Input Remapper 1.0.01 Beta

Beliyaal

49 posts in this topic

Thanks for the great programme. I'm running Windows Vista on a Macbook with input remapper. System crashed twice during the 1-week use, but maybe something wrong with Symantec Antivirus.

May suggest in the future could input remapper support a function of switching off the LCD after a certain free time for macbook. Currently there's no driver for macbook to support these ACPI function. If input remapper could do this will be great. Eg. switch off the LCD 5 minutes if there's no one using the labtop.

Also, may I ask is that possible to make F1 to F12 keys work directly without pressing Fn key, just like what they do under OSX. I tried to find out this function in input remapper settings. No relavent settings were found in the current version.

Thank you again for the great programme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Your best bet is the Apple trackpad driver. It has it's own issues as explained above.

I may have found a work-around for the unresponsive trackpad after sleep issue in Vista. I use the Apple driver (manual install as pr this thread).

Work-around: Locate and download DevCon.exe from Microsoft.com. It is a utility for performing device management from the command line. In my case I saved devcon.exe to %SYSTEMDIR%. Create a task in Task Scheduler with trigger "On an event". Log: System, Source: Power-Troubleshooter, Eventid: 1. You need two actions: Start a program: Devcon.exe. Parameters: disable "USB\VID_05AC&PID_0218&REV_0060&MI_01" and Start a program: devcon.exe. Parameters: enable "USB\VID_05AC&PID_0218&REV_0060&MI_01".

The hardware ID of your trackpad may be different than mine, so you must check it and copy it from Device manager.

The task should run with "highest privileges" (to avoid User Account Control messing things up) and it must be able to run any time.

A rather clumsy solution, but its the best I can do...

• 2 weeks later...
I may have found a work-around for the unresponsive trackpad after sleep issue in Vista. I use the Apple driver (manual install as pr this thread).

Is there a separate thread for this? I imagine there should be...

I ask because I have been having the same problem, but not with Vista. I am running XP SP2, but I am running as a regular non-Administrator level user. I am sort of guessing it is dependent on user privilege level instead of being Vista-specific. I would like to note this in the appropriate thread, if there is one.

EDIT: I see no way to delete posts, so my apologies for not searching for the post before I posted this. Slip of the mind.

Edited by slinkygn

Thanks for the awesome utility. Works perfectly!! I'm in the field a lot supporting PC clients and networks. I use my MBP laptop for support. It has been so frustrating not to be able to manage the PC desktop and controls natively without the use of a keyboard and/or connected mouse. Your utility now provides me the freedom and control.

ThankYOU!

Jeff

Input Remapper 1.0.01 Beta has been released!

For full functionality please remove Boot Camp 1.1.x keyboard drivers.

2006-11-30 - Version 1.0.01 Beta

* Added: Full Vista 32 bit support.

* Added: Support for fast user switching.

* Fixed: Update fan speeds and screen backlight every 15 seconds.

* Fixed: Misc bugs.

* Note: Should not be used together with another tool that uses the SMC such as MacBook Tray Tools because of conflicts with accessing the SMC at the same time.

* Note: Automatic dimming is not perfect and needs some delays and tweaks in a future version.

* Note: Do not use under 64-bit Vista for now. Might work if driver signing is disabled in boot menu.

* Note: Apple keyboard drivers should be uninstalled.

* Note: If screen brightness and keyboard backlight controls seems to not be working try holding the keys down longer.

Keys bound on MacBook Pro

* The default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

* fn+Left Click = Right Click

* fn+Backspace = Delete

* fn+Eject = PrintScreen

* fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

* fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

* fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

* fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

* fn+F5 = Increase Volume

* fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

* fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F11 = Media Play

* fn+F12 = Media Stop

* fn+Up = Page Up

* fn+Down = Page Down

* fn+Left = Home

* fn+Right = End

* fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

* Eject = Eject all optical discs

* Enter = Right Click

Any questions, requests, or bug reports should be made in this thread. Thanks!

InputRemapper_1_0_01_Beta.exe

Hello, i have a macbook, not a macbook pro, some keys are working, but the volume keys are not working :) , F3, F4 & F5, no reaction... some help plz?

I am having similar results. Everything seems to work except for fn+F1 and fn+F2. Does anyone know of a solution for the 13" MacBook? Max brightness is killing my battery. Otherwise, I love this app; much better than autohotkey!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a Mee Too.

MacBook (not Pro) with working InputRemapper. Almost working.

- Fn-F1/F2-Keys not working (no Brightness-Settings)

- Changes in the "Mac Book Keyboard Wizard" (it's MacBook, isn't it?) are not displayed correctly.

I can set whatever I want; my preferences are not saved.

The chosen settings *do* work but opening the MBKW again shows all of 'em in their original states.

I have checked on write permissions for <path>\InputRemapper\Settings.dat and those are okay.

Settings.dat seems to change, too (judging by the file date/time stamp)

Deactivating InputRemapper does't help either, nor does stopping and starting the service.

Any Idea what else I could check?

Different Questions:

- Is it ok to delete the "*.x64.*" files on a 32bit XP Pro?

