Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I wish that worked for me. I have a D830 and I can't get *any* install dvd to get past the IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23 error...
People have used my boot CDs to install retail Leopard and Snow Leopard to D830's with Nvidia. Far as I know, the only real issue is the typical halt/restart problem with these machines with accelerated graphics enabled.

My install CDs do not work with D830's with Intel graphics.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I think by now I have tried everything possible and impossible to get my 3100 working with internal LCD. Nothing helps. If I connect external monitor it works great, with QE, hi res, etc. The system believes that internal LCD is active as well, but it just stays black. If I force displays to sleep - the backlight on internal LCD switches off, when I move the mouse - it comes on again, but there is no picture there. Again, at the same time external monitor works perfectly (obviously initially I had to "fish" for settings window to bring it from non-working LCD to external monitor, then change the external one to be primary, etc.).

I really tried all the tricks I could find. If I delete "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" I get internal LCD working, but just in VESA mode.

I have a feeling that the problem is with the resolution/refresh rate for the internal LCD, I'm trying to use SwitchResX to create custom resolution, but there are myriads of settings and without knowing what would work it's impossible to do anything.

Playing with different versions of "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" doesn't help. DSDT fixes don't work either.

Here is what I'm using:

Dell Latitude D830

x3100 Intel graphics

SnowLeo 10.6.2

Chameleon Version 2.0.0 RC4

I have pretty much everything working great, just cannot get internal LCD to show anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi there,

I think by now I have tried everything possible and impossible to get my 3100 working with internal LCD. Nothing helps. If I connect external monitor it works great, with QE, hi res, etc. The system believes that internal LCD is active as well, but it just stays black. If I force displays to sleep - the backlight on internal LCD switches off, when I move the mouse - it comes on again, but there is no picture there. Again, at the same time external monitor works perfectly (obviously initially I had to "fish" for settings window to bring it from non-working LCD to external monitor, then change the external one to be primary, etc.).

I really tried all the tricks I could find. If I delete "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" I get internal LCD working, but just in VESA mode.

I have a feeling that the problem is with the resolution/refresh rate for the internal LCD, I'm trying to use SwitchResX to create custom resolution, but there are myriads of settings and without knowing what would work it's impossible to do anything.

Playing with different versions of "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" doesn't help. DSDT fixes don't work either.

Here is what I'm using:

Dell Latitude D830

x3100 Intel graphics

SnowLeo 10.6.2

Chameleon Version 2.0.0 RC4

I have pretty much everything working great, just cannot get internal LCD to show anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

All right, I got it finally working!!! The missing fix was "Dual link fix". Here is the quote from CharredPC:

While working this evening with flames, we had a DUH! moment. After needing to mod my lcd cable to accommodate a higher resolution screen, I of all people should have known why his fix works. Here's the simple truth of it.

If you have an X3100 videocard (or perhaps others) in your laptop, and have an LCD that displays higher resolutions than 1280x800, you'll likely need the Dual link fix. All you need is this:

CODE

Name (_ADR, 0x00020000) // <--find in DSDT and add the following after: //

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package ()

{

"AAPL01,DualLink",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

The reason why this works is easy. Higher-resolution LCD's require two data lines to handle the increased information. With my original 1280x800 LCD, OSX worked perfectly. Once I upgraded it to a 1440x900, OSX showed a black screen. Just like in a DVI connector, to get better resolutions you need... you got it- Dual Link capability. Windows and some older OSX drivers + Natit automatically enable Dual link, but the latest Leopard stock kexts do not. Without this flag telling OSX to use Dual Link, your backlight comes on, but the video data isn't getting through. Once this fix is added, OSX knows to send a dual stream of data, and the image comes through.

As flames has said before, this doesn't fix everything for everyone. It's a specific case for those of us with higher-resolution X3100 laptops. For people with EDID issues as well (like myself), it's half the solution. Display Overrides seem to be a working fix in the meantime. If you have a black screen, try this fix, and the results are strange, scrambled, or stretched, you likely have an EDID issue as well. This means your screen has been found, dual link is enabled, but OSX has no idea what kind of display it is so talks to it with incorrect default values. In this case, the following might help-

Boot to Windows and retrieve your EDID using this. I was able to get mine from within OSX because after multiple reboots, it can occasionally read the EDID and displays fine. You may want to try that if you don't have Windows installed. Now boot into OSX and (using screen sharing, if the screen is unusable) open SwitchResX. Find the fake display and vendor id's it is using (mine is using /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 ). Copy that file to your desktop, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID. If that file isn't there, or you don't have all the data, you can try simply using / editing mine, which I have attached below. Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the default Override, and reboot. If all goes well, when OSX can't read your EDID, it will use the default Display Override again and this time get the proper data from there. If you have a better way to do this, please share.

I'm still researching a way to directly inject EDID data into the DSDT, and will update here when I have news. I believe I'm fairly close, thanks to flames' help. Until then, I'll try and keep my wild speculations and incoherent uneducated ramblings to a minimum

• 1 month later...
I didn't set my bios to one core, but it could help you. It may be the nvidia card though, because all the d630 and d830 users with successful installations of os x that I have seen have had the GMAX3100. What you could do though is install PC-EFI on your current ToH install, upgrade your system to 10.5.1 through Apple, and then copy the kexts from the kalyway disc to your extensions folder. Then, if you install the sleep kernel, it should be very close to a real kalyway install. If you install chain0 beforehand, you should easily be able to pull this off. If you decide to do this, and want more detailed instructions, tell me here, and I will write some instructions.

Also, so I can add some information to the guide, were you running your system with fully accelerated graphics? If so, can you tell me what you did to get your graphics fully accelerated? I have seen here that many users have had success in fully accelerating their Nvidia Quadro cards using the installer I talked about in the guide, but I have not tested this myself, because I don't have an Nvidia quadro card.

GMAX3100_Files totally messed up my resolution. I was at 1680x1050. Now the only choice I have is 1024x768. Wish I knew how to uninstall the damn thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

I have Dell D830

After lot of tries I got iAtkos -v7 installed on the system and then updated to 10.5.8 through system update (278MB).

after I did the upgrade it asked for reboot. but soon after reboot I get kernel panic

and to worsen up even the iatkos -v7 DVD is not booting....giving me kernel panic tried the below boot option

-v platform=X86PC

mach_970 -v -x -f

-v platform=X86PC cpus=1

-v platform=X86PC cpus=2

mach_970 -v -x -f cpus=1

mach_970 -v -x -f cpus=2

-v platform=X86PC mach_970 -x -f (along with the cpus option)

but nothing seems to work now to boot iatkos.

please help

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I am trying to install iAtkos L2 from USB on my D630 but installation keeps freezing. When I just boot it it stops on the white apple screen (the loading spinner freezes) when I boot it in verboose it loads and freezes after a minute or two. It doesn`t boot in verboose every time ...

I am thinking it could be heating too much or something like this. Anyone can share some experience/tips?