Question for those with AppleTV hacked to run OSX

phil a meant

12 posts in this topic

I know that this is a BRAND NEW hack which allows the Full Version of OS X to run on Apple TV, but I have a question. For those who have tried this, is it possible to connect with other OSX clients on your network? If so, can you play a Video_TS folder in DVD Player on the Apple TV? Also, can you output Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DTS) through the optical output like you can on the Mac Mini? I know that out-of-the-box the Apple TV doesn't support 5.1 yet, but it seems like this would work.

Anyone game to try it out and report back? If this is possible, I will DEFINATELY be buying the Apple TV in the near future :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

This is really the one thing I'm most interested in, being able to upload all my backuped DVD's in video_ts files to the appleTV would solve my media center woes without having to put a full desktop next to my plasma. anyone actually able to do this without speculating??? THANKS!

I will check this tonight if someone else doesn't beat me to it, are you interested in VLC audio out or DVD Player specifically?

I was only able to connect wirelessly and I didn't have any other machines on the wireless network when I had the aTV booted. Ethernet apparently is not supported, at least it was dimmed on my aTV.

I tried this and DVD Player won't run (no DVD drive, quits) VLC or system finds no audio device on my aTV, so I must not have the boot drive set up with the appropriate plist and/or kext. If someone can fill me in on how to do this I will gladly retest. I did put a D-Link G600 Wireless Network Storage device on the network and had no difficulty mounting the share and copying files, etc.

Hi, wouldn't it best not to hack the AppleTV but iTunes or Quicktime and anable them to play DVD'S. If someone can write a Script or a Plugin for iTunes that enables the app to import VIDEO_TS Folders and store them in the Moivies section all our Problems would be solved. No opening of the AppleTV , no loosing warrenty etc. I would do this by my own but i 'm not skilled enough. I would even pay for such a Plugin. Addin 5.1 would male the AppleTV the best media center ever. Maybe someone can do this???

Hi, wouldn't it best not to hack the AppleTV but iTunes or Quicktime and anable them to play DVD'S. If someone can write a Script or a Plugin for iTunes that enables the app to import VIDEO_TS Folders and store them in the Moivies section all our Problems would be solved. No opening of the AppleTV , no loosing warrenty etc. I would do this by my own but i 'm not skilled enough. I would even pay for such a Plugin. Addin 5.1 would male the AppleTV the best media center ever. Maybe someone can do this???

The problem is that Quicktime does not currently support true 5.1 (inherently), and I think that is the point of the originator of the post.

I've got to imagine (and this is obviously speculation) that with the increasing demand for HD video, 5.1 sound intergrated into quicktime must be around the corner. You can't expect people to watch 1080i video with weak audio to go with it, that doesn't make sense. I expect change is around the corner and all we can do is be patient unless someone cares to basically do apple's work for them and rewrite quicktime.

I also have questions concerning OSX on aTV...

- can you shut down aTV with osx?

- how does it perform on TV screens with hdmi or component, perhaps also on non-widescreens?

- does audio and wireless (seems likeit does..but out of the box?) work?

sorry for the rough style ;)

I also have questions concerning OSX on aTV...

- can you shut down aTV with osx?

- how does it perform on TV screens with hdmi or component, perhaps also on non-widescreens?

- does audio and wireless (seems likeit does..but out of the box?) work?

sorry for the rough style :star_smile:

jodo

1. Shutdown--yes, you can shutdown, although my box seems to "hang" on the blue screen, not powering off but it does "shut down" the USB chain so that I can safely remove the external drive which I use to boot. It does successfully restart.

2. HDMI--I have my aTV connected via HDMI to a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 and haven't had any difficulties except the ordinary HDMI weirdness of having to be certain the monitor is on first, which is made harder because the aTV is always on unless you pull the cord (really Apple, would it have killed you to include a power button on this thing?) I have also used component to the same, no problems at all. I haven't tried a non-widescreen and I believe the resolution is "locked down" in the kernel that's available. The awkward wiki is currently testing a patch which activates QE, etc. awkward wiki.

3. Audio/Wireless--built-in audio is not yet working as far as I am aware, wireless networking does work flawlessly. Ethernet requires a patch which I haven't tried yet but it is reported to work. I haven't tried an external USB-based audio set, that's an idea!