[How-To] ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI on 10.4.8/10.4.10

largo

140 posts in this topic

To get this working with an AGP 9600 PRO 256mg (device id = 4150) and a CRT monitor:

1. Apply largos patch

2. Acquire Callisto_b008

3. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

4. Follow instructions included with Callisto_b008 (the main part is correcting the EDID section in Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist so it matches your monitor EDID)

5. Profit.

post-8461-1174785034_thumb.png

I have 10.4.7 SSE2 installed but since i cant make Trackpad and Keyboard work on that build i´ve installed 10.4.3 which gave me the back the KB and TPad, but... What do i have to update from de 10.4.7 package to make the driver work? openGL frameworks? Kexts?

Thacks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I have problems with mp4 (h264) Videos and for example the Apple TV Frontend, it's just a few colorful lines. The sound of the videos works good.

At first I thought it had to be a problem with codecs, but now I think it has probably something to do with the graphic card / driver, because other Videos with XVID, DivX are working properly. QE and CI are also fully supported.

Does anybody has the same problem or a solution?

My machine:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

ATI Radeon x300 - 256MB Hyper Memory, 128MB VRAM

OSX 10.4.8

WOW! It worked for me too! I have an ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 with id 0x4e50, and this method got QE, CI, and resolution changing working for me in under 2 minutes! :thumbsdown_anim: Largo, thanks hugely for taking the time to figure this one out, and for getting everything together in one tar file.

My system:

Asus Z80K notebook (same as A2K)

AMD Athlon XP 64 3200+

ATI Radeon Mobility 9700

using JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 ppfv1 patched (perhaps badly) with Defiant.diskutil.7 and bikedude880.ichXr (for use with a different computer)

Now, I did try several things beforehand, like z0rz's ATI script, which I had used to change the resolution. So I didn't apply it to a pristine system and it doesn't work perfectly; when I start up, the login screen appears at 1024x786 but only takes up 2/3 of the upper lefthand corner, and various things I do to Boot.plist don't really change that. Also I do get mouse tearing, and at my monitor's maximum resolution, 1400x1050, moving windows around results in noise within the window. But I will read up on that and try it on a fresh install as well.

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

HI, my system ASUS M6B17 with ati 9700 agp mobility,

Tried AGPGart 2.2 et callisto 8 : it freezes

then tried "largo's method on a new installation"

but at the last line of codes ,

tar xvfz Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

I get this when i "enter"

tar(child): error is not recoverable : exiting now

tar : Child returned status 2

tar ; error exist delayed from previous error

any clue would be welcome... been ages since trying and trying to get a nice resolution (1280*800 would be so nice) and watching a dvd would be great

thanks

hi

well after nights of rebooting and reinstallation... it worked

largo's codes..

I removed the desktop & it worked.....great

but dvd playing is still lagging... even though QE & CI enabled!!!

what to do next ??

thanks again folks... and cheers to largo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! The Largo's solution works well (thank you very much!! ;-) ) on my Sony Vaio A217S (Mobility Radeon 9700 with 32MB vRam, device id 4e50), but i can't see any video. Quicktime doesn't work, VLC, DivX... i can't see anything with video or hardware acceleration (as screensavers). What can i do, or where is the failure??

Note: when installing, i need to delete the ati kexts manually, and opengl framebuffers, but some of these files (opengl framebuffers), can't be deleted, because the system show me the error message "file is in use, cannot be raplaced"... it can be the problem. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Largo's solution worked for me too. :thumbsup_anim: I have an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO AGP 256MB card; device id 4150 installed on 10.4.8 with QE/CI support at 1680x1050x32@60hz on a Dell 2007WFP LCD monitor (via DVI connection). I did have to alter it slightly though. Here is a step by step on what I did.

