Easy Update to 10.4.8

Steve's Job

166 posts in this topic

Hmmmh.. one request after another :(. And very surprise this link is still alive ... Presented herein:

[Moderator Edit - URL removed as this may represent a DMCA violation.]

EDIT:

I believe it is wiser if moderators could just replace above statement with "DMCA violation", to cast-off confusion.

[instead of sneaking into someone's sig and changed something there. it's still private, isn't it?]

EDIT2:

I like the new administration feature. Instead of manually modify someone's sig (which is private), it just hide the problematic sig on certain post only. good job!

Staff Edit - we don't sneak in, but the pressures placed upon us by the legal people often require action first, explanations later. In this case a review by the staff was considered appropriate. There is enough information left in this thread for you to find the patch by using search engines

This patch contains:

New 8.8.1 kernels (4 flavors), NVidia drivers and related, Audio ALC882, Intel GMA 900/950, Older ATi cards support, etc.

System Requirements:

1. Any Intel processor with SSE3 command [P4 Presscot and above]

2. A working OSx86 10.4.4 or above

Your(self) Requirements:

1. You must be lazy for reading a lot of threads and how-to's upgrading to 10.4.8 in this very forum

2. You must know how to "force quit" application

3. Read the "Read Me" and "Instruction" provided in the installer

4. Willing to be mature and responsible to what you're doing including its consequences!! Therefore, please don't blame us, your brothers/sisters, moms/dads or even your dogs in case of messing up. Sky is not fallen onto your head, btw.

Generally, we don't provide any supports for installation or troubleshooting. However, if you asked politely and willing to wait for some times, usually we will provide assistance.

It is very helpful if you put your "System Specifications" (as complete as possible) and "History of Change" (what you have ticked, previous manual patch application, etc.).

(A screen shot may or may not be necessary)

Download these:

1. Apple 10.4.8 Combo Update from Apple website

2. Egwan Patch Installer from this website

Manual Backup Notice:

We did not provide all required extensions and workarounds in this installer as it may take larger file size and we are not that compulsive hacking the Mac. Therefore, take a look to what we have provided then if you don't find what you did previously, CREATE BACKUPS. You don't have to master command line for doing backup, just a simple copy paste will do.

Do this BEFORE installing the 10.4.8 update!!

FAQ:

Do I have to enable NX and HPET in my system?

Nope, but it will be a great advantage if you did. Go to your BIOS configuration settings. Usually it is located in "Advanced -> CPU Configurations -> Execute Disable" (exact location will depend on your BIOS manufacturer)

If you're unsure whether you own NX / HPET processor AND have enabled it through BIOS or not, just pick Semthex kernel's (default).

Which kernel should I pick?

Hmmm.., difficult to answer. While I myself using DaemonES kernel (the less modified from Apple original), please use the following guidance:

- Mifki NO NX [if your cpu doesn't have NX/HPET feature]

- DaemonES or Mifki [if your cpu has NX/HPET and have been enabled through BIOS]

- or Semthex Kernel [it is the default install, which is not requiring NX]

Should I install all provided drivers/extensions?

No way... Don't be stupid to install something you don't need.

How do I know what I need to install?

Hahh?? ^_^ [fainted]

I have kernel panic just after restart

try to boot with "-legacy"

or

boot with "-s", then type ". /restorevga"

I want my PCMCIA back

Replace "IO80211Family.kext", "IOPCCardFamily.kext", "IOPCIFamily.kext" or "AppleAPIC.kext" with 10.4.5 version

I am messing up my installation and now have to reinstall hackintosh, reinstall applications, reset configurations

Sky is not yet fallen onto your head.. Why should worry? It's part of the fun, isn't it?

I lost important data and days of work for a client too

What? You use hackintosh for work? Please buy Apple Mac if you use it for commercial purpose. You will be trouble free and it also helps the development further.

I don't understand what's this all about!

Hmm, either they're not for your case or please just buy Apple. Then sit back and relax..

Credits go to:

eGWan, Mifki, DaemonES, Semthex, Jas, Omni, Callisto, np_ , Bofor, TheMax3200, Taruga, DM_Webd, Borisbadenov, Rammjet, Keithpk, Paulicat and all Insanely'ers.

