How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD

rathalos

174 posts in this topic

I finally got Leopard. I tried so many different methods (my MBP didn't like my DL-DVD although it was burnt successfully) and finally what I did was the following: I took the original Leopard image, used Carbon Copy Cloner, de-selected everything unneeded, so I could squeeze it to my 4GB USB stick, then I rebooted from the USB stick - the Leopard installer started. I fired up Disk Utility, formatted one of the partitions of my external HDD, then I quit the Leopard Installer to boot back into Tiger, where started the Disk Utility once again. I selected the Restore button, selected my Leopard image again and restored it to the newly formatted partition of my external HDD. Then I chose to boot from this partition and finally I could install Leopard! I also burned a SL-DVD, but either it doesn't work or I was not patient enough since I waited for a while for the Installer to launch, but after about ten minutes with the Spinning Ball I decided to give it up. I guess it should also work for thos who haven't a spare partition or an external HDD if they strip down Leopard to fit on a USB stick of at least 4GB (although I don't really know which components can be left out for the installation to install properly).

• 2 weeks later...

Edit again: I did try to install from an external harddrive (firewire), but it still fails. I made a new post about it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79010

I'm trying to do this with an iBook G4 running Panther (10.3). I did the steps mentioned, since the iBook only has a combo drive, I have to burn it on my PC. I've tried converting the final image (I tried restoring the equivalent of burn.sparseimage to both a 

new sparseimage, like it says in the guide, and to a dmg) to iso using the hdiutil convert command, and I also tried with Converso!, and then transfer it to my PC and burn it using ImgBurn.

However, the iBook can't boot from the DVD. I get the confused folder icon, or whatever you want to call it. Disk Utility claims the DVD is bootable though:

leopardlm6.th.png

Any suggestions how to solve this problem? Since it's a PPC Mac, it can't boot from a USB HDD, otherwise I would do that. I don't have a FW enclousure.

Could it be Panther's Disk Utility that's the problem, or maybe the conversion from sparseimage/dmg to iso?

Edit: Hmm, my message keeps getting messed up. Letters disappear and line breaks get inserted randomly. I hope it's still readable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ONLY FOR MAC USERS

What you need

1. Original Leopard developers seed (.dmg)(6.55Gb)

2. One blank DVD (+1 backup blank just in case you screw up)

3. Mac OS X 10.4.X Tiger (This is important, cos leopard screws up disc burning)

4. 6.55Gb+6.55Gb+4.7Gb=17.8Gb of harddisc space

Method

1. Mount the Original Leopard DMG (jus double click u idiot!!)

2. Open Disc Utility (under Applications -> Utilities)

3. Click on New Image (at the top u fool!!)

4. Name the image as dump (save on desktop!!)

5. Put the type as sparse image

6. Put the size as DL-DVD (8Gb), and click create

7. Mount dump.sparse

8. In disc utility, select the dump image (on left side) and click the restore tab

9. Drag the mounted Mac OS X Install DVD to the Restore from field

10. Drag the mounted dump (on left side) to the Restore to field (or equivalent)

11. Click Restore and wait.. (have some patience... ZEN...)

12. Once that is done, open up the dump mounted image

13. Remove the Developers Tools (xcode folder) under Optional Installs

14. Use finder's Go to Folder option and navigate to /Volumes/dump/System

15. Go to Installation -> Packages

16. Proceed to remove anything that has Printer in it (u can always get from vendors)

17. Proceed to remove all languages that you do not need (except for asianlanguagessupport)

18. Verify in Disc Utility on the size of your dump (should be 4.3Gb or less)

19. Return to Disc Utility

20. Click on New Image

21. Name the image as burn (save on desktop!!)

22. Put the type as sparse image

23. Put the size as SL-DVD(4.7Gb), and click create

24. Select the burn image and click the restore tab

25. Drag the mounted dump (on left side) to the Restore from field

26. Drag the mounted burn (on left side) to the Restore to field (dont mix up!!!)

27. Click Restore and wait.. (have some patience... ZEN...)

28. Once its done, burn it to DVD (in Tiger, not leopard)

29. Shut down computer

30. Restart computer (pressing C after power) - It will take some time to load the dvd (15 ou 20 mts)

I try to follow the step where it says click dump image in disk utillity and hit restore tab. Ok i do this and add the Mac OS X Install DVD to the restore source part put it wont let me pick a destination and the restore button is not clickable??? please help me. :)

ok... i got it... i just had a blonde moment. sorry. i dont usually have those.

• 4 weeks later...

Followed the jist of the instructions, but used Burn instead of disk utility (works fine). I booted this on a Dual 2.0ghz G5 and the boot time was over 5 minutes, during which the fans were full blast for an extended amount of time. Booted fine, the fans made me feel sketchy about the process; although thats more than likely unrelated to the Disc.

• 1 month later...

