My Site's New Design #3

~pcwiz

Rate my new design #3  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Rate pcwizcomputer.com new design (0-worst 5-best)

50 posts in this topic

EVERYTHING has been changed once again (Feb 2008). Please scroll down to post #39 and read

As per request from the older "My Sites New Design" thread I have done another redesign of the site. Original design by Mesh, Converted to HTML by skyhighmac. The site works well on resolutions of 1024x768 and above. If the new design doesn't appear at first or if a page looks scrambled, please refresh a few times.

Check it out:

http://######.com

And rate.

I think it looks pretty awesome, somewhat better than by older design. This is the 2nd redesign in less than 3 weeks so this is the last complete redesign I will be doing for a while to come.

The header is a bit plain but it shows what its supposed to, the title. Any suggestions though on what I can do to improve the header?

EDIT: The drop down menu in the Software section doesn't appear properly in IE 6 but it shows properly in Firefox. Any idea why?

EDIT2: Never mind, fixed.

Hm, looks familiar.

Definite improvements.

I'm curious. What happened to the footer? The forum's page footer looks much better.

Typography could use improvement. Notice in my example how there is more space between articles and sections? If you don't want to group things together as much as I did, at least add another line break after each article to make it easier to read.

On the index, the Navigation section must go. You're not teaching a class of neanderthals -- this is a no brainer. And nobody is gonna care about your alternate URL, no matter how neat it might seem. Put something useful here instead.

And seriously? Still Google ads? Are you _really_ anticipating that much traffic to warrant these eye-sores? At least get rid of the banner at the top of each section.

Ideally you'd also get rid of the search at the top... but since that probably won't go over well with you, at least get rid of the radio buttons (just put the pcwiz value into a hidden form element), rename the submit button to "Go", and have "Search" already as a value in the text field for clarity. Then stick it in the navigation bar. Ahhh. It feels less ugly just thinking about it.

One thing I am not willing to do:

Take out the Google Ads. They are my ONLY source of income (not a lot I'll tell you), just a little bit more than thats needed to cover the web hosting costs.

skyhighmac, could you follow inimicus's advice about the search box and the footer? I'll send you my modified template as soon as I have access to my home computer so you can make the neccessary changes to it. For the search box, the text field will have to be shortened for it to fit in the nav bar on lower resolutions.

I will also remove the Navigation and alternate URL stuff but what do you suggest I place in the index page?

I am still looking for advice on what to do about the header cause I do agree it is somewhat plain and after the search box is take out of there its gonna be plain-ER.

The index is the first page most users see. Make an impression.

Use this spot for news, featured articles, something interesting. Don't let this page stagnate, it will only turn off visitors. This should be the most updated page. It should kindle interest. It shouldn't spell out every aspect of your site... especially when your target audience is what it is.

User interaction never hurt, either. Allow visitors to comment the articles. Even though you do have a forum, this is a more direct way to get feedback.

I don't notice the ads... but then I have AdBlockPlus. So can't comment on how they affect the look.

Overall the look is much better than before.

Now, about the code...

Again try to edit a central css (or many); it won't affect the visual look, but will simplify further changes, especially if the site grows.

Also, I've seen this code in the software section:

<p align="left" class="text-left style5 style6"><span class="style5 style7"><span class="style8"><span class="style6"><span class="style10"><span class="style6"><strong><a href="tweakuiguide.htm">Power Up Windows XP with TweakUI </a></strong></span></span></span></span></span> </p>

I don't know how dreamweaver got you there, but it's evidently too much. I didn't mention it in the other thread, but now that you've tackled the right look, it thought it was time to point it out.

I haven't looked at all the pages' source, but only that one page up to now had this problem.

Other than that, again code-wise, since you use style-sheets, there's really no need for the "font" tags; they don't give problems in the final look, but for further changes it'll be easier to migrate to css. Two particular examples are found (in the source) here: http://######.com/software/tweakuiguide.htm , http://######.com/software/todowininstall.htm

An example in the second link is:

<li style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, sans-serif">
  <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, sans-serif" align="left">
	 <font face="Verdana" style="font-size: 9pt">Repeat driver installation process for all hardware
	 </font>
  </div>
</li>

Which font face did you want? You'll get Verdana 9pt in the end here. But in any case, it seems 9pt/12px is the usual size you are using all over the site for normal text, and a sans-serif font; since these are your standard, chose one and put it in the style sheet for the "p", "li" and "div" tags, or whichever variations you'd like, and you won't need the extraneous code above. No need to mix px and pt: chose the one you prefer and stick to it.

For the second example above, you'll end up with the much simpler:

<li>Repeat driver installation process for all hardware</li>

(you don't really need the "div", if your "li" is well defined)

A clean code will always be easier to manage, and style sheets will help.

Notwithstanding these details (which again don't affect the look), you're on the right track; the rest (code and look) is mainly tweakings.

It does look like a geeky site, but after all it is. Can't make an artsy site with pc tweakings etc.

I think I'll worry about the tiny problems that don't affect the look later. For now, I need to perfect the actual look :D

The index is the first page most users see. Make an impression.Use this spot for news, featured articles, something interesting. Don't let this page stagnate, it will only turn off visitors. This should be the most updated page. It should kindle interest. It shouldn't spell out every aspect of your site... especially when your target audience is what it is.User interaction never hurt, either. Allow visitors to comment the articles. Even though you do have a forum, this is a more direct way to get feedback.
The news is what the RSS feed is for. I can't think of any creative ideas? Can you give me some specifc examples?
About the google ads, I know how much he pays a month, and if the ads just cover it, then that is very little. Do you think I should change the search or delete it?
Well actually...the ads more than cover the web hosting costs but I'll tell you right now, every month I get enough money to buy one average priced video game. So you can get a pretty close estimate :) As for the search, I think you should change it based on iniminus's suggestion rather than delete it.

