Resolution Independence

Ayanami

33 posts in this topic

I can't find it myself. It's supposed to make items on the screen a different size (so it appears as though you have a higher resolution).

I can't find it myself. It's supposed to make items on the screen a different size (so it appears as though you have a higher resolution).

I think you mean a lower resolution. The idea is that when you run a high resolution display , say a 2560X1600, the icons are the same size as on a lower resolution, say a 1440X900. Same with text in menus which can become tiny and hard to read.

If it goes that way instead of what Ramm said, I'll be very, VERY dissapointed

It is more or less what Ramm said. It allows an element to look the same size even if the resolution of the screen is much bigger.

Which allows you to have a high-density screen without having all the stuff super-tiny.

It is more or less what Ramm said. It allows an element to look the same size even if the resolution of the screen is much bigger.

Which allows you to have a high-density screen without having all the stuff super-tiny.

Primarily its a universal access thing, its lets people have large elements on the screen for easier use without sacrificing fidelity of relying on specific resolutions. It also allows you to have properly sized elements on screens with higher pixel densities, or even smaller elements if you feel like having more desktop space.

It can be used without installing Xcode, there are some terminal commands you can use, but I can't seem to find them. Its pretty glitchy at the moment, lots of stuff looks poor quality.

Primarily its a universal access thing, its lets people have large elements on the screen for easier use without sacrificing fidelity of relying on specific resolutions. It also allows you to have properly sized elements on screens with higher pixel densities, or even smaller elements if you feel like having more desktop space.

It can be used without installing Xcode, there are some terminal commands you can use, but I can't seem to find them. Its pretty glitchy at the moment, lots of stuff looks poor quality.

If you wouldn't mind sending me some info on that.....That'd really make my day.

PM or AIM - Ayanamizer00

If you wouldn't mind sending me some info on that.....That'd really make my day.

PM or AIM - Ayanamizer00

I can't for the life of me find the site anymore - and I didn't have the forethought to note the commands down I'm afraid. Its a HItoolbox command if I recall correctly, the command followed by the number you want to multiply the scale by, which can be a decimal. I'm gonna keep digging around and if I find it I'll post it up here.

Embio: damnit! you're more Northern that I am!

EDIT: found it:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 2

would give you twice the usual size. Watch out using sizes that are too small, as Suzuka notes below it can cause problems getting back to usual as you cant click anything right.. if you want to go smaller go smaller in increments, 0.9, then 0.8, etc.

Its glitchy as hell, but in some ways its pretty cool. Ive got my 15" MBP running at scale factor 0.85 at the moment, and its a much more fitting size.

PS, log out and in again after doing it.

EDITED to get rid of the 0.5 value...

I can't for the life of me find the site anymore - and I didn't have the forethought to note the commands down I'm afraid. Its a HItoolbox command if I recall correctly, the command followed by the number you want to multiply the scale by, which can be a decimal. I'm gonna keep digging around and if I find it I'll post it up here.

Embio: damnit! you're more Northern that I am!

EDIT: found it:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.5

would give you a scale of 0.5. Its glitchy as hell, but in some ways its pretty cool. Ive got my 15" MBP running at scale factor 0.85 at the moment, and its a much more fitting size.

PS, log out and in again after doing it.

please change that value...I just set it to 0.5 >.< that was hard to get out of

could have potential...look forward to final release of leopard and all that it might hold, should be light years ahead of vista even though released later (like the iphone is generations ahead of current smartphones)

Well, I fooled around with it for a bit, and tried to go back to normal.

I now have no more Finder bar. It is replaced by a white box where the menu used to be.

=( =( =(

Any ideas?

Yeah....How do I revert back? Time Machine didn't help me, and nothing is rendering right.....Please tell me there's some kind of something to use as a default

EDIT:

Ok, so I tried using display prefs. to change the real resolution, and it's not helping. It's really the Finder and Camino that are trashed beyond use, but Dashboard and Time Machine aren't rendering correctly, and System Prefs. barely comes out right at all.

Obvious next question, here is my answer;

No, I do not have a copy of the leopard install disk, nor do I have a backup of the disk image. My files and such are backed up, but nothing with the OS.

Obvious third question, here is my answer;

No, Time Machine is not changing anything.

Yeah....How do I revert back? Time Machine didn't help me, and nothing is rendering right.....Please tell me there's some kind of something to use as a default

EDIT:

Ok, so I tried using display prefs. to change the real resolution, and it's not helping. It's really the Finder and Camino that are trashed beyond use, but Dashboard and Time Machine aren't rendering correctly, and System Prefs. barely comes out right at all.

Obvious next question, here is my answer;

No, I do not have a copy of the leopard install disk, nor do I have a backup of the disk image. My files and such are backed up, but nothing with the OS.

Obvious third question, here is my answer;

No, Time Machine is not changing anything.

I bet making your signature image smaller will help ;)

If you have a problem with someone's signature, PM them about it. Don't make a public attack/joke out of it.

Ayanami, try completely killing Finder after setting the DPI to 72 and the scale factor to 1.0. Do this by typing in killall Finder in Terminal.