10.5.2 for the AMD impatient

macgirl

108 posts in this topic

Thans Mac Girl.

The update works great....

I personnaly use the command

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

then the normal installer.

Before rebotting i recopy the kext and the kernel with a simple cp -r ...

Reboot -s then apllied the replacer and the patch cpuid.txt.

Reboot two times (first was automatic).

ps : I did nothing about dsmos.kext .....

max, are you experiencing the really long delay before your desktop shows up? also, it's interesting that you didn't do anything about your dsmos.kext. were you using zephyroth's release of 10.5.1 before you installed 10.5.2, or something else? i may try my update one more time from scratch and see if not adding in the dsmos.kext line helps any...though i don't see why it would...

max, are you experiencing the really long delay before your desktop shows up? also, it's interesting that you didn't do anything about your dsmos.kext. were you using zephyroth's release of 10.5.1 before you installed 10.5.2, or something else? i may try my update one more time from scratch and see if not adding in the dsmos.kext line helps any...though i don't see why it would...

No for the delay but for the moment i didn t update graphics yet so i will see.....

I personnaly use this for 10.5.1 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8&hl=10.5.1

how can i setup efi on amd and will my windows boot with efi also?

XP or Vista?

dual boot Leo (AMD) / Vista (GUID + Efi V8 the same HDD)

-You need.

-A pendrive labeled "EFI"

-Install DVD (leoapard Zephyroth)

-Install DVD (Vista 32/64)

- Efi pack ( Extract the efi pack to the root of your pendrive)

1. Boot into Leopard install dvd and open disk utility, click your HD you are makeing a Guid then click the partition tab click the drop down menu and select the number of partitions that you need, in my case i have used two, the first one for VISTA( Fat32), the second one for LEOPARD (Mac Os Extended (journaled)) then click options and select GUID, aply and reboot when it´s finished.

2. Boot into Vista install dvd and when you see the screen of disk selection, click the patición in fat32 and format in NTFS, then install Vista.

3. When vista finishes, boot into leopard DVD and install over the partition that you have created in the step 1. When Leopard finishes, reboot again into leo dvd plug the pendrive labeled "EFI" and open a terminal and type this:

diskutil list

You´ll see something like this

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME				  SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme							 *226. Gi   disk0
  1:						EFI							  200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:	   Microsoft Basic Data VISTA					   * 35.05 Gi  disk0s2
  2:				  Apple_HFS LEO						  186.0 Gi   disk0s3

/dev/disk1
#:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 Apple_partition_scheme								  *4.4 Gi	 disk1
  1:		Apple_partition_map									 31.5 Ki	disk1s1
  3:				  Apple_HFS Leopard-AMD-10.5.1	  4.4 Gi	 disk1s3
/dev/disk2
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme								 *250.0 Mi   disk2
  1:				  Apple_HFS EFI						   249.9 Mi   disk2s1

cd /volumes/efi/pc_efi_v80

umount -f /dev/disk0s3

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s3 ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3 bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

reboot and that´s all, you don´t need touch the Vista bootloader you´ll see Darwin with those options

- 1. hd (0,1)

- 2. hd (0,2) Foreign BOOT (VISTA)

- 3. hd (0,3) LEOPARD

Before I run the update, I just need a little confirmation about Pacifist since I have never used it before.

Do I just load the .dmg with Pacifist and click install. Then as the install goes forward will it prompt to me to allow / deny processes that try to start or is there something I need to do to configure Pacifist before I click install from there?

Regards in advance,

-Evomac-

You don't load the DMG onto Pacifist, open the DMG and drag the Install Package onto Pacifist

macgirl, 9.2.0 kernel is out on TPB, maybe you could update your first post :-)

You will need EFI v8, but then it works flawlessly, even the 2-3 minutes of monitor standby (before loading the desktop) is gone :)

thank u all for the big tutorial but i've XP :( . The 2nd thing is, that i only have the ToH not Zer... DVD. So now i installed mac os 10 times without any success of getting 10.5.2. Maybe i should wait for a installer package like this one for 10.5.1 ^^.

Edit: during the 10.5.2 update it shows me a blank blue screen with the spinning ball and nothing happens. i

don't know whats wrong ;) do you have a solution for that event?

PS: how long do you need to get into the setup of the Leopard DVD? On my pc it takes ages :(

woohoo! the new kernel does indeed fix that dreaded long boot up issue. now i can relax ;)

EDIT: does anyone know if it's possible to create a modified AMD 10.5.2 updater that would include these patched files and the new kernel so we don't have to worry about taking all of these steps to get it to work in the future?

macgirl, 9.2.0 kernel is out on TPB, maybe you could update your first post :-)

You will need EFI v8, but then it works flawlessly, even the 2-3 minutes of monitor standby (before loading the desktop) is gone ;)

Will add it when I finnished replying you lol

I just install the 9.2.0 kernel last night late, but didn't test it much.

macgirl (or anyone else who might know) - i just installed the graphics update, ran the cpuid-graphics.txt (as well as the first cpuid.txt just to be safe), but I'm getting a kernel panic on NVDAResman.kext and GeForce.kext. Do you know why? I installed NVinject after everything too, but no difference.

The Graphics update doesn t work for me even with cpuid.txt.

Hangs during boot...

I replace all the kext of the update withe my 10.5.1 and now it's ok.

I use EFI 8.0 - 10.5.2 - kernel 9.2.0 of kaliway + System.kext adn dsmos.kext also of Kaliway but the Grapichs update doesn t want to work.

It's no too Bad .............

If you are getting NDAResman kernel panics is becaus you have a Nforce motherboard, and that's a known issue.

Because you install with the Graphics Update you need to re-edit the Info.plist of Geforce.kext NVDANVx0Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext with your DeviceID only without the triling part (&0xfff0ffff).

Which NVDANVx0Hal depends on your card. 40 is for 5x00, 6x00 and 7x00 series and 50 for 8x00 series

ok, thanks for the reply macgirl. i got my graphics working now! i actually had the old 10.5.2 graphics kexts from the first beta release. they worked for me, but i was getting very low OpenGL performance with them. so, here's what i did:

i opened each kext file's Info.plist from the beta release and compared them to the ones in the new update. i found that all the DeviceIDs were identical in Info.plist except for GeForce.kext. all i had to do was copy/paste the DeviceIDs from the old one into the new one, repaired permissions, rebooted, and it works! i didn't have to mess with NVDAResman or any of the NVDANVx0Hal files. On a side note: I noticed that all of the DeviceIDs in all of these files were not my DeviceID, but rather some kind of generic IDs. Don't know why, but they work for me anyway.

i got a small performance boost in my OpenGL scores on xBench, but nothing too drastic (about 20 points, and only about 5 points to my overall score). it works great, regardless. thanks again for your help. looks like i can finally sit back and enjoy 10.5.2 now instead of messing with it all day! :unsure:

btw, i just noticed that my system profiler only reports 1 core on my CPU. i am using the same AppleSMBIOS and AppleACPIPlatform as I was using in 10.5.1. Doesn't matter if I boot with -legacy or not. I think this may have happened when I did the 9.2.0 kernel update, although I can't confirm this...could have also happened when I did the 10.5.2 update...anyone else noticing this issue?

EDIT: ...but there are 2 graphs in Activity Monitor...so I guess that means it's just cosmetic...