Footer and search has been modified according to inimicus's suggestion.

2 things I am still looking for:

1) Suggestions for header, because it looks plain

2) SPECIFIC suggestions for stuff to put on the index page. I haven't removed the Navigation part yet because the Navigation thing is sort of a "filler" for the page. If you take it out the index page looks very bare.

Well, if having a repulsive site is justified by buying a few video games a month... then more power to you.

I've already given you specific ideas about the index. So what if the news ss already in RSS? If you have to resort to filler information, then what's the point? Have the site point to your favorite article page, then!

There's plenty you can do to keep interest. Such as..

...Wait, aren't you the one that's providing the content? Everyone else is doing the other work for you. I thought _you_ were the content guy, right?

I'm glad someone pointed out the code... it was giving me fits. But what is to be expected of Dreamweaver...?

Since you already treat this as a money-making project... why don't you start thinking of it as one? Think about your visitors as customers and your content as the product. What keeps visitors? What gathers interest? How can you maintain interest? What do visitors like and want to see?

This would make everything much easier for you...

inimicus,

That fact that you say that its a "moneymaking" project makes me very mad. Long time pcwiz users may recall that the site never had any ads until about less than a year ago when I was suggested to try Google AdSense!! And the video game thing was just an example. I'm saving to build a new hackint0sh. Is that so bad? And you call the site "repulsive" just because it has ads? Most non-personal sites nowadays do have ads (including InsanelyMac)! My site is not bloated with ads, just 2 banner ads a page.

I NEVER EVER think of my users as "customers". I am not a cheap business-man OK? IT IS NOT A "moneymaking" PROJECT!! Users are free to use the site and use as they please. All the content is FREE to view and use for a reason.

Please never ever say something like this again without knowing what you are saying. It makes people more outraged than you think. It seems that you are insulting just because there are ads on pages.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Back to actual business (no, inimicus, not money making business :P). I still need suggestions for the header and index content. Any ideas skyhighmac? I need actual specific ideas because I an running out. You don't have to give me the wording for the index content, just a slightly more specific idea.

And the code skyhighmac did is CLEAN. That code thing like in the software section that cbmkgd pointed out is probably because I didn't retype it, just cut and pasted.

I typed my last response quickly... some things appear to be misinterpreted. Allow me to try again.

======================

Well, if having a site with ads that don't fit in (see: eye-sores, white-on-black) is justified by buying a few video games a month... then more power to you.

[The best ads are ads that visitors don't notice. Yes, some are text only ads... but it's often that a white banner will come up on the black page. Ouch. Undeniably ugly.]

I've already given you specific ideas about the index. So what if the news is already in RSS? If you have to resort to filler information, then what's the point? Have the site point to your favorite article page, then!

[There's actual SPECIFIC ideas for you... NEWS. FEATURED ARTICLES.]

There's plenty you can do to keep interest. Such as..

...Wait, aren't you the one that's providing the content? Everyone else is doing the other work for you. I thought _you_ were the content guy, right? [Right???]

I'm glad someone pointed out the code... it was giving me fits. But what is to be expected of Dreamweaver...?

Since you already treat this as a resource to bring in money... why don't you start thinking of it as one? Think about your visitors as visitors and your content as the content. What keeps visitors? What gathers interest? How can you maintain interest? What do visitors like and want to see?

[Repeated for emphasis: What keeps visitors? What gathers interest? How can you maintain interest? What do visitors like and want to see? This is the most important part of a web-site... Answer these questions and your look, feel, and function will be already pre-defined! Stuck on something? Think about this. And there's your answer.]

This would make everything much easier for you...

=====================

Not sure why this got you so uptight. Probably still does, too. But that's okay. Talk to any other long-time web designer and they'll tell you the same things.

Such as: No, this source is not clean. I'm not sure which one you're looking at, but the one that I pull from my browser is anything but clean. But that's okay -- as long as it doesn't affect the way the page is displayed -- fine.

I admit my words can be harsh at times. I don't beat around the bush. I'm not teaching third graders -- we're all adults, we can handle it. But the things I say are said for a reason. Chances are I have the experience to justify them. One way or another, I am trying to help. Just think... if I never replied, you'd probably still be using that Windows 98 Legacy site.

No doubt that you have contributed a lot but I will keep the ads. Meanwhile, skyhighmac is making a Header banner so we can see how that turns out.

EDIT: And don't be so quick to say that we're ALL adults :)

inimicus,

Do you know how to make like a news feed thing on the index page (like new discoveries, tech news, etc.) that grabs all its data from the RSS channel?

RSS works fine here on Firefox. I've tested it with IE and it doesn't work so browsers that don't support RSS won't be able to view it.

P.S. skyhighmac,

Read the email reply I sent you about the G5 case header banner.

What links? Don't see any links :censored2:

P.S. Sorry for asking you again but how are you doing with the header banner? If its too much work, I can do it myself but could you send me a copy of the Myriad font because I can't find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Myriad is a commercial font by Adobe. Not Freeware :P

Also look at some of the errors the w3 validator coughed up: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...ine&group=0

Intresting look but not at all appealing. IMHO it is too dull and boring. If you want inspiration check out: http://www.cssremix.com/

Also maybe try blending colors with one color scheme. If you can't think of one then http://kuler.adobe.com is a excellent resource

Just my honest opinion.