Possible Nforce 3 UDMA Fix

148 posts in this topic

What seemed to work for me:

I opened up the package contents of the IOATAFamily.kext linked to previously in this post, and pulled out only the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext package. I put that into the IOATAFamily.kext package that is already in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Then I ran:

sudo chown -R root:wheel IOATAFamily.kext to make sure that every file in that package was on the same page. It seems to be booting fairly reliably now.

I did this also and it seems to be working. I can now boot with out the -F flag and UDMA seems to be working altho this drive is so old i only score about 20mb writes with it ;) still better than the 5mb I was getting before this. Only I didn't use the Terminal I used Xray instead, I have use windows to Long and am not comfortable with cmd lines anymore ;(

I have a MSI KN8 Neo2 Platinum(Nforce3 250gb, I think could be the ultra not sure)

Xbench Score = 62.44

What seemed to work for me:

I opened up the package contents of the IOATAFamily.kext linked to previously in this post, and pulled out only the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext package. I put that into the IOATAFamily.kext package that is already in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Then I ran:

sudo chown -R root:wheel IOATAFamily.kext to make sure that every file in that package was on the same page. It seems to be booting fairly reliably now.

That seems to have worked for me, too. Although i didn't xbench it yet. Nor did i reboot for a second time.

Edit: It booted three or four times. Then it wouldn't start any more. Don't know wether this was a problem with MacOS or some strange problem with my PC. I lost two partitions on my primary HD between MacOS-Reboots and have spent some hours now on restoring them with testdisk. I think i'm gonna take a break from OSX86 now. I nearly lost some 120 GB of data. Including some important files. Of course the last backup was >4 months ago...

I have shutdown and booted the computer 5 or 6 times now, (all without the -f flag too). Everything seems to be running smooth. (I haven't "rebooted' it once because it still hangs on a restart from within OS X)

If platform=ACPI restart doesn't work on all only shutdown, and if platform=X86PC shutdown doesn't work only restart, kind of weird.

im trying to get this to work on my nforce4 how do i get into the part to type in { 0x01bc10de, 5, "NVIDIA nForce" },

{ 0x006510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce2" },

{ 0x00d510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce3" },

and also how do i compile ive installed xcode but don't know how to open the kext what files do u open?

or could someone post their nforce4 driver that they compiled,thx

so i've done that tried to compile it, put my hardware ids in used all the files on this forum and it still says permission errors when i try kextload and also it still uses the generic instead of onboardpcata kext

You have to edit the Info.plist file too. Just add your pci address into the Nvidia nforce section. And dont forget to set ALL FILES IN THE DIRECTORY permissions to 755, chmod to root:wheel and delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.cache so the system reloads all extensions on boot.

P.S: you need some basic unix skills to do anything in macosx since its an unix operating system.

Okay, I have OSX running on a DFI LanParty nF3 250Gb and I am trying to get this installed, but I'm having trouble finding the correct Info.plist I need to add my device ID to. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

AndyMS,

I've got the same DFI LanParty nF3 250Gb board like you and a spare 80 GB IDE Maxtor only for Mac OS (my Win XP is running on a SATA 120 GB drive).

Are you sucessfully working with this patch? If you do, please send me the file! This is the only fix I could'n manage to do it yet. I've got audio finally working, network (with a spare cheap Realtek card) and everyting else, but I still need to boost my HD.

I got it to work, I keep forgetting that you have to delete the Extension.kextcache & Extensions.mkext (which I NEVER thought to do so everytime I rebooted OSX, I had to load my audio.kext, thankfully I don't have to do that anymore lol)>.<

I should put OSx86 on my SATA raptor, the drive I use is kinda old, so I'm only getting 50 average across the boards.....but that's ALOT better than the 3.xx I use to get.

All we need now is a working Nvidia driver

I got it to work, I keep forgetting that you have to delete the Extension.kextcache & Extensions.mkext (which I NEVER thought to do so everytime I rebooted OSX, I had to load my audio.kext, thankfully I don't have to do that anymore lol)>.<

I should put OSx86 on my SATA raptor, the drive I use is kinda old, so I'm only getting 50 average across the boards.....but that's ALOT better than the 3.xx I use to get.

All we need now is a working Nvidia driver

Great for you.

I'm still trying to fix this on my nForce 3 250GB. Is there anyone who could teatch me how to do in a easy way? :P

How do you tell whether your drive is running in UDMA mode or not, other than using benchmarks? I'm currently running on a very slow drive from an original iMac, so benchmarks aren't going to be a reliable way of telling.

MSI Neo2 Platinum (Nforce 3)

It still would be a effective way to tell, if you're only getting 3MB/s, you're not running in UDMA, as even those old HD have times of 15MB/s.

Drive Type QUANTUM FIREBALL CX13.6A

Disk Test 12.80

Sequential 14.13

Uncached Write 11.75 7.22 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 12.36 6.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 22.42 6.56 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 13.79 6.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 11.70

Uncached Write 4.05 0.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 22.33 7.15 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 58.77 0.42 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 30.09 5.58 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I am not running an nforce 3 chipset but i thought i would post a bench of my hard disk to give ppl something to test against.Im using intel I865 chipset motherboard

Results 53.74

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.1 (8B1025)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type Maxtor 6E040L0

Disk Test 53.74

Sequential 99.81

Uncached Write 88.71 54.46 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 95.17 53.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 108.33 31.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 110.29 55.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 36.77

Uncached Write 13.40 1.42 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 77.36 24.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 77.87 0.55 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 119.09 22.10 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Hi all

I have an Asus K8N Motherboard with nForce3 250 on it.

I want to enable UDMA but I don't wanna end up with a "still waiting..." message cause i'm not really experimented with mac kext stuff and all.

Is there a safe way of doing it?

Could someone post a small howto guide?

Thanks.