Mash is JaSon Swadley, from Springfield, Missouri.

Greetings from Indonesia!!

Installed and everything worked awesome after first reboot......System running a msi motherboard with a via 8237 chipset and via rhine network chip onboard......After second reboot system shows error in appleviaata.kext and now the via rhine driver that was working before is not working.....have tried to reinstall drivers for the for network using guide found on here but does not work and also the viaatakext keeps resetting itself after each reboot....anything i can do to fix this issue?

update....got the network working...stupid kextcache...lol.....still no dice on the via sata......after every second reboot after install of appleviaata.kext i still get the error system extension cannot be used....not installed properly....blah blah......i tried extracting the via uli package from egwans installer and installing it that way and still no dice.....i tried manually copying the appleviaata.kext to extensions and then root:wheeling/chown'ing it but still no dice.......im beginning to wonder if this is a compatibility issue with this specific version or what....if anyone has a older or newer version of appleviaata.kext they could upload i would be more than happy to try it......not a huge deal but it gets annoying having to install a driver every other reboot...lol

Edited by loopster

finally got it....apparently the installer does not set the correct file permissions for the driver to load at startup.....heres how i did it....i manually extracted the driver kext from the install package (you should know how to do this if you have made it this far already)......i copied over the AppleVIAATA.kext to the extensions folder then booted up terminal and did the following:

terminal

>sudo -s (login)

>chown -R root:wheel /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext

>chmod -R 755 /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext

>kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

>reboot

works now on every reboot

enjoy full access now

:thumbsup_anim:

finally got it....apparently the installer does not set the correct file permissions for the driver to load at startup.....heres how i did it....i manually extracted the driver kext from the install package (you should know how to do this if you have made it this far already)......i copied over the AppleVIAATA.kext to the extensions folder then booted up terminal and did the following:

terminal

>sudo -s (login)

>chown -R root:wheel /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext

>chmod -R 755 /path_to_kext_here/add_name_of_kext_here.kext

>kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

>reboot

works now on every reboot

enjoy full access now

:(

well it should been repaired with the post install script.

i was wondering if bash failed to set the the ownership cuz it's based on apple's kext too

after all glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for your report,

if you want rerun the installer without manual correcting its permissions,

just replace postflight file with this one,

Right click my package-> show package contents-> Contents/Resources then replace the file.

i just add this command:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
sudo find /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
sudo find /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

postflight.zip

Whats this all about ?. Some sort of apple combo updater for hacks ?

excuse me ..

Can we get a working link? or at least where to find the file?

ive tried google/demon/emule with no success.

"find something you cannot see" .. its still there (hopefully)

excuse me ..

"find something you cannot see" .. its still there (hopefully)

Cool thanks.

Well i followed the instructions and get a kernel panic after reboot.

installed the 10.4.8 update from apple, force quit the install and then installed the patch.

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A2ECF): kernel_trap(0x23fbec4) with 64-bit state

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential arge on stack)

0x35fbd68 : 0x128d1f (0x3c9738 0x35fbd8c 0x131ed0 0x0)

0x35fbda8 : 0x3ceb64 (0x3ceb64 0x35fbec4 0x0 0x0)

0x35fbeb8 : 0x19aaf4 (0x35fbec4 0xf 0x302f40 0x0) No mapping exists for frame pointer

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbfffe6c8

this machine is running an asus p5pe-vm MB and an pentium D 820 cpu that is suppose to support SSE3,

I chose the default kernel on install semthex 8.8.1

Any ideas? or did i just hose my system?

PS: i did try to use "\mach_kernel.back -v" at the boot prompt and that still gives me the kernel panic

and after booting with -s, i can see there is no .back file. so this doesnt make a backup or the previous kernel im assuming....

Edited by C0mputerNick

Cool thanks.

Well i followed the instructions and get a kernel panic after reboot.

installed the 10.4.8 update from apple, force quit the install and then installed the patch.

