Classic for an Ibook G3/800

Urbz

10 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have an iBook G3 800mhz that runs OS X great but I'd like to play around with OS 9...for nostalgia, if nothing else!

I have an iMac Install CD and a Restore CD with 9.0.4 on it, but that won't work for classic on this iBook, nor then can I boot from it.

So how do I obtain OS 9.1 or later? I'd rather not pay for it... could I somehow upgrade to 9.1 from sheepshaver, even though it can't run 9.1, and then extract the image to my drive?

-Urby

Hey,

I have an iBook G3 800mhz that runs OS X great but I'd like to play around with OS 9...for nostalgia, if nothing else!

I have an iMac Install CD and a Restore CD with 9.0.4 on it, but that won't work for classic on this iBook, nor then can I boot from it.

So how do I obtain OS 9.1 or later? I'd rather not pay for it... could I somehow upgrade to 9.1 from sheepshaver, even though it can't run 9.1, and then extract the image to my drive?

-Urby

The same way you "obtained" MacOs for Intel. Demonoid, pirate bay etc.

that .img file doesn't work: the iBook requires 9.1 or later, so this 9.0.4 system folder is of no use to me.

I'm downloading 9.2.2 from piratebay and it's SLOOOW...

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get it all up and running!

But I have a question:

While the 9.2.2 restore disk downloads, I was wondering if I could do it another way. As I said, I have the 9.0.4 installation and I've installed it to sheepshaver before. I could do it again with a half-hour!

Do any of you think I'd be able to update, and even though Sheepshave won't work with it anymore, copy over the new system folder?

Just a little warning to ya, I'd say about 90% of the OS 9 install disks leaked out there by torrents are some kind of PowerMac or PowerBook G4 restore disk. :pirate2:

OS 9 disks (and for that matter OS 10.1 disks) tend to be rather generic. I freely switched between an iMac G3 disk and PowerBook G4 disk with no problems.