Apple Faces Federal MONOPOLY Suit

robotskip

56 posts in this topic

I dont think the zune is a failure. The problem is, everyone already has an iPod, so why would they just ditch their already working device for the zune. They wouldnt, unless they have a lot of money to throw around and can have both. But most can't, so i think the zune will start picking up when their iPods get old and outdated. Also, i think the zune is a better device anyway. And everyone is so bent out of shape saying, "oh its so thick and clunky". Well, if you ever looked at the first gen iPods....yeah, pretty much the same thing.

apple-ipod_08_tn.jpg

zune-device.jpg

Zune isn't competing with 1st gen iPods.....

There is a large difference between posting something negative with a neutral perspective, and posting something negative with a negative perspective. You are the latter. Our views and opinions come out in how we speak/type/express ourselves, and from where I'm sitting, you need to get laid. Just saying.

No, I am basically completely neutral on this topic and the only thing where it could be said I 'take a side' is 'against' some of you who have a depressingly strange blind love for Apple and I have refuted basically all of your points (Especially those like aberracus who isn't even able to conjure up a related reply anymore). :D

'I need to get laid' - Wow, you're quite the man and that is quite a convincing argument. I believe it was MetroGirl who said people will be banned for this type of thing. I'll see if I can find the thread with the specific warning. :thumbsup_anim:

What most of you need to do is get over yourselves and try to be more neutral. I posted this topic saying because I knew it probably wouldn't be and to clear up the people on here saying Steve Jobs was cleared, I also made a couple of jokes, most notably the one about popcorn and the 'lol' because it was quite amusing that Apple, of all people, a main competitor of Microsoft and it's 'monopoly' is facing a lawsuit themself. :)

See, after posting this, being neutral [or whatever you would like to call it] I'm barraged by people calling me a 'MS lover' (Who can't back it up), people who make things up (aberracus, etc), people who provide biased, ignorant statements (aberracus, slicerdicer, etc - like saying how the Zune's DRM could be bad when Fairplay could be bad too and saying how being able to rip music which was burnt onto a CD, removing DRM, is somehow a 'benefit' of Fairplay when it's illegal and is also possible with other DRM), people who can't back things up and so on.

Stop trying to address the poster (Unless they show blatant bias/hate in I do not, all my comments based on facts, etc with little to no opinion and the only real areas I'll post an opinion about Apple related is something like preference in regards to their products/services and how they conduct themselves) and stop stooping to pathetic, unrelated attacks. Thank you. B)

If you want to turn a blind eye, block me or just avoid my threads. There are a couple of people who follow me around trolling my threads/posts with the same old rubbish and they keep on saying "LOL YAY FOR BLOCK" yet every time they see my username they jump and post something something completely useless, pathetic and unrelated. :huh:

Block me and actually do what you say (Avoid me, etc) instead of trolling. If you block me, I do not care because just stick to what you say and stay away, lost, sand and the rest of you. Well, continue posting if you want but you're just being ignored but I'm hoping one day one of you will post a constructive, useful, on-topic reply. :)

^ See, that's something many of you need to learn. Get over who the poster is and what they have previously said (I just ignore the continued antics) and until they something you deem worthy of replying, just ignore it. I don't care what rubbish many of you have posted before (Personal attacks, etc) but I won't block you because you may have something useful to say. Learn this, also learn to read the news stories correctly and stop putting such obvious bias in all your posts.

----

Fully back on topic, I really couldn't agree more. Especially after reading all the proof in this topic, I do believe this is nothing more than jealous competitors. After so many people have explained the definition of a monopoly though, I was wondering one thing: since the problem seems to be that you can't move away from the iPod once you're in iTunes (the ALLEGED problem) [ie you're locked in either way (if you wanna change software, you "can't" and if you wanna change hardware, you "can't")], couldn't Apple blatantly prove that you aren't just buying an iPod, you're buying the iPod and iTunes? I mean, it seems pretty simple, with "iPod + iTunes" all over the place that when purchasing an iPod, I am clearly getting both iPod and iTunes? Even though iTunes is freeware, it's very similar to buying a Mac with Mac OS X (hardware made for software, vice versa) or even a Dell with Windows.

What proof ? I don't believe there has been anything concrete in this thread proving their 'innocence.' It seems I've missed this proof, what was it ?? :huh:

The problem isn't that you're locked into using iTunes/iPod, well, not as you've put it (For the love of all that is good, read the news post properly instead of assuming things, hell, I even put the important parts in bold o_0) but rather that bought music is [deliberately] incompatible with other devices from competitors, shuts out competitors with the iTunes/iPod link (Which is one of the reasons people label Microsoft as having a 'monopoly'), it is purposefuly incompatible with WMA and other reasons. :o

It 'seems' most of you don't even get what this suit is about or simply haven't read it and are just trying to guess. :(

Edited by robotskip

What's to stop games from being developed w/ Open GL? Better yet, a new open-source format? Nothing, just because OTHER companies want to develop their games using Direct8/9/X hardly garners MS as a monopoly. It's no different than paying royalties for broadcasting music/movies

or for the rights to use patented technology (<- which is EXACTLY what your example is) That same right which can be denied by the owner at the discretion of the owner

There is nothing to stop them from doing it. Now if MS would say "You need to use Direct X or else something truly horrible will happen" then we have abuse of monopoly power.