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A2ECF): kernel_trap(0x23fbec4) with 64-bit state

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential arge on stack)

0x35fbd68 : 0x128d1f (0x3c9738 0x35fbd8c 0x131ed0 0x0)

0x35fbda8 : 0x3ceb64 (0x3ceb64 0x35fbec4 0x0 0x0)

0x35fbeb8 : 0x19aaf4 (0x35fbec4 0xf 0x302f40 0x0) No mapping exists for frame pointer

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbfffe6c8

this machine is running an asus p5pe-vm MB and an pentium D 820 cpu that is suppose to support SSE3,

I chose the default kernel on install semthex 8.8.1

Any ideas? or did i just hose my system?

PS: i did try to use "\mach_kernel.back -v" at the boot prompt and that still gives me the kernel panic

and after booting with -s, i can see there is no .back file. so this doesnt make a backup or the previous kernel im assuming....

before we're going so far..i want to ask a couple questions,

have you been succesfully running Intel SSE3 patch on this mobo in the previous version?

if no, looks like it was kernel issue with your mobo or bios setup,

if yes,

try to move any non apple kext inside /system/library/extensions

you can do it with boot in -s mode then clear driver cache

cd /system/library/extensions

mv [non-apple kext e.g skge.kext, viarhine.kext or something] /backups

then clear kernel & driver cache, you may run restorevga script in root console

. /restorevga

About kernel backup,

i didnt make a backup previous kernel becouse it's useless.

with Apple 1048 update, we cant use old kernel anymore

as far i know there no chance to rollback

before we're going so far..i want to ask a couple questions,

have you been succesfully running Intel SSE3 patch on this mobo in the previous version?

if no, looks like it was kernel issue with your mobo or bios setup,

if yes,

try to move any non apple kext inside /system/library/extensions

you can do it with boot in -s mode then clear driver cache

cd /system/library/extensions

mv [non-apple kext e.g skge.kext, viarhine.kext or something] /backups

then clear kernel & driver cache, you may run restorevga script in root console

. /restorevga

About kernel backup,

i didnt make a backup previous kernel becouse it's useless.

with Apple 1048 update, we cant use old kernel anymore

as far i know there no chance to rollback

I dont think ive tried a SSE3 patch before, i do know that none of the 10.4.8 install dvds will boot this machine.

According to the HCL both my MB and CPU work great with 10.4.8 with the semthex patch, so i dont know what it is.

I do have one question though. when it talks about NX and the HPET? what are they called in the bios? I dont

think ive ever seen an option for those two in any bios ive ever messed with.

and again I have the:

p5pe-vm MB: according to the HCL: Fully working except onboard LAN, which needs skge.kext

pentium D 820: according to HCL: Works perfectly with semthex patch beta8 Jas 10.4.8

So unless someone didnt know what they were doing when they tested those components this setup "should" work.

What am i looking for in the bios to turn on or off?

EDIT: ok i found the NoeXecute setting in my bios, it was off by default, I turned it on. What is the other one called Im

looking for?

Also what other things do you suggest i try to try to get this mb/cpu combo to work with 10.4.8? bios settings etc?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by C0mputerNick

@eGWan

Wo can download this ultimative Update? I my Hero! :hysterical:

its easy to find just follow the url link in steve's sig

I dont think ive tried a SSE3 patch before, i do know that none of the 10.4.8 install dvds will boot this machine.

According to the HCL both my MB and CPU work great with 10.4.8 with the semthex patch, so i dont know what it is.

I do have one question though. when it talks about NX and the HPET? what are they called in the bios? I dont

think ive ever seen an option for those two in any bios ive ever messed with.

and again I have the:

p5pe-vm MB: according to the HCL: Fully working except onboard LAN, which needs skge.kext

pentium D 820: according to HCL: Works perfectly with semthex patch beta8 Jas 10.4.8

So unless someone didnt know what they were doing when they tested those components this setup "should" work.

What am i looking for in the bios to turn on or off?

EDIT: ok i found the NoeXecute setting in my bios, it was off by default, I turned it on. What is the other one called Im

looking for?

Also what other things do you suggest i try to try to get this mb/cpu combo to work with 10.4.8? bios settings etc?

