OS X coming to PCs...What the hell?

sHARD>>

143 posts in this topic

You are not taking into consideration that the MacMini is SMALL though.

if you want small PCs there are many small form factors out there that use standard components. i don't have this particular model, but is this small enough.

http://us.shuttle.com/Gallery/X200Gallery/ActualView.html

if you want even smaller you can go with itx based computers. there are many choices for pc users.

Edited by noespam

Alright guys stop starting rumors or Belieiving them, OS X will NEVER Come to Beige boxes.

Why?

Well for a couple of simple reasons, Apple understands the fact that People who make hardware and software for each other will work better, thats why OSX is so kick ass.

Secondly, it forces most people (99.99%) of the world to buy Apple Hardware, which is also built very well.

Apple makes money doing this.

It would be harder for them, and less effective to market on Beige boxes.

Alright guys stop starting rumors or Belieiving them, OS X will NEVER Come to Beige boxes.

Why?

Well for a couple of simple reasons, Apple understands the fact that People who make hardware and software for each other will work better, thats why OSX is so kick ass.

Secondly, it forces most people (99.99%) of the world to buy Apple Hardware, which is also built very well.

Apple makes money doing this.

It would be harder for them, and less effective to market on Beige boxes.

If apple ever expect to the break the 10% marketshare mark (they are currently at about 4%), they will need to sell thier OS on the beige boxes.

If apple ever expect to the break the 10% marketshare mark (they are currently at about 4%), they will need to sell thier OS on the beige boxes.

Hardly. Apple doesn't care about beige boxes. Apple doesn't really care about computers anymore. It's all about consumer devices now. Handhelds, portability. Eventually hard drives will be replaced by flash memory. The line between an OS and a device will blur until you cannot separate them. You can't build your own iPhone, and similarly you won't be able to just build your Apple-compatable machine in the future.

Being PC compatible is a temporary situation that stems from the x86 work already pioneered by Intel. But as we've seen, Intel and Apple have little interest in spending a lot of time in this situation. They are moving forward and leaving "Windows compatibility" behind.

Sorta, Apple cares a lot about there computer market, its only a matter of time before it explodes, I live in the middle of po-dunk Idaho, for years I heard about how Mac sucks but a bunch of Windows loving morons.

Thats starting to change, everyday it seems as if someone is either looking at or buying a Mac around here.

People have begun to relize how well built Apple Hardware is, it's not just the OS its the Hardware. Hell its both.

Its only a matter of time before Windows falls to #2 Weather it's dominated by OS X or Linux, and I think the downfall begins with Vista.

Its only a matter of time before Windows falls to #2 Weather it's dominated by OS X or Linux, and I think the downfall begins with Vista.

Oh help. The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

The fact that you call windows users morons, shows your absolute and complete Bias for Apple.

All hail Steve Jobs.

whatever.

....The fact that you call windows users morons, shows your absolute and complete Bias for Apple.

All hail Steve Jobs.

whatever.

LMAO :) With all due respect, I think it is absolutely hilarious that you would knock anybody for being biased ! You are the most biased forum poster that ever lived! I've seen your posts on Gearslutz for years and I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about Apple or Pro Tools EVER. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're a bad guy or anything, quite the contrary you seem to be otherwise really intelligent, nuf respect. Just thought it was funny that you, the anti Apple/Pro Tools crusader, would knock somebody for being biased, thats all.

As for the moron thing, I think that was a bit much. I don't think anybody is a moron for using or preferring one platform to another. It's like a lumberjack looking at a carpenter and then calling him a moron for using a sander. It's just pointless.

Anyways, enough with the off topic stuff. Rock on everybody :gun:

You are the most biased forum poster that ever lived! I've seen your posts on Gearslutz for years and I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about Apple or Pro Tools EVER.

True. However I've never said anyhtign specifiaclly great abotu windows either. Both are the same to me.

it's liek comapring 2 toasters. They both make toast. Does the toast taste any different form any 2 machines?

No.

As far as Pro-tools goes. Not untill this last 7.3 release did it become a useable system to do proper Post mixing on.

And there are still a few small things left to be desired. And the software still ahs soem major points they need to improve on as well.

^^You're an idiot to call all windows users that, plenty of them are "Good" with computers, they can tinker with their hardware, write software, and push in overclocking. Get over the average joe impression. (These are the mac heads that I hate).

Anyone who thinks Windows is going to fall is a moron. Seriously, more than half of the market are not all going to buy Apple hardware, which, never goes on SALE, and even against PCs not for sale, is still overpriced.

Quality, I don't know, but I hear all these MBP issues, and iBooks with "Logic Board Issues". I hear it in the iMacs too. God damnit, they need a competitively priced mid ranged desktop for us with monitors, that has compareable hardware for the price to PCs at least. They do that, I'll buy one. $1200 iMac, {censored} that, my $489 Gateway With Core 2, Gig of ram, Vista, 320 GB HDD will beat the {censored} out of it. I also got with instant rebates, a 19" Widescreen monitor and a cheap printer for $30 more. Mac Mini, give me a break.

Then when this oh so asthetically beautiful iMac gets outdated, the monitor is useless.

Vista does me fine, OS X is not worth the overpriced plunge into apple hardware. (For god sake, there is no software licensing fee for Apple to Apple.), that lacks competitivity when against other PCs, which, in my experience, are more stable.

Apple releases OS X for PCs, I'll convert in a hearbeat, (although I do like Vista). Will I ever pay $1k for hardware I can get in a PC for $450 (or a $750 laptop), to convert, no. So long as Apple keeps this BS 1984 business model, they won't have me, and they won't get any higher than 15% market share AT THE MOST.

Plus, to run Windows on a Mac, that's another cost, that raises the price even more.

Edited by track09

I call them morons because they are Not very good at computers to begin with and secondly they are to Aarogant to give anything else a try I use Windows stiill, and Mac but I still think Mac is better.

How old are you?

Learn how to spell, and form a proper sentence.

Calling people morons, and not being able to even use proper punctuation is kinda funny. :P

Typing mistakes are one thing. But the above sentece tells me you're about 10 years old.

How old are you?

Learn how to spell, and form a proper sentence.

Calling people morons, and not being able to even use proper punctuation is kinda funny. :(

Typing mistakes are one thing. But the above sentece tells me you're about 10 years old.

:gun:

I am not calling Windows Users Morons I may have worded that wrong above, just the people that I have had to work with over the years.

It's just clear to me, that Mac is better than Windows.

If tomorrow MS comes out with a OS that blows OS X out of the water guess who will be first in line to get it.

ME.

I simply use what is best.

It's just clear to me, that Mac is better than Windows.

No No No, you have it all wrong. Let me rewrite what you should say.

"In my OPINION, it's clear that I PREFER Mac to Windows."

Untill you give me some kind of facts (and not your opinions on the interface and what you like better, or other's opinions), that's all you can say.

Ok for one No Viruses, Spyware, etc (well there are but seriously go out and try to find one.), for two It seems to run a lot faster, the interface is easier to use, and at last its a lot more stable.

Ok, I can run Avast home which uses almost no resources, and no virus problems, with Windows defender, I'm safe from spyware. I never scan, and never even open them, they update on their own, and realtime protection, I'm fine. I have scaned for extra measures, and nothing ever turned up. Never had any problems, I can click on givemypcavirus.com and I'll be fine.

Faster? Now I know you're off your rocker. The mach_kernel has been proven to have some very serious performance issues, and there's no way you can say it is faster than NT, because it's not. Google it and you'll see what I mean. Also worth noting, your comment about seems is exactly that, an opinion.

The interface is that again, an opinion, that's no fact. I prefer Windows myself because I think the start menu is a lot better than the Applications folder. When the applications folder gets cluttered, it becomes a disaster. I also find Explorer in general to be better in regard to functionallity. I'm not a big fan of the dock behavior either, there are sum general inconsistencies and flaws to me that make it a deal breaker. Windows is far more comfortable and productive to me in this respect. That's my OPINION, no right or wrong.

Stability is a fact, and again, you've blown it my friend. OS X crashes, it's called a kernel panic. I get just as many KPs as BSODS, which is around 1 a year, at most. NT has been proven to be more stable than 9x. Two fresh OS installs next to eachother with out any 3rd party software will reveal the same stability. Where Windows crashes most is from 3rd party apps and drivers that are poorly written. If there's a device OS X doesn't have, well you'd better google for a kext or something, but I can pop in a driver CD and install. OS X is not the god of drivers. These inconsistancies that cause Windows to crash some times is due to third party customizable hardware, (something I'd never give up). Minus that, they're the same. I'd rather have choice. Some people prefer the Apple, everything certified stance, I prefer selection, and if I want something, it's easier to get. And if you don't, don't get it, find a better alternative. The drivers on my Windows installs are all fine and I'm perfectly stable. Agian, a matter of PREFERENCE and OPINION.

Lastly, an opinion is how applications close when they crahsh. On OS X, they just disappear without warning, I like Windows allowing me to try and wait for it to recover, rather than it going away. It's saved me before, but that's my opinion as well.

To me, your posts are strinkingly similar to those of a 15 year old who just switched to OS X, and likes it, (PREFERS it), and is caught up in the moment, and now suddenly feels like bashing Windows without using proper merit in his posts.