*text removed to save page space*

If you have a number of people who state that they dislike the content of your posts and and even larger number of people who say they blocked you and even people asking how to block you, using your own logic, doesn't that make you want to actually take a look at your posts? Since it is almost universally agreed that your posts seem to be arrogant and attacking, and people are very vocal about it, why don't you actually do something about it?

And, of course, this has to be "educated" so it's not a "personal attack", right?

Without getting reported or having you think it's a personal attack, I would like to know why every thread you post in starts an argument and why you fell the need to be so arrogant in all your responses and why you feel the need to jump on everyones grammar

Agreed. I can't stand this guy, why I blocked him. I think he tears others down cause he doesn't like/love himself. Just an observation, not a flame.

*loves that robotskip is the only user he's ever blocked on a forum, ever*

How do you do this?

I think you're a lune. Considering you're being antagonistically protective over a device you don't even own.

Is there any chance that you're interested in running Mac OS on your PC, robotskip? That is the main goal of this site, but I've only seen you talking about Zune & Microsoft.

I am sorry if I pissed against your holy grail. Sometimes the truth is hard to take, especially for fanboys.

just a little pointer, dont call other people fanboys, when from reading your posts you seem to be a M$ fanboy yourself.

And note that these people aren't just newbies who don't know what they're talking about, they're often respectable members who've been here longer than you.

To Robotskip:

Calling people arrogrant, ignorant, moronic and calling their posts worthless and uneducated is a great way to get people to hate you. I don't know what you're on, but I wish there was a way to destroy your posts and all related ones because every time I go to this forum you seem to have found a new way to ruin it for me and others.

As for your smart-assed reply that will no doubt come, I look forward to see what else you can come up with that will be totally arrogant and blatiantly incorrect at the same time so you can at least be proved wrong, and hell, if you don't reply, all the better for this forum.

To all the other people on this forum: The thing above was something I wanted out in public, not over a PM, as I am trying to see if others really do feel this way or if I'm alone in saying that robotskip does a great job of single-handedly dragging this forum down for us. You know I'm a sensible guy and I would never say things like this to a person who doesn't deserve it.

<garbage deleted>

The problem isn't that you're locked into using iTunes/iPod, well, not as you've put it

but rather that bought music is [deliberately] incompatible with other devices from competitors, shuts out competitors with the iTunes/iPod link (Which is one of the reasons people label Microsoft as having a 'monopoly'), it is purposefuly incompatible with WMA and other reasons. :tomato:

It 'seems' most of you don't even get what this suit is about or simply haven't read it and are just trying to guess. ;)

That's quite a steep accusation. I'll ignore it for now as you've already been hounded ^^^

EVERYONE WHO'S PURCHASED A SONG FROM ITUNES HAS AGREED TO THE TERMS AND SERVICE AGREEMENT

9. Purchase of Apple Content

a. Products Requirements. You acknowledge that use of Products may require the use of other hardware and software products (e.g., the ability to make copies of Products on physical media and render performance of Products on authorized digital player devices), and that such hardware and software is your responsibility. Once a Product is purchased and you receive the Product, it is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage the Product, and Apple shall be without liability to you in the event of any loss, destruction, or damage.

b. Use of Products. You acknowledge that Products contain security technology that limits your usage of Products to the following Usage Rules, and you agree to use Products in compliance with such Usage Rules.

Usage Rules

Your use of the Products is conditioned upon your prior acceptance of the terms of this Agreement.

You shall be authorized to use the Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

You shall be authorized to use the Products on five Apple-authorized devices at any time.

You shall be entitled to export, burn (if applicable) or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use. You shall not be entitled to burn Video Products.

You shall be authorized to burn an audio playlist up to seven times.

You shall be able to store Products from up to five different Accounts on certain devices, such as an iPod, at a time.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/service.html

All anyone had to do was READ! If something wasn't clear, they shouldn't have agreed to the terms and service agreement... What was your argument? Music purchased on iTunes is incompatible with other players? Of course, such limitations are included/specified in the agreement. Which also means: Apple has it's *** covered.

Edited by jgrimes80

I did post here warning that this topic would be closed if it got out of hand. There have been pointless comments, insults, etc...

Sorry guys, but this thread is now closed.