• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Cleverboy

Cleverboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok. I just have one request. Could someone mount a network drive, rename the AppleTV media folder, and create a symbolic link in its place... that points to the network drive? I'd like to confirm the possibility of putting in a startup script that switches the Apple TV's media folder between the network drive and its local drive, depending on availability (or even if it can't "auto-detect/switch"). I can see going a step further, and perhaps making TV Shows & Podcasts go to one network share, and Movies and Music to another just using symbolic links.

I know iTunes doesn't know the difference between a symbolic link and a "real" folder, so Apple TV shouldn't either. Doing that, and guaging performance over the network would be very informative. I don't have an Apple TV yet, so I can't test this myself. Everyone's spending time getting web browsers running, but I'd really just like to see network drive access from INSIDE of the Apple TV Frontrow application. I wouldn't really be concerned about upgrading the internal HD, if this isn't a problem. Thanks. :(

joneSi

joneSi

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ok, so as a mac nerd, I'll be buying one to work with my hackintosh. However, at this point this thing is (to me) a waste of space because of a lack of 5.1 sound. Everything else about it is rockin'. But with that part of the box disabled, it seems to me that it is crippled.

Regardless, I will buy one and hope and pray that they enable it (it seems as if the hardware supports it...) or that somebody can make it work. I'd love to replace my DVD player.

joneSi

Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Insanely Around Sometimes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
Just flicking through the application support, I found one or two interesting files...

There is a file for Mozilla. Why would there be Mozilla app support files on it?
There is also an app for diagnostics, can't open it however, as it is Intel only.

Also, there is a Developer folder, much like the one made when you install Xcode etc on a normal Mac.

And, of course, there is the "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext"

T u r b o

T u r b o

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
OK so I picked up an AppleTV today and started messing around with it.

I've gotten some stuff accomplished that I haven't seen documented anywhere so I stuck them on a web page here

I have the ARD VNC server working fine, but the replacement Finder.app application doesn't accept any keyboard or mouse input.
I can run other applications, but my primary goal is using it for playing back DVDs and HD MPEG2, so I'll be working towards that.

I was about to document getting the ARD VNC server working, but it looks like someone over at the awkwardtv.org wiki has just done that.

Next up is USB keyboard/mouse.

- Turbo

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Just flicking through the application support, I found one or two interesting files...

There is a file for Mozilla. Why would there be Mozilla app support files on it?
There is also an app for diagnostics, can't open it however, as it is Intel only.

Also, there is a Developer folder, much like the one made when you install Xcode etc on a normal Mac.

And, of course, there is the "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext"

the only thing in the developer's folder is the QTKit.pallete :(

Lostgame

Lostgame

Lostgame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Programming, game design, OSX, music design, photo editing, movie making.<br /><br /...

It does not.

It does too...

system/library/coreservices/Finder.app?

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts
It's not a finder in the normal sense though. That's essentially just the aTV GUI. And it acts different than a normal finder, especially with regards to required frameworks. That's speaking from experience...it won't load on my osx86 box without loading the backrow frameworks/libraries first. Which I'm not entirely sure how to do anyways.

HeavyMetaler

HeavyMetaler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Can't wait to get Apache and torrentflux working

GoodOmens

GoodOmens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Apache is already running on the atv.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
can anyone confirm there is no mach_kernel on the appletv? that *is* bizarre.

random thoughts:

- portions of the apple tv os might be useful to sse2 owners

- if i could run appletv os on a hackintosh htpc, that would be killer-sweet

- if i could turn an appletv into a dual-purpose appletv / airport extreme, that too would be killer-sweet

more as i think of em ;)

Yaniv

Yaniv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
could be great to add the support for EyeTV hybrid :P i very small USB stick that do the tv tuner and so ;) ... what a nice dream

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Check this out from Anandtech!

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2951

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2952

Keep watching its news update!!! :P ;)

gr8whtd0pe

gr8whtd0pe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
maybe this is just a look into the future of 10.5. maybe you apple has gotten smart and listened to our cries and have made osx pc friendly? since the atv supports sse2 maybe 10.5 will too. :2cents:

CoolBits

CoolBits

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

maybe this is just a look into the future of 10.5. maybe you apple has gotten smart and listened to our cries and have made osx pc friendly? since the atv supports sse2 maybe 10.5 will too. :2cents:

I very much doubt it as new cpus have sse4 and most of todays have sse3, they will not make sse2 only system for sure...

BulldogPO

BulldogPO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm, this nvidia GF GO 7300 inside may led us to working drivers for other geforce graphic cards :unsure:

joneSi

joneSi

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
OK, so in the wiki section of awkwardtv there is a part talking about .vob files playing in VLC with 5.1 sound, though there isn't an explanation of how to do so. I'm not sure how to get VLC up and going, and therefore I don't have a clue, I didn't see anything pointing to it on the wiki.

I suppose it would be nice to wait for the menu hacks (sabretooth) to add something that would allow the launch of VLC and make it look good.

For those that have seen me bitching here [sorry] I want my 5.1 sound. I want it now :). I'll be willing to dig around and try what I must to get this working...by either using VLC and playing the .vob files, or trying new solutions in iTunes. I will be able to guinea pig myself as soon as I have it plugged into my TV, which BTW, it arrived today...Ordered Monday, express shipping ($10 from apple), left China yesterday, arrived at my door today (FED EX ROCKS!!!!) I'll go and start playing after my calc class tonight. I'll have it apart by tomorrow night.

I was thinking that the codec pack linked on the awkwardtv page would be a good place to start, seeing as how it has the AC3 codec... thoughts?

joneSi

bxsci(macuser)

bxsci(macuser)

Insane in the Bronx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
is it possible to got BIOS emulation on the mobo because then you could run a pen drive linux such as slax on it

also - could anybody get an external dvd drive to run through the USB?

jackie113

jackie113

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Say youve downloaded Cars from iTunes. Instead of watching it on your computer, wirelessly sync the flick to Apple TV.Then pull up a seat, put up your feet, and play your movie on TV. Give yourself a hand: Youve just changed theway you watch digital media.

www.mp4-converter.net/apple-tv-converter/

R3ap3R

R3ap3R

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This was a big bag of fail

cart16

cart16

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
has jackie read any of this thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy