Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

The links I gave were dead. I updated them. If they go down again the thread you are looking for is: InsanelyMac Forum / Homebrew Macs (Home of OSx86). / Hardware / Drivers and the thread is called 'Users with GMA 950 / 3100 Real Macs needed here, Help us to fix the resolution change for hackintosh users'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ggavlas,

I was wondering if you have tried the non-efi method for the X3100 before you put in the efi, cuz the non-efi solution doesn't work for me, and I have heard in same cases even with efi installed, it doesn't solve the blue screen problem.

Since I'll have to wipe out my existing Vista installation with efi, I want to make sure if the effort is going to worth it

THanks

OK, I finally got it working. Here is what I did from a base brazilmac image.

1) copied the brazilmac image to the partition I wanted to run it from using dd under linux.

2) booted the system using the -x option to get into safe run mode.

3) under safe mode I moved /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext to /AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext to remove it from the extensions and keep a backup copy. This gave me a display to work with outside of safe mode. Not really necessary, but gave me the ability to reboot as I needed to without having to hit -x each time.

4) I rebooted to get out of Safe mode.

5) I installed efi using the following instructions

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

(in those instructions, after it tells you to reboot and hit f8, make sure you type mach_kernel.patched, not just kernel.patched...that was a typo in the instructions)

6) I booted the system with the real osx kernel and connected the external display.

7) I ran software update to update the system to 10.5.1

8) Upon reboot, only the external display would work. I backed up the copy of Natit.kext already in /System/Library/Extensions. I copied the latest Natit.kext made by Paulicat into /System/Library/Extensions, the ran "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext" and "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext". (You can get the Natit.kext from Paulicat at this thread - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282)

9) And this was the key that I missed before. I removed the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext file from /System/Library/Extensions, making sure to keep a backup but removing it from the folder altogether.

I think overall, my problem here was that I didn't have the full instructions. I'm not necessarily dependant on step-by-step instructions, but I just saw the reference to removing the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer today as I was going back through the threads. On Nov. 12th, paulicat had stated "If you are dealing with an X3100, you DO NOT care about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer as that is ONLY for gma950's." I didn't realize that removing that file was the key for me. I hope this helps.

We may have some development here. Please check out the link below from Netkas' blog.:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,9.msg307.html#msg307

Once you read that, what I say now will make sense....

OK, so I got to the point where I have an editable plist file. My question is, what exactly AM I supposed to edit?

Because I'm in a place where (1) Internet access is not very reliable and thus downloads are hard to come by, and (2) I don't have access to any extra hardware, I've been forced to try to find creative solutions to get Leopard working on my Lenovo R61i.

1) Boot from the CD. The one I have is ToH RC2. Boot with the "-x" option

2) Install.

3) Reboot from the CD. Again, boot with "-x".

4) Install the bootloader. ToH doesn't seem to do it on its own.

5) Edit com.apple.Boot.plist on the boot drive. Add the parameters "-v -s".

6) Install Natit.kext and dsmos.kext

7) Reboot from the hard drive. It should boot into single user mode

8) Run "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext; kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext"

9) Type "logout"

I suspect that Natit.kext needs to load before AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, but I'm not familiar enough with Apple's setup to know exactly what's going on. Unfortunately, as I have it set up right now, I need to do the kextloads on every startup. Not very convenient, but it gets the system going.

We may have some development here. Please check out the link below from Netkas' blog.:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,9.msg307.html#msg307

Once you read that, what I say now will make sense....

OK, so I got to the point where I have an editable plist file. My question is, what exactly AM I supposed to edit?

Try the x3100-string file as your graphics string for the com.apple.boot.plist...

or just use my com.apple.boot.plist and see if it will work (put into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

com.apple.Boot.zip

x3100_string.zip

Cloud,

I appreciate your response, but I have already tried that method, and even tried it again just now using your files with no luck. The internal display simply goes black. That is the whole point behind the gfxutil app I referenced in my prior post. That app converts the hex string to a plist file. You then need to edit something in the plist file and then convert the new file back to hex, and THEN use that new string in the boot.plist file.

So I am left with the question, once I do convert the hex string to a plist, what exactly am I supposed to edit in that plist file?

UPDATE: OK, I am pretty sure once you create that plist file, what you need to edit is the EDID. Now if I only knew how to get the hex code (or whatever is in that plist) I could test it out.

OK, I made a little more progress here....I think.....

Once I had converted the GMAX3100 dump from a Macbook to the plist file, I removed the EDID identification string. I then converted that plist file back to hex format. I inserted the string into my Boot.plist file and....for a brief second I saw a blue screen before my LCD went dark.

My thoughts are that possibly the solution is not remove the EDID string from your converted plist file, but actually use an EDID string you generate from your own laptop. My main issue is I have no idea how to get the EDID string to use in the file.

My thoughts are that possibly the solution is not remove the EDID string from your converted plist file, but actually use an EDID string you generate from your own laptop. My main issue is I have no idea how to get the EDID string to use in the file.

Use moninfo under windows http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm and scroll down to RAW EDID base you'll see:

00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 0E BF 18 24 00 00 00 00

(etc)

copy it and put it in notepad or similar

remove the 00: 01: through to 70: and the join the remaining hex digits up to give

00FFFFFFFFFFFF000EBF182400000000 ... (total 128 bytes, it should be the same length as the plist data when you're done.)