Alright, it worked for me. Had to lock the burn.sparseimage through Right-Clicking it on desktop, Get Info, and hit Locked. Then I burned from Disk Utility, and it worked like OMG UBER MAJIC

Btw, I'm new, and I hope you guys don't think I'm a leecher, because this community is great, and I hope to get involved!

Hello,

With help from this exact same thread last October, I was able to install 10.5 using a SL disc on my G5 Tower.

Now, after a complete reformat (and an upgraded DVD reader/burner), I can't re-install the system using the SAME disc!

Any ideas why?

Loa

P.S. Yes, I did wait at the gray apple, for an hour and 30 minutes. No avail.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, is this developer edition any different from the one released officially? i mean the original CD, and will i be able to update and all just like a normal leopard CD?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Here's a short and quick foolproof guide to making a SL-DVD leopard install disc for 9a559... And this method works across the board for all other builds also..

What you need

1. Original Leopard developers seed (.dmg)(6.55Gb)

2. One blank DVD (+1 backup blank just in case you screw up)

3. Mac OS X 10.4.X Tiger (This is important, cos leopard screws up disc burning)

4. 6.55Gb+6.55Gb+4.7Gb=17.8Gb of harddisc space

Method

1. Mount the Original Leopard DMG (jus double click u idiot!!)

2. Open Disc Utility (under Applications -> Utilities)

3. Click on New Image (at the top u fool!!)

4. Name the image as dump (save on desktop!!)

5. Put the type as sparse image

6. Put the size as DL-DVD (8Gb), and click create

7. Mount dump.sparse

8. In disc utility, select the dump image and click the restore tab

9. Drag the mounted Mac OS X Install DVD to the Restore from field

I dont know, if i did anything wrong, but couldn't go on to the next step. post-147577-1214646518_thumb.png

i couldn't grt anything to the destenation place.

(10. Drag the mounted dump to the Restore to field (or equivalent)

• 4 months later...

Dear Leopard DVD hackers,

I've tried following the instructions using both carbon copy cloner and Apple's disk utility, and at first it looks like it is going to work. I make sure that the correct files and folders are blessed and burn my single layer leopard dvd (the source is a regular retail leopard dvd). Also I edit the one mpkg file ( I forget the name ) to allow the install to work regardless of the speed of the mac.

The problem is, when I try to boot to the DVD, all I get is an apple logo, and it sits there for hours. If I try booting directly using open firmware (boot cd:,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX) I get an apple logo for a little while and then a circle with a \ through it.

I'm booting to a powerbook ti DVI 800. Any ideas?

Thanks,

gft

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I couldn't deselect the languages in custom option during install...

seem like my system need all of those languages to be upgraded

my last disk i have burn i keep all languages , except some like Russian ,I did removed

:wacko:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Same here, could not uncheck all the languages. Deleted all languages to make room for XCode Tools, which now includes 500 Mb of Documentation pkgs. In order to use Upgrade Install, could try editing the new disc volume by deleting just the XCode Docs first, x11, and the languages not currently installed on your Mac (main Lib/Receipts).

Erase and Install is what I usually do. Excellent opportunity to add/change partition(s) and clear out junk files from uninstalled programs, and then only reinstall programs actually used in last 3 years.

If create 'CD/DVD Master' = .cdr image, can simply rename it .iso and use a Windows PC to do the burning.

Alternate method if unfamiliar with Disk Utility 'Restore'

1. convert Leopard dmg to read/write.

2. mount the new dmg.

3. edit it down to 4.35 Gb maximum. burn any of pkgs could need later.

4. select File/New/Disc image from folder then select mounted volume.

5. Prompted for destination and ....

6. create cd/dvd master = .cdr --

7. enter Admin password to create image.

8. rename it .iso if will use PC to burn disc.

• 1 month later...
Alternate method if unfamiliar with Disk Utility 'Restore'

1. convert Leopard dmg to read/write.

2. mount the new dmg.

3. edit it down to 4.35 Gb maximum. burn any of pkgs could need later.

4. select File/New/'Disc image from folder' then select mounted volume.

5. Prompted for destination and ....

6. create DISC IMAGE -read only (.dmg) or cd/dvd master (.cdr)

7. enter Admin password to create image.

8. rename .cdr to .iso if will use PC to burn disc.

Point of all of above if you now have a DVD-DL burner: I heard they are very unreliable in duplicating Mac OS X DVD-DL installers - Apple Corp. has no problem with that.

In order to Install as an Upgrade:

Here is easy safe way to delete languages: 1. simply SEARCH for 'Italian' or 'Danish', etc. A long list of folders will appear. Every single folder select enclosing folder (Resources) then delete all languages except 'English.lproj'. Should take about 2 hours, but nothing is deleted you do not decide to delete.

2. Another way is to search for '.lproj' and then delete all but English.

Every delete in System/Library requires entering password.

3. Another way is to use Monolingual app, BUT ABSOLUTELY MUST SET PREFERENCES FIRST. Prefs set whether to delete all G5 files, etc.

This will eliminate those unwanted languages under Options and then can upgrade Tiger to Leopard.