XxX_OSX86 10.4.10 Install DVD

BJMoose

223 posts in this topic

The Green Dem... has another pretty good 10.4.10 installer. I downloaded it yesterday and installed it on my system. It's really very well planned out. It's similar to the older installs in that it is just OSX86 and no extra freebies to install. So you might want to copy some of your favorite free apps from your present installation before you install this. Lots of patch kexts for most of the popular scenarios today. I checked the CS3 patch and was able to install both CS3 and FCS2 successfully.

Rosetta works fine for MS Office and Eudora and no problems with the keychain that I could tell. It was a very smooth install.

I only kept it on my system for a short while because I'm happy with my JaS and Kalyway images. I'm really going to try to put Kalyway through its paces because I like the idea of it using a later kernel. Kalyway cuts several seconds off my boot up time and for some reason it just 'feels' better. However, this version may work for some who had problems with the newer kernel in Kalyway.

dont see it on demon, any hints of what the file name is like ? :-?

The filename is almost exactly what is in the title here. Go to the torrent list, select Applications and Macintosh from the drop down lists. Hit the apply filters button, and scroll down to Friday Sept. 14th. If you can't find it there then you are blind.

My vote goes to this release for now. The Kalyway seems ok at first but problems with the keychain drove me nuts, altho it is resolved already. Some programs wont run on the Kalyway with 8.10.3 like VMware fusion and having problems with restart. Reverting to an older 8.9.1 kernel solved some problems.

The XxX version seems solid enough, everything runs ok so far. I miss Kalyways implemetation of growl tho.

My vote goes to this release for now. The Kalyway seems ok at first but problems with the keychain drove me nuts, altho it is resolved already. Some programs wont run on the Kalyway with 8.10.3 like VMware fusion and having problems with restart. Reverting to an older 8.9.1 kernel solved some problems.

The XxX version seems solid enough, everything runs ok so far. I miss Kalyways implemetation of growl tho.

Good that you find my relase usefull!

Thanks for the feedback. Is good for (if there is) a future relase.

Just a note.

You must install one of the Loginwindow.app included patches together with the CS3 patch otherwise AboutThisMac window will crash...

Hi, What are your system specs (see my sig for example)? I did not have this problem with my setup.

Hi, What are your system specs (see my sig for example)? I did not have this problem with my setup.

I tryed on a P4 prescott + 865g + fx5200.

I actually applied the CS3 patch after the main installation. It broked the AboutThisMac window (cos install another version of SMBIOS kext I guess). But after patching the Loginwindow.app everything went back to normal.

I tried this version and this is what I found:

I tried this install with the new kernel (8.10.3) and had problems booting. The problem is the system.kext is corrupt. So I gave up.

In the end, I did the manual upgrade from 10.4.7 to 10.4.10 where I copy the kernel over before rebooting after the update. I took the previous 10.4.10 system.kext which was setup for 8.10.1 and renamed all the data in the files from 8.10.1 to 8.10.3.

If you don't run a matching kernel/system.kext you won't be able to mount dmgs. Probably other problems too.

Everything is working and I'll have to say that this is the best 10.4.10 version using the 8.10.3 kernel.

The only thing which isn't working is the reboot, but that is a kernel thing..

I'm going to stick with this version until we get the source and run the recompiled version.

Thanks

-Greg

Hi All....I have not had any luck with any of the instal discs beyond Jas 10.4.8

I tried Uphuck's 1.4i and had no luck at all.....installed then it gave me the com.apple.plist error on reboot.

This one did the same thing untill I tried the Master Boot Record option in partitioning....I did not partition....just used the MBR option in it.

Anyhow it now boots....but I cannot get networking to work. Jas 10.4.8 just worked!

Any ideas on what to try with the ethernet controller?

Lastly, I am having trouble with the sound.....I am able to make output work, but i was hoping that the onboard ALC 883 6 channel audio would work. I tried the Skippy Retard ALC installer in the drivers section.....and had no luck. Installing Azalea gives me sound out. The SkippyRetard HD ALC 883 HD drivers do nothing.

Otherwise this is a great installer! Thanks to whoever made the disc!

I run Windows XP off of an external HD when needed.

My Hackintosh:

E4500 2.2GHz Core2Duo

ECS 945GZT-M Motherboard (GMA950 Video/ALC883 6-Channel HD Audio/RTL8100C 10/100 NIC Card)

1GB DDR2 RAM

160GB IDE HD

I tried this version and this is what I found:

I tried this install with the new kernel (8.10.3) and had problems booting. The problem is the system.kext is corrupt. So I gave up.

Some people has succeeded installing the 8.10.3 pack.

Did you check your image with the MD5 checksum? it might be that your image got corrupted during the download.

Anyway I'll re-test it here.....

EDIT: 8.10.3 SYSTEM KEXT IS CORRUPTED. THANX SWAG01.

I'll make a ppf in the next couple of days to fix it

Some people has succeeded installing the 8.10.3 pack.

Did you check your image with the MD5 checksum? it might be that your image got corrupted during the download.

Anyway I'll re-test it here.....

EDIT: 8.10.3 SYSTEM KEXT IS CORRUPTED. THANX SWAG01.

I'll make a ppf in the next couple of days to fix it

Yes, I downloaded the same one from the IRC and tried to use it too. I noticed that in one of the files it has a bunch of garbage characters. I looked at the one which was installed on the system and it was a normal text character.

It could be people installed with the old system.kext; however, they won't be able to mount dmg's if they do this.

Well, it appears to be working once I took the 8.10.1 system.kext and renumbered the text in all the files to 8.10.3.

I don't know if I'll see other problems by doing this, but the system is pretty stable.

Thanks

-Greg

yes, it support SSE2 with the 8.9.1 kernel.

Have you posted your PPF patch for kernel 8.10.3 yet? i grabbed your rls and am waiting for the 8.10.3 kernel fix so i can use the 8.10.3 kerenl.

if u do, please post to let us know :D thanks for your work. Nicely done