This is the EDID data that you'd need for the file, if you need it in base64 (AP/////// etc) take the hex string and paste in into the top right box on http://www.paulschou.com/tools/xlate/ and click the button below the box, the base64 version will be in the bottom left box

Jim, Thanks for the assist. I was able to get the EDID string from my LCD, did all the converting back and forth, put the new device string in my boot.plsit and....

Still a no go. Have tried both with and without Natit and get the exact same results. When loginwindow.app starts up I get a brief blue screen and then the LCD goes black. Pretty sure the LCD is actually being powered down, not just a lack of a video signal.

Jim,

Here are both the converted plist and a text file with the Macbook string and the string for my laptop.

Thanks,

1st thought, width, height & refresh in plist are 1280x800@59 not 1440x900@60

change:

<key>AAPL01,Height</key>

<data>

hAMAAA==

</data>

<key>AAPL01,Refresh</key>

<data>

PgAAAA==

</data>

<key>AAPL01,Width</key>

<data>

oAUAAA==

</data>

If that doesn't work, another thing to try is deleting all of the AAPL01 keys as something may be affecting the internal display. I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a try.

Jim,

Made the edits you suggested and recreated the hex string. Again tried both with and without Natit and am getting the exact same results. Once loginwindow.app starts I get a brief blue screen followed by my LCD going dark.

errandwolfe-

I am running a Dell D630 and was having the same issues that you have mentioned above (internal monitor goes black after blue screen). I hooked up my computer to an extrenal monitor and it pushed the video to that one properly; however, i still couldn't get the video to go internally. I then deleted all of my AppleIntelX3100 kexts and the AppleIntelFramBuffer kexy and voila! I had internal video. The next issue that i now have is that fact that my internal mouse doesn't work.

hope this helps.

ejlax

ejlax,

That does not mean your video is working. You are currently running in VESA mode. You have no quartz extreme and no core image. If you are more familiar with windows, it would be the equivalent of running a generic VGA driver versus the actual driver for your video card.

ejlax,

That does not mean your video is working. You are currently running in VESA mode. You have no quartz extreme and no core image. If you are more familiar with windows, it would be the equivalent of running a generic VGA driver versus the actual driver for your video card.

Okay that makes sense...i wasn't sure if yuo didn't have internal video at all or if you were jsut missing the QE/CI. I am in your same boat then...everytime i use a AppleIntelx3100.kext my internal monitor disappears. I fixed the mouse issue (reinstalled kext). My brother has a new macbook with the X3100 is there anything that i can copy off of that to aid in this process?

hi everyone,

Its nice to hear that there is progress with the X3100 problem.

I managed to make my Sony CR190E work with Paulicats Natit but its very hard to install. Everytime I try to reformat my hard drive (test purposes) and install Leo on it, when the time comes to install Natit, I have to boot in safe mode, remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (version 1.4.20), install Natit.kext from Paulicat, repair permission, reboot. After reboot I see a white moving distored screen. To solve this, I have to enable voice over (command +F5) and imagine hovering blindy my mouse to the WHITE screen, or using the keyboard (arrow keys) to go to System Preferences (the voice will help me go there) and then go to DISPLAY to change my resolution. The display will only show if I reach 1024x768 .. I started from 800x600 .. the voice over getting totally annoying already .. lol. Anyway, the max resolution that my laptop can handle is supposedly 1280x800 (Windows) but In my OSX86 Leo install, it only has 1280x768 and I notice that bottom line is totally distored. To solve this, I have to install SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX and install a modified resolution which is 1280x800. It actually solve the resolution problem but I dont feel the RealMac touch, eventhough QE/CI is enabled. I feel like DisplayConfigX just forced it to view 1280x800 and my screen is ok but kinda blurry (far off from the real mac with x3100, display wise). Note: I'm using efi ver 8.0/MBR

Now that Ive explained the complication of my install, I was hoping there is an easier way for me not to do all the things listed above.

Here comes gfx-string!!! I kinda got excited and hoped I DONT have to do the voice over again! lol ...

Here is the problem. Im not as techy as you guys but I am really interested in learning and hoping to help/contribute too. I tried to read gfx-string forum from netkas and I might say that I got SOOO CONFUSED!! I didn't understand anything!! =(

I humbly request for a STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE (for noobs) on how to install GMAX3100 using GFX-STRING.

I honestly dont know where to start with gfx-string. What programs/tools that will be needed? What files? I only know how to get my EDID via Windows.

I understand that this is not yet confirmed to be working, but by this we can also share our experiences that might help others too. The chances of this to be solved will be quicker since more people is trying this new method possibility.

Your help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

jabs

Jabonga,

Making a FAQ or instructions at this point would not really solve anything as we haven't really come upon a solution yet. As for instructions on how to use the gfxutil to create and editable plist file and then convert that back to a device string, all the instructions were in the post where you can download the gfxutil app.

Basically it is this:

1. Use xxd (this is a command line util included in OS X) to convert the GMA X3100 hex dump from a Macbook with the GMA X3100 to a binary file.

2. Use gfxutil to convert that binary file to a plist file.

3. Use the Propertly List Editor from XCode to edit the plist file for your specific hardware. Now this is the tricky part here as we have not yet figured out WHAT exactly to edit. I have already tried several things such as my EDID string, default screen resolution, and refresh rate.

4. Use gfxutil to convert the plist file back to binary.

5. Use xxd to convert the binary back to hex.

6. Insert the hex string into you boot.plist file.

There has been a lot of reported success using this method to get nVidia cards working. There has not yet been any success with the GMA X3100 though. Hopefully as more minds are applied to the problem we will figure out a solution.