Thanks for your help.

Actualy you dont have to set enable "execute disable function" if use semthex

It needed if you are using DaemonES or Mifki NX

have you try to set disable in max cpu limit?

Advance Menu -> CPU Configurations -> Max CPU Limit

if it still failed, try to move non-apple kext i mentioned above

or you may pm the one that reported your mobo in hcl for BIOS setup

@ C0mputerNick

Though it is very unlikely that Semthex's kernel will cause problems on your hardware, you may try installing other kernel: DaemonES (which is now I'm using)

- Boot via your install DVD, then run Terminal from there (Utility Menu --> Terminal).

- Open path to the downloaded .mpkg patch installer

- Run the installer using root (admin) privilege

Hope this helps...

eGWan, it works with 10.4.9 upgrade too ?

Thx.

is it question or statement? :)

well, if statement, congratulations and thx for reporting. may we know in detail on what you've been doing?

while if it is questions.....

i think apple had not yet formally release 10.4.9. current 8p2111 combo update (313MB compressed in .rar) was seeded to the developers only. soo... i guess you know what's the conclusions :P

ps. pls understand that we did not create the patcher. we just created the installer.

as long as current patch path is like: backup mach_kernel --> backup all 10.4.8 kext --> install updater 10.4.9 --> restore mach_kernel --> restore 10.4.8 kext, there is no need for an installer... seriously...

I am new to the osx86 scene ( just started modifying my Dell e1405 the day after Xmas) and have to agree that this is an easy way to get to 10.4.8. I had tried a few of the other options and all ended up with the blank screen after reboot. Only issue I had was with my Broadcom 440x internet. But I got that working with the fix for the IONetworkingfamily.kext that can be found on here from 10.4.3.

Great Job!!!!

Now am waiting for my Truemobile 1490 wireless card so I can have a usable laptop again, of course minus sound for now. But am sure that will be fixed or I'll break down for a USB sound card.

Edited by komodojay

EDIT2:

I like the new administration feature. Instead of manually modify someone's sig (which is private), it just hide the problematic sig on certain post only. good job!

Signatures are subject to the rules, signatures have no private data by itself so no one could read them.

Forum Rules: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Sinature and Avatar rules http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=16427

Normally we ask you to change it, but in case of violating some policy like the DMCA we need to edit inmediatly, if not the forum could be close like once ago.

Hi there to all, and best wishes for the coming new year!

I have been stuck with a 10.4.8 update which has a 8.4.1 kernel. What is the easiest way to switch to 8.8.1 kernel without having to do a live update through the internet?

Are there any clear instructions for non-expert users? (use of Terminal is not a problem)

Thanx in advance

Signatures are subject to the rules, signatures have no private data by itself so no one could read them.

Yes, signature is private, in term of personal expression. We can compare it with clothes or even "normal" signature.

Signature: a distinctive mark, characteristic, or thing that identifies somebody

Private: personal, belonging to, restricted to, or intended for an individual

(Ref: Encarta Reference Library.. english is not my mother tounge)

Normally we ask you to change it, but in case of violating som policy like the DMCA we need to edit inmediatly, if not the forum could be close like once ago the forum was closed.

Can't be more agree with you, IF ONLY the mods stated the DMCA things in the first place. It was previously "under revision", in case you're ahistorical. And it stayed like that for days...

(Please don't assume we understand DMCA. We debated this things prior to post it in public forum -- it was previously circulating internally. We also don't want this forum to be shutdown and even more afraid for being sued by elppA, which isn't funny at all...)

ok, i found a little something at this url, would anyone care to take a look at it?

the last reply on that page seems to be relevant to my question, but i'm still confused as to the naming of the old and replacement kernel, and the whereabouts of both kernels. (e.g. where is the new kernel supposed to be so the cp command can take place?

Thanx again

ok, i found a little something at this url http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry51083 would anyone care to take a look at it?

the last reply on that page seems to be relevant to my question, but i'm still confused as to the naming of the old and replacement kernel, and the whereabouts of both kernels. (e.g. where is the new kernel supposed to be so the cp command can take place?

Thanx again