apparently the iphone isn't worth your hard earned $600

62 posts in this topic

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07...50_percent.html

yea, you read right.. it only costs apple about $260 to build an 8gb iphone...

i dunno about you all, but i'm seriously pissed off by this information

thank you apple, for ripping off another genre of consumers

I never understood this argument.

That's the price - if you don't want it don't buy it. Don't {censored}.

They reinvest money into R&D so they can develop products such as this.

You have to count in all the money they have spent in designing this gadget, and hypes, ads, stock market brokers, and so on and on, the list will be very long.

Anyway, you don't buy it, somebody else will buy it. SJ and Apple clearly knows that when they make imac, ipod, iphone.

Take it easy! This is life!

i dunno about you all, but i'm seriously pissed off by this information

thank you apple, for ripping off another genre of consumers

How is this remarkably different from any "new" product released?

As an example, I'm pretty sure when DVD burners came out and I bought my Sony drive it didn't cost $450 in parts and labour to make.

How is this remarkably different from any "new" product released?

As an example, I'm pretty sure when DVD burners came out and I bought my Sony drive it didn't cost $450 in parts and labour to make.

The flaw with that reasoning is that now DVD burners are about 60 dollars. That will not happen with the iPhone.

they arent trying to sell more - they're only looking for 1% of the market

they are trying to make a quality product with hype that a select amount of people will buy, a corvette among normal chevys

HAAHHAHAHAHHA, no, this is for markup for profit........ its not a corvette... unless corvettes have crappy engines (phone guts) and some frills to try and draw your attention away from it.

its standard apple, "we wanna make way more profit than you!"

they have the highest markup in the industry.

:thumbsup_anim: a quality product, if its anything like my 5 ipods.... its {censored}! (although that scroll wheel keeps me coming back for more.... and no i never dropped em, got em wet etc.)

and dark4181, they will offer those memory sizes, but theyll charge even more :hysterical:

& no company would go "we wanna only sell to 1% of the market....." thats stupid buisness practice, if thats the case i feel bad for all you 'tards that bought apple stock haha "we only want to sell this product to very fiew people...." NO ONE says that..... because the more people you sell it to the more $ you make, theyre just marking it up because its "apple" just like a bmw or mercedies (but those actually are nicer..... unlike this hunk) theyre banking that their stupid adds and shiny looking phone to distract you from the price tag......

these are just my views, dont flame, discuss... cause this post could be a spark, im debating weather or not to delete it :s

The flaw with that reasoning is that now DVD burners are about 60 dollars. That will not happen with the iPhone.

That doesn't mean it is flawed just because in the example I used it was such a dramatic difference and the iPhone won't be that dramatic.

It will drop in price, the amount like any other product will depend on 2 things: if it continues to sell and what kind of alternate products enter the market.

(Sorry, but even though smart phones may have similar features, interface wise there is no direct competitor yet.)

Back to our example: Had Sony been the only company producing burnable DVDs, although the price would have dropped, they would have be much more expensive with a higher markup also. So this isn't unique to the iPhone and is the generally the same for products without competitors. Its just more fun to {censored} because we want it cheaper.

(Unless you are an Apple shareholder, why would anyone care if they can sell 30% more but at 40% less profit.)

(Don't say market share = more 3rd party apps, etc, don't buy that argument for this type of product. Not the same as a full OS)

Bottom line is you have a choice, don't buy it. If it is overpriced and people don't buy it the price will drop to match the market demand.

Edit: Lets not forget that article ignores expenses not directly related to the equipment: advertising, support, continued development, legal fees, etc.

^all business is about profit, first and foremost. customer satisfaction is of secondary importance

and iphone price will never drop. what will happen is the same thing that happens with all apple products: they'll wait for component prices to drop and slip in hardware upgrades at the exact same pricepoint that'll allow them to maintain the same level of profit-to-build

it just pisses me off, cuz more $ is going into apple's pocket than the phone's hardware. ridiculous

it just pisses me off, cuz more $ is going into apple's pocket than the phone's hardware. ridiculous

Don't buy it and problem solved, no money for Apple.

Repeat after me: "Serenity now, serenity now".

It's 1 of a hundred phone products, why would you let 1 {censored} you off so much. ridiculous. :P:thumbsup_anim:

Do you really think that anything you buy cost the manufacturer that much? The pants you are wearing cost about $2 to make. How much did you pay for them? More then that, I bet. If manufacturers didn't charge more then the cost to manufacture, they would all be out of business real fast.

Do you really think that anything you buy cost the manufacturer that much? The pants you are wearing cost about $2 to make. How much did you pay for them? More then that, I bet. If manufacturers didn't charge more then the cost to manufacture, they would all be out of business real fast.

Of course that is true but it is more fun to {censored} if we don't have the $599 right now to buy one. :wacko:

And how dare you compare clothing made in sweat shops by kids to Apple making money.

Apple over charging and making more profit is much a worse crime we should all be appalled at. :D

Guest Ramm
It´s not only about profit, my friend.

Very elaborative. Last time I checked, making and selling a product was about making a profit.

Very elaborative. Last time I checked, making and selling a product was about making a profit.

not always - it could all be about 1 uping a rival.... for instance.. Sony really doesnt make much a profit off of a PS3 but they made it to try and 1up mircosofts X-box 360

not always - it could all be about 1 uping a rival.... for instance.. Sony really doesnt make much a profit off of a PS3 but they made it to try and 1up mircosofts X-box 360

Pretty sure Sony's goal in making the PS3 wasn't just to one up Microsoft.

All the profits are in the licensing of games, not in the consoles.

Yeah, Apple you thieves! Hey, better hassle Bugatti while you're at it, I'm sure their 1.1 million dollar veyron can't be worth more than a quarter of that in components!What a retarded argument. It's called supply & demand. Read a book.

I've sold products for a loss solely to drive a competitor out of business...
Isn't capitalism grand...</sarcasm>

And how dare you compare clothing made in sweat shops by kids to Apple making money.

how dare you compare iphones made in sweatshops by little kids to pants.

it says right on the back "designed in cali, made in china"

:-p

who gives a flying {censored} where it was designed! is that like trying to distract you from it being built in red china?

& SteveNZ, ironically the bugatti costs MORE to build and sell than they are charging.... so your wrong, theyre just using it for "image" (the parent company of bugatti vw)

"After the release of the car, it has been reported that while each Veyron is being sold for £840,000, the production costs of the car are approximately £5 million per vehicle."

so dont try and save your precious apple with bugatti :P

and jgrimes80, but in selling it for a loss you were banking on making a profit, see, in the end it all ends up about more profit, like you could make more profit by driving the others out of buisness then marking the prices back up to whatever you want