1. Installed JaS 10.4.8 clean install.

2. Downloaded the file specified in his post. Link to file

3. I already knew the root password so I skipped that step.

3. The file I downloaded from the link specified in Largo's post did not have the .gz extension so I had to modify the file name in the move statement and remove the "z" switch from the tar statement. Executed the following modified code:

su
*entered root password*
rm -rf /System/Libary/Extensions/ATI*
rm -rf /System/Libary/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
rm /System/Libary/Extensions.*
mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar /
cd /
tar xvf Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar

4. Next, I had to modify the Info.plist file to include my device id (4150). Edited this file and replaced 4e50 with 4150.

vi /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5. Rebooted and everything worked!

I get occasional artifacts but I am willing to live with those until a solution comes along (if ever) that eliminates them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Notebook nc8000 is still not working.

I have followed the instructions you are speaking about. But the result is:

I can change my resolution, that is OK, but I am allowed only to change to 800x600, 640x480, and of course 1024x768.

This is not a problem because the max resolution of the notebook internal LCD is 1024x768.

But I can not change the resolution above 1024x768 when I boot with external monitor.

It would be good to change 1280x1024 when I use external monitor... :P

Have you got any idea what could be the problem?

THX!

• 2 weeks later...
largo your advice was fantastic. I have a 128MB Mobility 9600 (4e50) in my HP compaq nc8000 laptop and using your method I have native resolution, QE and CI support running under JaS 10.4.8.

HOWEVER, I experience garbage when scrolling in a Finder window on the native resolution (which is the rather uncommon 1400 x 1050). On lower resolutions I have absolutely no problems, but the contents of Finder windows become garbage when I scroll

Nonetheless, thank you for your walkthrough and for including your drivers.

To solve this problem, all you have to do is press F9 (functional key 9) to bring all windows into view and press it again to go back. You'll magically find the garbage is gone when you're scrolling or moving windows on the desktop. I found this out by accident. Any new window created after this will have the garbled stuff, so just do the above and all shall be sweet.

My current setup:

Pentium M 1.8ghz

1gb ram

Mobility Radeon 9700 @ 1400x1050

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Largo's solution worked for me too. ;) I have an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO AGP 256MB card; device id 4150 installed on 10.4.8 with QE/CI support at 1680x1050x32@60hz on a Dell 2007WFP LCD monitor (via DVI connection). I did have to alter it slightly though. Here is a step by step on what I did.

1. Installed JaS 10.4.8 clean install.

2. Downloaded the file specified in his post. Link to file

3. I already knew the root password so I skipped that step.

3. The file I downloaded from the link specified in Largo's post did not have the .gz extension so I had to modify the file name in the move statement and remove the "z" switch from the tar statement. Executed the following modified code:

su
*entered root password*
rm -rf /System/Libary/Extensions/ATI*
rm -rf /System/Libary/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar /
cd /
tar xvf Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar

4. Next, I had to modify the Info.plist file to include my device id (4150). Edited this file and replaced 4e50 with 4150.

vi /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5. Rebooted and everything worked!

I get occasional artifacts but I am willing to live with those until a solution comes along (if ever) that eliminates them.

hello guys!!!

i´m absolutely new to this game.

thx to all of you, 'cause you helped me with nearly each post.

back to the topic:

i did it the way gpallen1 instructed because i had the same problem with the downloaded file.

what i had to change was the code!!!

the last step had "Desktop" included, which never worked on my system and i had to re-re-re-re-re-reinstall the whole thing again.

i was searching on the forum and found out what all the commands are for (i already mentioned that i´m a noob)

so i realized it couldn´t work that way, because the previous command moves the file to the (i assume) root directory.

so if you got the same problem, just enter the last line like this:

tar xvf 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar

it worked for me.

keep ya headz up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Largo, you are the DUDE!!!

Okay, I know that was REALLY CORNY, but I am so jazzed (maybe JaSed) about getting this to work.

I just put 10.4.7 with the JaS update to 10.4.8 on my Sony Vaio VGN A270 with a Mobility Radeon 9700. Then, I added the "Largo Solution"

It worked! Well, I don't get the native 1920x1200 that it's supposed to get, but I never used that res anyway. Before Largo - Tearing, artifacts, and 1024x768. After Largo - 1440x900, and the tearing is gone!

