MacWorld 2008 Transcript Leaked?

Colonel

114 posts in this topic

I was referring to dual layered discs actually.What do you like about bluray then? And you do know that intel is on the hddvd board right? And apple uses intel chips.

i like the fact that Blu-Ray actually has major movie studios backing them....

and so what if Intel is on the HD DVD Board....Apple, Inc. is on the Blu-Ray board period. and Apple designs what is put into their hardware so what does Intel being on the HD DVD Board have to do with anything?

I was referring to dual layered discs actually.

Ah, my bad then.

What do you like about bluray? I'm curious.

I like Blu-Ray cause I think the name is catchy. HD-DVD sounds like your in a spelling bee.

i like the fact that Blu-Ray actually has major movie studios backing them....

That's your opinion. Apparently Paramount Pictures and Universal aren't major studios to you.

and so what if Intel is on the HD DVD Board....Apple, Inc. is on the Blu-Ray board period. and Apple designs what is put into their hardware so what does Intel being on the HD DVD Board have to do with anything?

Intel is their partner, so it does effect them. You can't author bluray movies on a mac pro at all. So until they do offer bluray drives as part of a mac pro, can't really say anything more.

Intel is their partner, so it does effect them. You can't author bluray movies on a mac pro at all. So until they do offer bluray drives as part of a mac pro, can't really say anything more.

Since when does Intel make DVD drives?

I like Blu-Ray cause I think the name is catchy. HD-DVD sounds like your in a spelling bee.
They have region based drm. Don't you care about fair use rights like being able to back up content you own? Remember the quality of the picture and sound is the same with both practically. They are also trying to prevent bluray players from playing back video that was burned into bluray blank media. So no HD home movies can be played back. All trying to prevent piracy, but all it does is get in the way of consumer rights and what consumers have been use to getting. HD DVD doesn't have any of these restrictions. So I don't see anything to like about bluray here.So sure it sounds catchy, but it costs more and is more restrictive. I'd rather go with hd dvd at this point.
Since when does Intel make DVD drives?
I never said that. I said intel is their partner. That's all.

That's your opinion. Apparently Paramount Pictures and Universal aren't major studios to you.

Paramount is heavily rumored to switch over or at least support both formats. you can't honestly believe that a format that has over 75% of industry support will lose out the format war.

I never said that. I said intel is their partner. That's all.
I didn't get what you were saying there. You made it sound like Apple can't use Blu-Ray cause of Intel. Which is actually more or less what you said. But the way it sounded, it seemed as though Intel's suppling them with drives so they can't use Blu-Ray. I'm pretty sure that if Apple wants Blu-Ray drives, Apple gets Blu-Ray drives and no one (except us and other boards) questions it.

They have region based drm. Don't you care about fair use rights like being able to back up content you own? Remember the quality of the picture and sound is the same with both practically. They are also trying to prevent bluray players from playing back video that was burned into bluray blank media. So no HD home movies can be played back. All trying to prevent piracy, but all it does is get in the way of consumer rights and what consumers have been use to getting. HD DVD doesn't have any of these restrictions. So I don't see anything to like about bluray here.So sure it sounds catchy, but it costs more and is more restrictive. I'd rather go with hd dvd at this point.
I actually don't care about either. High-Def isn't that important to me. I could care less about it. There's far more important things in the world than High-Def. I was just saying the name is catchier, that's why I like it and that's why it'll probably end up winning. And I can back up my entire music library on a single-layer Blu-Ray. So that's pretty cool.

Paramount is heavily rumored to switch over or at least support both formats. you can't honestly believe that a format that has over 75% of industry support will lose out the format war.
Paramount has denied that rumor. So until they say they are, then it's not true. Wasn't their speculation a few days ago that Apple would release a mac pro with a bluray drive in it? That wasn't true. And neither is this until it is confirmed.Bluray could lose even with 75% support. Sony has been paying studios subsidies to produce bluray titles. When those subsidies run out, what's gonna happen then? They will find hd dvd is cheaper to make.
I didn't get what you were saying there. You made it sound like Apple can't use Blu-Ray cause of Intel. Which is actually more or less what you said. But the way it sounded, it seemed as though Intel's suppling them with drives so they can't use Blu-Ray. I'm pretty sure that if Apple wants Blu-Ray drives, Apple gets Blu-Ray drives and no one (except us and other boards) questions it.
Sorry, I just meant that Intel could influence the direction that Apple takes with bluray and hddvd.
I actually don't care about either. High-Def isn't that important to me. I could care less about it. There's far more important things in the world than High-Def. I was just saying the name is catchier, that's why I like it and that's why it'll probably end up winning. And I can back up my entire music library on a single-layer Blu-Ray. So that's pretty cool.
Then I suppose you're the wrong person to be talking about hddvd and bluray. I guess dvd is good enough for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Mac Pro

• √ Based off the Penryn chipset

• √ Dual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard

• √ 2GB of RAM standard

• √ 320GB HDD standard

• x NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Graphics standard

• √ Blu-Ray build-to-order option for an extra $400

MacBook Nano x

• √ Ultraportable Mac

• √ Same screen resolution and size as the current MacBooks; 13” at 1280x800

• √ 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz low voltage Core 2 Duos

• x√ Low end model to feature a 32GB SSD and the higher end to have a 64GB SSD