482 replies to this topic

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
thanks riws for the suggestions.
I tried to modify atiradeonx1000.kext but i did not do the sudo kext.cache part and i did not modify neither the atindrv nor the ga plugin (like borisbadenov method says) ... who knows if that's the right trick.
Mal

Ryan BG

Ryan BG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I know this topic is old, but I figured out a few things and have a couple of fresh ideas. I did some research and found out that the ATI X200m IGP uses 32MB dedicated memory and 96MB shared, utilizing UMA. Possibly, by modifying one of the drivers, (9700,x1000), and only using 32MB of the dedicated memory, it wouldn't use UMA, allowing you to have the functionality of the driver, but with the downfall of only having 32MB of memory. On my laptop, I have the option of changing the UMA from 32-128MB. I haven't tested this yet but I thought I would propose it.

Ryan

anurup

anurup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Could this mean anything? Or have the coders on this forum already decided that support is not possible because of the way the Mac OSX is constructed?

http://www.phoronix....i...m=826&num=1

(Talks about ATI (AMD) releasing open source support)

This post from the forums should probably be here too.

http://forum.insanel...;hl=xpress 200m

jackrayers

jackrayers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry to fill up this thread with pointless stuff, but, I was just wondering whether development for this card is continuing, as me and many others would love to see it done.
All the best,
Jack
p.s - feel free to abuse me for clogging up this thread :wacko:

bigfootlin

bigfootlin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
waiting....

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts
Is there any developer here trying to make a driver for the Radeon?
I know many useful information but I am alone and want to tell with other good programmers.
Shared memory not a problem. We need to set in driver 9700
mov eax,[esi+0x854]
mov edx,[eax+0x15c]
mov [eax+0x148],edx
continue discussion?

JoNNy

JoNNy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

mov eax,[esi+0x854]
mov edx,[eax+0x15c]
mov [eax+0x148],edx
continue discussion?

If you may... i'll try to help.

how can this set of movs help us?

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

If you may... i'll try to help.

how can this set of movs help us?

Only for programmers with assembler skill.

JoNNy

JoNNy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Only for programmers with assembler skill.

my assembler is skill is a bit rusty, haven't used it for quite some time. but still can help, 2 people are better than 1.

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts
Wow :angel:
I really want to work on the problem with you because I have approximatly the same Radeon IGP but 9000. As I already know the difference in some chip registers while common registers are the same. I am alone working on the problem during three months and stay at the advanced stage. I need to take counsel with programmers but nobody here...except you?
What I know:
1. How to make a patch (at assembler level) for Radeon9700.kext to successfully loaded for any card.
2. How to obtain hardwareOpenGL but for me it crashes :rolleyes:
I dunno why.
I cannot create AGP driver for my IGP bus, probably because of kirky patched driver.
May be you find a solution?

Start point
download http://hte.sf.net, compile it for MacOSX. I am successful. I make patches with it.
this is hexeditor/disassembler for intel code.
Open Radeon9700.kext/Contents/ATIRadeon9700...

to be continued...

JoNNy

JoNNy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Start point
download http://hte.sf.net, compile it for MacOSX. I am successful. I make patches with it.
this is hexeditor/disassembler for intel code.
Open Radeon9700.kext/Contents/ATIRadeon9700...

to be continued...

this disassembler is very strange. in disasm mode just converts everything it finds to intel x86 assembly, doesn't look for .code segment, doesn't handle relocations and sagment base addresses, just treats whole file as a binary executable code. i've found Machonist, which also can edit assembly code and create patches, but can also display jumppoints, function calls and some other info

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

this disassembler is very strange. in disasm mode just converts everything it finds to intel x86 assembly, doesn't look for .code segment, doesn't handle relocations and sagment base addresses, just treats whole file as a binary executable code. i've found Machonist, which also can edit assembly code and create patches, but can also display jumppoints, function calls and some other info

Ok! I shall try it. And I have IDA pro that can convert binary to asm text with symbolic names and codes relocation.

GoldenChaos

GoldenChaos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Honest to God - if somebody can actually succeed in writing working drivers for 200M I shall kiss the ground at their feet. I'm only posting to encourage you guys to continue looking into this. I see several people have, and I wish them luck and let them know that they've got my support.

Although I'm a little curious what "mostly working" meant in the very first post of this thread so long ago.

I know this might sound strange, but... well, a lot of people come here! One of them must have a connection to an Apple developer or is an Apple developer. If you could find that person, this project might make a giant leap forward - at least in terms of understanding how a potential driver can be written. The flip side of that is having somebody from ATI/AMD who knows about the Linux and Windows drivers extensively. I realize finding these types of people might be a task bigger than making the drivers, and I certainly don't mean to undermine the developers going after this project - but you've got to agree, those people would be our best bet, right?

G'luck to all ye willing.

professor falken

professor falken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I need a 200 driver so bad.

speaking of which, what happened here: http://forum.insanel...php/t15571.html

EDIT: I've found that at one point "Callisto build 001 Alpha" drivers were doing the rounds? does anyone have them? the main site is down.

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts
2 JoNNy
Next step. Take a text of Radeon9700 with my comments. Find its by key "//Slice"
Probably you need only to make this patch into real kext (by means of, for example, hte).
First, try to boot without GA.plugin i.e. 2D only.
If successful - with it.
Successful or no - report here.

Attached Files

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

EDIT: I've found that at one point "Callisto build 001 Alpha" drivers were doing the rounds? does anyone have them? the main site is down.

Forget!

Machonist is PowerPC only, as well as HexEdit. The HT is only i386 dissass. (&IDA pro) And both in terminal modes

Is there anybody going my way?

Attached Files

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts
I have great advance with my Radeon9000IGP. So it is a good way for 200M too.
Why nobody wants to do this for Radeon 200?

willowhaven

willowhaven

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Go to this post http://forum.insanel...o...c=38842&hl=. It gave me the ability to view my screen at it's full capabilities. It did not enable QE or CI, but it now detects the video card as a Radeon XPress 200M, which is a HUGE improvement. Props to the creator of this great script!!

Jennifer

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Go to this post http://forum.insanel...o...c=38842&hl=. It gave me the ability to view my screen at it's full capabilities. It did not enable QE or CI, but it now detects the video card as a Radeon XPress 200M, which is a HUGE improvement. Props to the creator of this great script!!

Jennifer

I need to explain.
It is not problem for me to write a kext that write a model name into system profiler. For example
http://forum.insanel...t...st&id=17809
More complex task is a Framebuffer driver that permit us to switch resolution and refresh rates.
They (Callisto, ATINDRV, RadeonFB) are the replacement for IONDRVFramebuffer
But I tell about Accelerator driver such as ATIRadeon9700.kext. Look into its info.plist ;) .
It is needed to get QE/CI, hardwareOpenGL and DVDPlayback.

dasepsilon

dasepsilon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
Slice, not that i can be of any help since i don't really have the time to develop
a driver, but still i'd be interested in learning how graphics driver under osx86
are developed. can you pinpoint some docs that help? i suppose the usual docs
for developing kernelexts are helpful?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy