• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Urbz

Urbz

La cr�me de la cr�me...(?)

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
Hey,

I have an iBook G3 800mhz that runs OS X great but I'd like to play around with OS 9...for nostalgia, if nothing else!

I have an iMac Install CD and a Restore CD with 9.0.4 on it, but that won't work for classic on this iBook, nor then can I boot from it.

So how do I obtain OS 9.1 or later? I'd rather not pay for it... could I somehow upgrade to 9.1 from sheepshaver, even though it can't run 9.1, and then extract the image to my drive?

-Urby

user2

user2

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Hey,

I have an iBook G3 800mhz that runs OS X great but I'd like to play around with OS 9...for nostalgia, if nothing else!

I have an iMac Install CD and a Restore CD with 9.0.4 on it, but that won't work for classic on this iBook, nor then can I boot from it.

So how do I obtain OS 9.1 or later? I'd rather not pay for it... could I somehow upgrade to 9.1 from sheepshaver, even though it can't run 9.1, and then extract the image to my drive?

-Urby

The same way you "obtained" MacOs for Intel. Demonoid, pirate bay etc.

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
I was hoping for a more techie/legal way to do this... oh well.

LaminarFlow

LaminarFlow

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
If you search around within the resore disk you might be able to find a '.img' file that contains the hard drive image. You can mount that and copy the contents of it to your hard drive. I know my 9.0.4 iMac restore CDs worked this way.

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
that .img file doesn't work: the iBook requires 9.1 or later, so this 9.0.4 system folder is of no use to me.
I'm downloading 9.2.2 from piratebay and it's SLOOOW...

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Just a little warning to ya, I'd say about 90% of the OS 9 install disks leaked out there by torrents are some kind of PowerMac or PowerBook G4 restore disk. :(

mac-mini

mac-mini

1337 avatar made by Prawker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
another warning what you are downloading is probably a restore CD because i only remember 9.1 retail

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Laptops
http://www.emaculati...b17af385d4c3a07

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts
Thanks guys, I can't wait to get it all up and running!
But I have a question:
While the 9.2.2 restore disk downloads, I was wondering if I could do it another way. As I said, I have the 9.0.4 installation and I've installed it to sheepshaver before. I could do it again with a half-hour!
Do any of you think I'd be able to update, and even though Sheepshave won't work with it anymore, copy over the new system folder?

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Just a little warning to ya, I'd say about 90% of the OS 9 install disks leaked out there by torrents are some kind of PowerMac or PowerBook G4 restore disk. :pirate2:

OS 9 disks (and for that matter OS 10.1 disks) tend to be rather generic. I freely switched between an iMac G3 disk and PowerBook G4 disk with no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy