the "last known working configuration"

Will that nullify the changes I made to the registry? I'll def try your files assuming they're not viruses lol.

Edit: I can no longer reboot or shutdown successfully. Is this an effect of AHCI?

yes I´ll send you the AHCI trojan :wub:

no,if ahci doesn´t work you can´t boot and it stops with a blue screen.

it looks like you messed up something else..................

Ok i'm in windows in last known config. How do you want to send me those files?

Here is how to limit ram:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>debug=0x100 maxmem=2048</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>2f0100000100000001000000230100000700000002010c00d041030a0100000$

</dict>

</plist>

btw, the debug thing gives you debug information on kernel panics. its useful.

don't forget to save when you are done!

Here is how to limit ram:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>debug=0x100 maxmem=2048</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>2f0100000100000001000000230100000700000002010c00d041030a0100000$

</dict>

</plist>

btw, the debug thing gives you debug information on kernel panics. its useful.

don't forget to save when you are done!

I don't want to limit ram since I can get away with using it all with AHCI, i want to get windows to work with AHCI.

I don't want to limit ram since I can get away with using it all with AHCI, i want to get windows to work with AHCI.

so for you it doesn't crash when using 4GB of RAM when using AHCI mode?

this is very interesting, because for me it does. Maybe it is my IDE hard drive.

so for you it doesn't crash when using 4GB of RAM when using AHCI mode?

this is very interesting, because for me it does. Maybe it is my IDE hard drive.

If I have AHCI mode I can run OSX but not windows. I am running all SATA drives. I just need to get windows working with it and I'll be all set. I'd straight up do a fresh install but I don't know where to get the proper AHCI driver for F6 installation

• 3 months later...

I am going to re-install my XP and want it to work with AHCI. However, I don't have a floppy drive. Is there a way I can install the AHCI drivers from a USB or a burned CD at this part in the installation menu, or does it have to be floppy?

I installed Leopard 10.5.2 on this mother (DS3L) with 2 SATA 2 HDs and 1 SATA DVD drive, if i enable ACHI in bios only 2 SATA ports work.

I dont like to use maxmem, i have 4 GB of ram and i like to use 4 gigas.

If i dont use any IDE devices can i disable IDE in bios and delete JMicron.kext to solve the kernel panics?

• 2 weeks later...