DFI Blood Iron P35 Updated w/ How To for all P35 and similar Mobo's

63 posts in this topic

Let me warn you: DON'T GET THIS BOARD!

After reading this post, I went out to get one of these for my new system.

Okay, this board *is* working very fine with Leopard (I'm using Leo4Allv2). But apart from that, it's utter {censored}. IDE devices (or SATA devices in IDE mode) will only be recognized when cold-booting, as opposed to just pressing the reset-button. Booting from SATA dvd drive was impossible for me (not only the leopard disk). To get into the BIOS, I have to through at least five reset-cycles until the BIOS finally appears after pressing DEL. Most of the time, I would just get a blue bar on the screen when trying to enter the BIOS and the PC would completely hang.

Not to talk about my issues with the onboard ALC885 codec - I opened another thread about that, since it might also be Leopard-related.

Okay, you might argue that I do not use the latest BIOS at the moment, but it's not the very first revision either, and even if it was, these aren't the kind of issues I am willing to accept with a brand new, not-too-cheap board.

Better get one of these cheered Gigabyte boards. If I can't relieve the issues with the DFI at least a little, I'm returning it and getting a Gigabyte instead.

I do have a question... if turn achi on (does this board have it?) can you still use all the sata ports... cause on the gigabyte models you can only use the drives on the first sata module if achi is on...

the benefit of having achi is being able to use more then 3 gigs of ram :(

I do have a question... if turn achi on (does this board have it?) can you still use all the sata ports... cause on the gigabyte models you can only use the drives on the first sata module if achi is on...

the benefit of having achi is being able to use more then 3 gigs of ram :P

Thanks strangedaze! I bought the P35-T2RS after reading your posts! I have to say I am impressed with the P35-T2RS and the Wolfdale E8400! Everything just works great! The sound works after the patch. Line-in/line-out/sound out works, as well as the SPDIF line-out. The ethernet works out of the box.

thespottedelf: To answer your question regarding ACHI, I didn't have to set ACHI on the P35-T2RS and it works fine. OSX86 is a 64 bit OS and see all my 4GB RAM. I also noticed you will loose a couple of SATA port. I have a WD 500GB HD and when I turned on ACHI, the WD 500GB was not detected, but when I set it back to IDE, the WD 500GB gets detected fine.

I am dual-booting XP and OSX86, and XP only see 3.25GB RAM which I have no complaint.

I see a lot of folks recommending this board but very few rundowns as to how to install onto it (what drivers are needed? Will it run a vanilla kernel? etc)

Also, I've read this board may be slightly smaller than ATX? If so it might be perfect for a modding project I have in mind. How many folks have used one of these boards, what installation method have you used and how usable was the finished item?

Sorry guys. Building this system took longer than I wanted. Life got in the way. Had to do it a little at a time.

Please see my signature for the hardware I used.

I used the Kalyway disk, formatted it GUID, and specified Nvidia 8000 drivers.

XP is running on one hard drive and Leopard is running on the other. XP is mainly there for Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and Unreal Tournament. I use the Blood Iron Bios to choose which drive to boot from. Will fool around with the darwin bootloader later.

Like Stragedaze said, everything worked except the sound. I'm still trying to get the sound to work without luck. Tried the different AppleHDAPatcher version 1.16 - 1.20 without luck. Also tried multiple ALC885 codecs without luck. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Upgraded to 10.5.2 using NETKAS method. Installed NVInjects v41 to get the dual monitor support working.

I get a Geekbench score of 3380 which seems low to me. Nothing else is running. I do it immediately after a re-boot. I will try to upgrade the BIOS and see if that helps. I will also overclock it to 3.0. I'm also using a Zalman CNPS9700 air cooler.

Downloaded SUPERDUPER to backup my hard work. It took almost 24HRs for a 200GB hard drive that was 24% full. I'm using a Western Digital 500GB USB 2.0 External Drive. Is this normal? Leopard also takes 24 Hrs to backup 69GB of data. Is that normal?

8GB of RAM should work with this board, so I will be purchasing another 4GB at a later date and see who it goes. I will be running Parallels, so the extra RAM should speed things us when going back and forth.

From my experience so far. This system is stable as hell. Hasnt crashed yet. I've been playing with it, installing software, and transfering file from my Mac Mini 2.0 Core Dup.

