MacVidia progress report, straight from the horse's mouth

ajv

49 posts in this topic

Hi all. The previous MacVidia project thread was closed due to people getting pissed about there not being any news. Well, I've been in sporadic e-mail contact with np_. At the time of the infamous "Great news soon" anouncement, the driver was working on build 8f1099 for dvi output only. It would load but was not working for 8f1111g. At this point he started working on analog output. np_ asked me for the links and patches to get 8f1111g installed last week. He has it installed and is currently getting the dvi driver working for that build. From maxxuss' page I gather there were some fairly significant kernel organization changes between 8f1099 and 8f1111g. So that's it, it should be working for 8f1111g at least for dvi soon, but only if we're all very nice and patient with np_. I don't think he plans on releasing it though until it's working for analog also. You're all going to get it for free so no bitching! ;)

Hi guys,

i agree with the statement : be patience !! they are working for free and also for us !!

Only one question: when you talk about driver working only for dvi, what does it mean ?

Does it work for a laptop display or only for connection with external monitor ?

thanks,

bye bye.

Congratulations for this thread... make more sense.. keep us in touch about Macvidia progress ;)

bellomo: DVI is Digital Visual Interface. Connection standard developed by Intel for connecting computers to digital monitors such as flat panels and DLP projectors.

But almost users have the Analog connection, for normal monitors and some LCDs to... looks like the COM port... ;)

I dont think that is a stupid question ;) ... I dont know to ... but I think is like analog, but that can be different Notebook by Notebook ...and what kind of display you have... but try on Google, you can find a lot of information about that

A couple points:

1. Since LCD monitors are sold with analog and/or DVI inputs, it stands to reason that the LCD display in a laptop could be connected internally using an analog or DVI connection. It depends on how the manufacturer chose to implement it on your particular model.

2. Whether or not your monitor has a DVI input, some video cards have both DVI and analog outputs. I have three not-too-fancy video cards and all three of them have both DVI and analog outputs (Radeon 7000, Radeon 9200, and GeForce 2 Ultra). If you have a DVI output on your video card and Macvidia happens to release a DVI-only version that works for your card, you might only have to buy a DVI-to-analog adapter or DVI-to-analog cable. (I'm not 100% sure that would work, but it would be worth a try. My monitor has only analog inputs but I do use the DVI output of my cards and either an adapter or an adapter cable to connect them.)

-kat

awesome news... I had to buy an $8 ethernet card for my hackintosh (nforce4 doesn't work of course), so I'll gladly buy a dvi-vga adapter if np_ gets the driver working on 8f1111g.

EDIT: ..... LOL i just realized that I'm already using a dvi-vga adapter. I'm using an EN7800GTX, which only has 2 DVI outputs, so it came with an adapter. I wonder how many people are actually using DVI like I am, and just forgot that they put that little adapter on the end of their monitor cable when they plugged it in.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a jump on moving to 10.4.4 - - what impact would this have on the potential macvidia release- where they say to "upgrade to 10.4.3?"

Are people with GeForce cards holding back on the upgrade to 10.4.4?? Or, will it be relatively easy to compile the driver (hoping any day now!) for 10.4.4??

any thoughts?

There seems to be a jump on moving to 10.4.4 - - what impact would this have on the potential macvidia release- where they say to "upgrade to 10.4.3?"

Are people with GeForce cards holding back on the upgrade to 10.4.4?? Or, will it be relatively easy to compile the driver (hoping any day now!) for 10.4.4??

any thoughts?

hahha, F that.

if macvidia wants to be all hushhush about their progress (if any) then all their work is gonna be ignored, and people are going to move on, regardless.

how can we stay held back by a video card driver if they don't tell us how close they are to completing it? im not gonna wait, infact, 10.4.3 is already gone.

they too, are going to have to upgrade sooner or later to 10.4.4.

and i do respect that they're doing this and no one else is. but i dont see it as a reason to sit on a 10.4.3 machine for them when we dont even hear whats going on.

hahha, F that.

if macvidia wants to be all hushhush about their progress (if any) then all their work is gonna be ignored, and people are going to move on, regardless.

how can we stay held back by a video card driver if they don't tell us how close they are to completing it? im not gonna wait, infact, 10.4.3 is already gone.

they too, are going to have to upgrade sooner or later to 10.4.4.

and i do respect that they're doing this and no one else is. but i dont see it as a reason to sit on a 10.4.3 machine for them when we dont even hear whats going on.

I guess they really meant downgrade to 10.4.3

I think that there are only two paths to get an nVidia driver:

1. Wait for apple to release Macs with nVidia cards and pray that they will not remove the support for other older cards.

2. Try to get the sources from the BeOS driver (perhaps contacting the author directly) and setup an alternative group to write a driver from scratch. As far as I know it should be possible to write such a driver if the author of the BeOS nVidia driver wants to release the tech info he managed to find. The BeOS driver has full 2D acceleration and even some rudimentary 3D too.

Fernando Birra

rumor has it that the macvidia project is down to one fellow now. He's very good at what he does (the maxxuss of nvidia), but it's a VERY slow, trial and error process.

I haven't been able to find anyone who'se seen him in the last few weeks either.

I'm sure np_ will release what he's done eventually.

Yeah!

But if the team is reduced this much, why not taking the community in charge!

There are a lot of people who can and want to help!

Why being so silent?!?!

yah, i agree, this is almost as bad as the vista/macbook grudge match between all the people trying to get vista to boot for the 12k prize. but in this contest, there's no prize and one contestant.