Thanks for the solution, and keep up the good work!

Hello,

I dlded Largo´s file yesterday and after doing the console´s thing my system won´t reboot. so I reinstalled. Now I want to dld again and rapidshare said I had to wait 3 hours (or buy a ticket...) I waited and it gives me error each time. The coolest was when it was saying wait 1 minute and I refreshed 1 minute later and it said I had to wait 11 minutes... I hate those guys an really don´t want to buy their sh*t. Is it possible to dld from another place?

regards

Dld solved.

But can´t get it to work. I can run the patch, but the best I get is no change except that I loose QE and CI. The only gain is the card being recognized as AGP. I also tried Callisto b008 but I can´t edit the Plist monitor´s hexadecimal code. For some reason I always get an error about the code in the Plist editor. I´ve tried as is (very similar to the Callisto b008 instructions) and with the same format as the one that already is in the plist. with and without <> and with and without spaces at beggining and at the end. also tried Callisto c008 with no results at all (always editing them to 4150 wich sometimes is not necessary). Also I don´t get why the guide has the "Libary" errata all the time...isn´t supposed to be "Library"?

-

My system: ATI Radeon 9600 pro (4150). PIV 2,66 4gb MSI Neo2 875 (socket 478).

I´d like to know wich systems are the ones that work with 4150...AMD?

regards

...last report if somebody cares:

after sucessfully patched the system with Largo´s file I get no results except the system sees my card as AGP (it saw it as PCI before patching) and loose QE and CI wich were running by default in JaS 10.4.8. (I have JaS 10.4.5 and the 3 updates...not a !0.4.8 install, but these were clean installs). Truth is I get resolutions in the preference Panel, but the moment I touch them I lost my monitor and using arrows keys don´t take me back to the old one. Following Callisto´s instructions the problem should be solved by changing the way Callistos calculate resolutions in the plist from false to true, but that line doesn´t exist in Largo´s Callisto.

Aplying Callisto b008 replacing Largo´s Callisto gives me a crash when reboot. I have to boot as single user and delete the Callisto and CallistoHAL kext. The system comes back to lie after that. It happens with Callisto files modified with my card´s model number (4150) and with the monitor numbers following Callisto´s instructions to the letter. The same happens with unmodified Callisto b008 and have the same results with Callisto c008.

My last try will be to reinstall and apply Callisto c008 alone and see what happens.

It´s pretty frustrating to have a great machine that installs in a snap and performs very well in the tests but it´s only 1200x768 resolution. I can live with 1440 but I´d prefer 1600 due to my Big LCD... I think a solution can be Largo´s Callisto with that missing line in the plist... but I have no real idea how these things work. Just an empirical observation..:(

I figure it´s cheaper to buy a real Mac...In fact if I use all the time I spent faking this thing gardening for my neighbours I can get a money pretty close to the price...LOL

Just want to point out that there's a typo on the code when you're installing it.

rm -rf /System/Lirbary/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz /

cd /

Also wanted to point out is that this works with uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i on Ati Mobility Radeon FireGL T2 (9600 based card), with tearing effects.

Under 10.4.9, the gz file will be automatically unzipped to .tar file, and move to trash.

Since I'm new to MAC (2days), so I have no idea how to change the command to install it right, what I did was move the original .gz file to root, which is \

and used the following code:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

cd /

Other steps are not changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, this driver still works very well with 10.4.10 (XxX release). I also fixed the little typos alloy wrote above and the error with the incorrect path I had written.

Keep on enjoying this folks - and just for those that thought that it just 'stated' supported but it actually wasn't - It really works, everything is accelerated here.

It does come with mouse-tearing though - is there any fix for that as of today?

Take care!

Your driver don't work good on my thinkpad T42 (id 0x4e50; vendor 0x1002; rev 0x0000). Sniff...

CoreImage and QuarzExtreme are not supported...

Resolutions are aviable but the picture makes strange distortion if You move a window. After moveing a window, the windows content seems like a frozzen out of sync CRT - and the T42 has an LCD :-)