So my to do list is:

1. Upgrade BIOS.

2. Get Sound Working

3. Get 4GB of RAM.

4. Get the Darwin bootloader to start XP.

5. Overclock it to 3.0.

I'd like to thank Onetrack, Stragedaze, Weaksauce, Macgirl, Devin and many of the Insanelymac.com community for showing us it can be done and how to do it.

And to Netkas, Kalyway, iAtkos, JAS, Taruga, and our other beloved osX86 developers. We couldnt have done it without all of you!

Joe

@porjo01

I have set mine up this weekend and everything works perfectly as well. The codec dump I got from here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71257&mode=threaded&pid=505417

and i used this AppleHDA patcher

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=18636

and optical, coax, and analog all work. just drag and drop the codec dump on top of the frog and reboot.

• 2 months later...

First I'd like to thank everyone who posted their experiences with this board. As a result, my first foray into building a Hackintosh was relatively painless.

I'm running the following:

DFI Bloodiron P35-T2RL

EVGA GeFOrce 8800GTS SSC

Intel Q9300

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB

Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA 750GB

Seagate SATA 250GB

Lite-On 20x SATA DVD Burner

My only installation problems came when I insisted on trying to set up XP, Vista 64bit, and OS X on the same drive. I'm sure it could be done, but I opted to save myself some further frustration, and put OS X on a second Seagate SATA Drive. Vista's Bootloader handles startup duties.

I used Kalyway 10.5.2, and installed all my drivers right at the point of install, patching the audio after the initial install was the only patch I've had to apply thus far. The links to the codec and patcher above did the trick nicely.

I am having only one issue (in the week or so since I got everything up and running) - Restart and Shutdown hangs. Does anyone know a specific patch that will fix this problem?

I've OC'd the processor up to 2.8Ghz, and once I get some additional cooling in place, I'll probably step it up a bit from there. Overall I'm very happy with the performance thus far, and glad to have OS X on my desktop.

Can you install the latest pc_efi v8 from NETKAS, so you can install Apple upgrades easy?

Not sure why you guys use different methods to upgrade from Kalaway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3.

Cheers!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working Bloodiron, EVGA 8800GTS, Asus SATA DVDRW, Segate SATA HDD, 2 Firewire cards both work, Firewire 410 working.

I reinstalled OS because the audio patch failed and I get a push restart message after or during shutdown.

Audio is stable now. Having USB hot swop issues 10.5.2

The audio patch doesn't seem to install the first time I do it, it's a been quirky to install. I used 1.16 installer (which runs permissions for you) with the text file listed in this post. didn't work. Installed a second time with same text file over the previous install, with the 1.2 installer, manually ran disk utility to check permissions, it worked.Hoping for the best as the install sequence makes no logical sense to me, so I don't pretend to understand why its working.

• 2 weeks later...

One question. When Im installing MacOS X, do I select vanilla kernel or some other? As I understood vanilla is for Intel and SEE3, so will it work as it should or should I chose some other?

I have:

Intel Core2Duo E6750

DFI BloodIron T2L

Kingston 2x1GB HyperX 1200

Gainward 8600GT GS GLH

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I've been following the updated steps...

I'm getting an error with sort of ghostbuster icon over my Apple logo when I put in my retail copy of 10.5. Anyone have any ideas why that would be happening?

I have Kalway 10.5.2 install on hd already but having issues with gpu, ethernet, and sound.

Here are my spec for my sys:

mobo: bloodiron T2RL

gpu: xfx 9800gt

hd: western digital sata 1tb

Any help would be great. I'm an osx86 noob.

what about the shutdown? have you got problem with that? cause with the kalyway 10.5.2 method i've shutdown issues...can you tell us if with you method and installing the last 10.5.5 leopard version the shutdown problem is solved?

btw i've an e2140 at 3.0ghz, dfi blood iron, maxtor 250gb with ahci, 2gb vdata, ide cd-rom...more or less your hw.

No I didn't have shutdown issues, sleep or restart with kalway 10.5.2.

I was having issues with dropdown menus displaying all white, no sound, and ethernet not working.

After reading more on the web it seems that alot of people are using this boot 132 method so they can update the os.

With the new method i'm getting the freezing issue while trying to load the retail 10.5 dvd.

thx bingeboy but the question was directed for the guy who started this topic cause we have a similar configuration and from his sign he has and e2140! :( hrw thank you for the replay i'm gonna try the boot123 method in these days!

This was my planned install method. I've been getting all ready, but I was gonna use a gigabyte P45-UD3R or another similar board. Would I be better off going for a blood iron? I want best OOB-ness.