apparently the iphone isn't worth your hard earned $600

62 posts in this topic

i spent $500 on my iphone and i think it is well spent money, it is something i am now constantly using and it makes everything easier.

because of it i know do not have to carry my laptop around with me like i did before. so for me, the $500 spent on it was well spent and it is getting put to use every single day.

actually, i wouldn't have a (monetary) problem buying an iphone if i wanted to go to a store right now and get one. I simply don't see it as a cost effective investment right now. perhaps in the future, it will be, like the way the ipod turned out. but, IMO, the level of technology + the list of current features don't come to the level of industry standards in some areas (mostly the 3g and phone "broadband" areas, the substandard camera, but flash mem cost ratio as well) ...put those things together and the iphone just doesn't strike me as being worth the money... especially given their history of slipping in new hardware/features every 6 months or so, while keeping the same price

cuz, face it, apple doesn't do price drops unless something is failing miserably

Agreed. I can't buy one now, but I wouldn't if I COULD. Why? To me the feature set is far less than what it should be in my opinion and to be an office on the go type of smartphone, lacking a keyboard hurts it for all that money.

While I agree that many makers will definately try to copy the physical characteristics of the iPhone, much like the amount of Razr like phones out now...I doubt that anyone will be able ot replicate the inside of the iPhone...inside meaning the operating system. Windows Mobile 6 and Symbian OS cannot even come close to OS X on the iPhone. However, that being said, there are those individuals who go for the looks and nothing more...so I guess the iPhone will be a loss there. But for the people who look past skin deep, I honestly doubt they would settle for anything less than the iPhone (provided they've seen one and played with it).

For me, the true "wow" factor comes from the way in which the operating system is designed, the GUI, the ease of use, etc. Physical characteristics are only secondary, albeit still important. :huh:

umm the iphone looks just like a pda. and i've already seen similar phones.

exactly. :huh:

:huh: fanboys (not aimed at anyone... i just cant stand apple fanboys, theyre so annoying! actually... on second thought all fanboys are =] not just apple ones.)

In defense of Apple, the $260 price isn't the entire cost. They must also pay for these things:

1. Marketing

2. Development

3. Support

The cost of these three things put together is probably almost as much as the $260 is costs to make.

And if you buy something right when it comes out, everyone knows you're going to be paying more than it's worth.

On the outside, probably so. On the inside, I highly doubt it. :(

I think 260$ is too low, like other people have said once you factor in R&D and marketing the price increases. However, I do think $600 is high, at least for what you get. In a couple years the iPhone will be a much smarter buy. Long term the iPhone is good for the mobile market, other companies will be sure to come out with competitors which will cause the iPhone and its opponents to have to get better and better.

A page ago the point was brought up that Apple products are overpriced. It all depends:

Mac Laptops: Perfectly priced, compare an identical laptop from Dell or HP.

Mac Mini: There arent many direct competitors, but for around $800 you can get a much better PC. (I realize the mini starts at $600)

iMac: waayyy overpriced, price to performance ratio is awful on every single model. You can get a Dell or HP with better hardware for cheaper.

Mac Pro: pretty decent prices, you cant get a 3.0 Clovertown anywhere else anyway. RAM prices for it suck, and it really could use better vid card options.

iPod (all models): Great prices.

AppleTV: Biggest waste of cash ever, your iPod video can do the same thing with $40 worth of cables. (not in 720p though) An Xbox360 Elite+Wireless Upgrade can do everything the AppleTV does, and play DVD's and games. (mind you its more expensive than an Apple TV)

Cinema Display: Depends, personally I would buy a Dell or Toshiba, but I can see why people purchase them. If I was going to pay that much I would probably pay more and get an EIZO though.

Sorry the above price roundup was late and maybe unnessecery, but it sums up my feelings on Apples prices.

Do you guys think that a price of a product is only about the company´s profit? It´s not.

A product (Iphone for example) is not for everyone. Mont Blanc is not for everyone. And so on...

In many cases the company DO NOT WANT to sell for everyone. It´s strategic. Read Philip Kotler or Michale Porter a bit.

In many cases the company DO NOT WANT to sell for everyone. It´s strategic. Read Philip Kotler or Michale Porter a bit.

yes, but at the same time the person who said theyre aming for 1% marketshare is crazy..... they want as much as possible, yet they want an product "image" of the elite.... which they will gain through product placement, promotions with celebritys.... advertisment

and then theyll create hype and a constant desire for teh product

or so they hope....

they dont not want to sell it to someone though, because thats lost $ at the same time :wacko:

they want 100% of possible buyers to buy..... or as close to there as possible (100% is impossible in this world as it is not a perfect world)

yes, but at the same time the person who said theyre aming for 1% marketshare is crazy..... they want as much as possible, yet they want an product "image" of the elite.... which they will gain through product placement, promotions with celebritys.... advertisment

and then theyll create hype and a constant desire for teh product

or so they hope....

they dont not want to sell it to someone though, because thats lost $ at the same time :wacko:

they want 100% of possible buyers to buy..... or as close to there as possible (100% is impossible in this world as it is not a perfect world)

In the end...it's still better to under promise and over deliver....rather than over promise and under deliver. :)

You have to count in all the money they have spent in designing this gadget, and hypes, ads, stock market brokers, and so on and on, the list will be very long.

Anyway, you don't buy it, somebody else will buy it. SJ and Apple clearly knows that when they make imac, ipod, iphone.

Take it easy! This is life!

Well some rumor sites reporting cheaper NANO phone, still, would like to see 3G, and still yet, its an amazing product.

I can't believe the people who are saying "it's overpriced because I just need a phone for talking." That's the same as saying "anything that costs more than a Kia Rio is overpriced because I just need a car for driving." Just because something is more than you are willing to pay, it doesn't mean it costs more than it should. I personally have no need for an iPhone, and don't care for my phones to have anything more than the ability to make and receive calls, but I understand that what I want isn't necessarily what others want.

I'm going to beat the dead horse a bit and say that retail products cost much more than the components to manufacture them. I have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I recently decided I might try to sell some cookies. I calculated that it would cost me $1.49 in ingredients to make a dozen cookies, but if I sold them at that price, I'd be losing a lot of money. If I want to pay myself for the labor to make them, I'd have to raise the price to $3.49 (and that's only $12 an hour - nothing ridiculous). Someone might see my price and say "that's crazy. It shouldn't cost more than $2 a dozen if it only costs $1.50 to make," but if I charged that, I'd only be paying myself $3 an hour! It's the same for Apple. They have to pay the employees, cover the costs of any materials used in development, and new hardware/machines they had to buy in order to develop it, and pay power bills, etc.

btw, after figuring out how much I'd have to sell the cookies for, I've decided I probably won't bother doing it. lol