[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

There are several reports about the samee issue, even I had no sound this morning, I erased the extensions cache rebooted and get sound again.

We are waiting for Taruga's answers.

Thanks, macgirl. Nice to know you and others are here to help. Unfortunately, I deleted my extensions cache (system/library/extensions.mkext and system/library/extensions/caches/com.apple.kext.info) and rebooted and still am in the same boat. No sound. I think the difference is that you actually had sound coming out of our speakers at one point - I have not. My sound still only works through the headphones.

Do I actually need to do anything with the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16? Or is simply installing the two files that you attached to the first post in this thread good enough?

P.S. Thanks Superhai for the sidenote. I'll continue to stick with ALCInject.

Thanks, macgirl. Nice to know you and others are here to help. Unfortunately, I deleted my extensions cache (system/library/extensions.mkext and system/library/extensions/caches/com.apple.kext.info) and rebooted and still am in the same boat. No sound. I think the difference is that you actually had sound coming out of our speakers at one point - I have not. My sound still only works through the headphones.

Do I actually need to do anything with the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16? Or is simply installing the two files that you attached to the first post in this thread good enough?

P.S. Thanks Superhai for the sidenote. I'll continue to stick with ALCInject.

What the Taruga's AppleHDA patcher (any version) does is modify an AppleHDA.kext (that it has inside the app), then install that modified version, and install ALCinject (that is also inside the app), then correct ownership and repair permissions.

You can see the files inside the patcher if you contol-click (or second button click) over and select show package contents.

So you may use the patcher or the already patched for Sigmatel 9228. ALCinject depends if you are using the gfx string or not.

The patcher has no working dump for speakers, only thru jack.

What the Taruga's AppleHDA patcher (any version) does is modify an AppleHDA.kext (that it has inside the app), then install that modified version, and install ALCinject (that is also inside the app), then correct ownership and repair permissions.

You can see the files inside the patcher if you contol-click (or second button click) over and select show package contents.

So you may use the patcher or the already patched for Sigmatel 9228. ALCinject depends if you are using the gfx string or not.

The patcher has no working dump for speakers, only thru jack.

O M G - Sound!!! Thank you, Thank you! It worked. Thanks for the explanation. All I did was reboot. Then once back in OSX, I installed the two kexts that you posted to the original post using Kext Helper 0.7 (with the Tag cache rebuild option selected). I rebooted and once it came back up, the speakers worked!!

I am sooooooo happy right now :) I pretty much have everything that I care about working right now... the audio, nvidia 8400 works great, got the $15 TruMobile wireless card of eBay (Dell PN: YH774) for the wifi.

Thanks macgirl, for all the time you have spent with this community helping people out. You rock!!

Update: OK, after I reboot the m1330... the sound stops working, again. Just reinstalling the two kexts didn't seem to fix the issue after a reboot :P

Soooo... the fix that seems to bring my speaker sound back is the following:

1.) Open AppleHDAPatcher v1.16 and drop vivavn's patch.txt on the frog icon (Thanks, vivavn!)

3.) Open up Kext Helper b7

4.) Drop AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext (from macgirl's original post in this thread) into Kext Helper

5.) Click the advanced tab and click the Tag cache rebuild option

6.) Hit the Easy Install option and reboot

Once OS X is back up, the sound works again. Not sure what exactly is causing the issue (or exactly what is fixing it for that matter), but I'll continue to investigate. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

The thing about the battery has to do with the PowerManagement.bundle and AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, but this kext is not loaded if the "OSBundleLibraries" don't match with AppleACPIPlatform and IOACPIFamily, this kext is inside the AppleACPIPlatform as a Plugin, so edit the Info.plist and make the versions match.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Using Terminal:
sudo -s
<password>
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents

sudo nano Info.plist

<string>AppleACPIPlatform</s>
<k>CFBundle...
<string>1.1.0, Copyright...
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</s>
<k>CFBundle
<string>6.0</s>
...CFBundle Version String 
ctrl-X
cd PlugIns
ls
...Buttons, EC, and PCI.kexts

Where do I get AppleACPIPowerSource.kext? Which version do I modify it to?

Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext does not have it.

the Macnub version on the first post does have it.

see inside /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Hi Everyone,

I am about to buy a Dell for Leopard. I would like your advice. I am trying to decide between a XPS M1330

or one of the Inspirons. From what I am reading here, it seems that it's pretty much impossible to get both cores

working in the Inspiron series at the moment. Is this also problem with the XPS?

If I get an XPS M1330, does everything work properly including both cores after a bit of patching?

Thank you all for your help.

From what I am reading here, it seems that it's pretty much impossible to get both coresworking in the Inspiron series at the moment. Is this also problem with the XPS?If I get an XPS M1330, does everything work properly including both cores after a bit of patching?
Hi, I have a nearly perfect install of leopard working now, both cores, qe/ci video, wireless, bluetooth... I am working on audio now. Anyway, it seems that almost everything works on the m1330 right now, except sleep, reboot, and power down. the microphone does not work and neither does the built in ethernet jack. Finally if you want wireless get the Dell wireless card and not the Intel one. other than that it is all fine. Good luck with your install. Thanks, I had this problem too and this fixed it. Thanks also to Macgirl for all of the help, I wouldnt have leopard without it.

Update: OK, after I reboot the m1330... the sound stops working, again. Just reinstalling the two kexts didn't seem to fix the issue after a reboot :P

Soooo... the fix that seems to bring my speaker sound back is the following:

1.) Open AppleHDAPatcher v1.16 and drop vivavn's patch.txt on the frog icon (Thanks, vivavn!)

3.) Open up Kext Helper b7

4.) Drop AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext (from macgirl's original post in this thread) into Kext Helper

5.) Click the advanced tab and click the Tag cache rebuild option

6.) Hit the Easy Install option and reboot

Once OS X is back up, the sound works again. Not sure what exactly is causing the issue (or exactly what is fixing it for that matter), but I'll continue to investigate. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

weird - i wont have sound at boot up, then i remembered that i installed this while on battery so i unplugged it and few seconds later there is sound again.

Hi Everyone,

I am about to buy a Dell for Leopard. I would like your advice. I am trying to decide between a XPS M1330

or one of the Inspirons. From what I am reading here, it seems that it's pretty much impossible to get both cores

working in the Inspiron series at the moment. Is this also problem with the XPS?

If I get an XPS M1330, does everything work properly including both cores after a bit of patching?

Thank you all for your help.

Old inspirons have that issue, new ones (present generation), also new XPS do not have problems with 2 cores.

Anyone know the difference between Intel Integrated Graphics 3100 and 3000? Do they both play nice with Leopard?

3000 is for Desktop and 3100 is the "mobile" veersion of 3000.

Right now there are only drivers for X3100, they are working but in some Dells they need som tricks to make them work.

See thes threads:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

Hi, I have a nearly perfect install of leopard working now, both cores, qe/ci video, wireless, bluetooth... I am working on audio now. Anyway, it seems that almost everything works on the m1330 right now, except sleep, reboot, and power down. the microphone does not work and neither does the built in ethernet jack. Finally if you want wireless get the Dell wireless card and not the Intel one. other than that it is all fine. Good luck with your install. Thanks, I had this problem too and this fixed it. Thanks also to Macgirl for all of the help, I wouldnt have leopard without it.

Just to clarify one thing, buil-in Microphone does not work, but microphone at front jack works.

Does the truemobile card work in the WWAN slot? If so which wires goto where? I seem to have 3 spare wires, yet the other wifi card only has 2 connected?

There are reports that it work on the WWAN on other Dells.

I believe that the new "N" wireless cards use 3 wires for antena, and old ones just 2, nevev see how many the WWANs uses.

Also the turbo cache card (a Mini PCI-E) goes in the WWAN slot.

Do you want to have both wireless cards isntalled?

Is there any chance of making the first post have a bit more detailed guide?

I got the graphics working with EFI and it then booted in like 3 seconds! it was crazy!

But then on trying to fix battery meter and sound i have just made a mistake somewhere and now i get a kernel panic on boot :)

Mainly detailed steps for the battery meter bit and for the audio, do we just need to install those two new audio kexts? or still use HDApatcher as well?

all help is greatly appreciated!

PS the card works fine in the WWAN slot. I just dont use the blue wire. I'd like to keep the intel card in there as it gets much better signal than the Broadcom wifi. e.g right now i have 3 bars in vista on the intel card, and 1 bar on the broadcom for same acessspoint.

AngelusDark9 I asked a week ago to the Dell parts and Service of Mexico fot the Wireless card of the Inspiron 1501, because that notebook came with the Dell Truemobile 1490 (Broadcom chipset), $74.00 with all fees and taxes included.

A friend has that notebook and I took the card and put it in my XPS, it was recognized as an Airport, also I put my Intel card on that notebook but it never get on with the card installed, so I guess that the Inspiron 1501 only works with the Broadcoms models.

I searched on the Dell's site and there is no indiciation or driver for the intel card on the Inspiron 1505.

The USB wireless dongles that I have 3com (Zydas chipset) and a CNet (Ralink chipset) works with Tiger and Leopard), I now that some of the Linksys are Ralink based.

Is there any chance of making the first post have a bit more detailed guide?

I got the graphics working with EFI and it then booted in like 3 seconds! it was crazy!

But then on trying to fix battery meter and sound i have just made a mistake somewhere and now i get a kernel panic on boot :P

Mainly detailed steps for the battery meter bit and for the audio, do we just need to install those two new audio kexts? or still use HDApatcher as well?

all help is greatly appreciated!

PS the card works fine in the WWAN slot. I just dont use the blue wire. I'd like to keep the intel card in there as it gets much better signal than the Broadcom wifi. e.g right now i have 3 bars in vista on the intel card, and 1 bar on the broadcom for same acessspoint.

Hey, if you are worried about the 3rd wire, what I did was swap the crads. I have the intel one in the wwan port with all 3 wires connected and my dell 1490 in the wlan port with the two wires...and all works beautifully...

Did you copy the PowerManagement bundle from speedstep package or other?

Does the AppleACPIPowerSource kext is loaded?

You can see with System Profiler under extensions or on Terminal with kextstat command.

I used the SpeedStep instructions given at the link http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2727. So I've replaced mach_kernel, AppleSMBios, and the PowerManagement.bundle with the ones there.

The AppleACPIPowerSource kext is not loaded. How can I fix that?

THANKS!

(Also, sound is working now after multiple reinstalls of the kexts!)