- Whats MacBookPro.dat for? Are those the default settings?

- And what about dbghelp.dll. Is that still in use or just leftover since debugging?

Thanks you for your efforts. I dissected the apple keyboard driver for about a week, trying to understand its workings, and failed... I'm extremely impressed by Input Remapper. Kudos.

Cheers

maelcum

Edited by maelcum

Update:

The Fn-1/2 Keys **DO** work.

After starting the machine and logging in, I'll have to call up the "Mac Book Keyboard Wizard" and remap something (I usually change the left side function keys to something like Ctrl, Fn, Alt, Win), then click "OK".

Until I reboot, I can turn the brightness up and down. And I see the values changing in the "Mac Book Settings"-Menu.

So we know the program does work on a MacBook (sans Pro). :thumbsup_anim:

It still looses it's settings. :rolleyes:

Update:

The Fn-1/2 Keys **DO** work.

After starting the machine and logging in, I'll have to call up the "Mac Book Keyboard Wizard" and remap something (I usually change the left side function keys to something like Ctrl, Fn, Alt, Win), then click "OK".

Until I reboot, I can turn the brightness up and down. And I see the values changing in the "Mac Book Settings"-Menu.

So we know the program does work on a MacBook (sans Pro). :rolleyes:

It still looses it's settings. :P

The setting beeing a "Wizard" in nature, only generating a set of more complex settings it works as designed (the settings should be saved but every time you go into the dialog you will get the default dialog choices). I might change this in the future though.

Are you saying that the fn key work if you change it to be on the ctrl button, but not at the default position?

- Is it ok to delete the "*.x64.*" files on a 32bit XP Pro?

Yes, but there is no need to.

- Whats MacBookPro.dat for? Are those the default settings?

It's used as part of the wizard.

- And what about dbghelp.dll. Is that still in use or just leftover since debugging?

If the program should crash it's needed to reliably create a crash dump so I can debug the crash (it might not be installed in Windows or the wrong version might be installed).

Edited by Beliyaal

Are you saying that the fn key work if you change it to be on the ctrl button, but not at the default position?

No.

Start Windows, log in - nothing works.

Call Mac Book Keyboard Wizard, change anything (I just said what I usually do), click ok - Things start working.

*If* I change Ctrl and Fn, they are changed. No problem here. I just *have* to change *something* to get it to work.

(the settings should be saved but every time you go into the dialog you will get the default dialog choices)

Wow. That sure sucks!

How do I know what the settings are, after having changed something?

How can I set an Option, that I unset before, if the default view is "set" but the saved setting is "unset"?

How do you shut off the monitor backlight completely? In boot camp if you use the the fn+f1 key it will turn off the monitor. Am i doinf something wrong it only seems to go to the lowest dim point?

Thanks

Dave

Try updating to the newest ATI driver. It seems the range differs. Maybe I should add the possibility to tweak the shut off point.

Edit: I think it should work with all drivers already, if you have tweaked the minimum light point i settings it might not work.

Edited by Beliyaal

I updated the ati drivers now the backlight shuts off when i close the lid which was driving me crazy! Thanks but still no luck on manually shutting off the screen. I treid various tweaks with the threshold and still no luck. Is the boot camp brightness tray icon still supposed to be in the tray or should i have removed the brightness.exe from the system32 folder ? I uninstalled the apple keyboard from the program folder but wasnt sure if i should remove this as well.

thanks again

I updated the ati drivers now the backlight shuts off when i close the lid which was driving me crazy! Thanks but still no luck on manually shutting off the screen. I treid various tweaks with the threshold and still no luck. Is the boot camp brightness tray icon still supposed to be in the tray or should i have removed the brightness.exe from the system32 folder ? I uninstalled the apple keyboard from the program folder but wasnt sure if i should remove this as well.

thanks again

If you change "Screen Backlight Min" under "Automatic Backlight Options" to the far left it should work.

thanks for this program but how do you stop it ?

I wanted to speedup my fan (it works) but now I want to slowdown. I tried to unenable it, uninstall it, reboot.. but nothing..

It only sets the minimum speed of the fan, and this value is reset at reboot and even when waking from sleep. Maybe your computer is too warm so the fan is running at high speed for that reason.

So... is there any way to enable Tap-To-Click in Windows? This is one of the 2 things that annoys me most about my Mac Book Pro in Windows XP.

(the second is the fact that it wakes up from sleep by itself and sometimes just doesn't want to go to sleep)

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hey Guys ..

Stupid question here.... this app does not control the fan speed on mac mini... cause it does not seem to display anything but presets for the Keyboard and Mouse... no fan..

Do you happen to have any idea how to make my Mac Mini's Fan speed up ?? I am running Win2k3 server R2..

Thanks

• 2 months later...

So, I screwed up here and I feel really stupid. I purchased the Apple Wireless Keyboard and have been trying to find ways of getting all it's keys to function in Vista. I installed this utility after being frustrated by every other option I tried. I didn't scan the part where it says not to install on Vista 64 and did so anyway in my haste. I rebooted the machine and now no input works at all, keyboard mouse, nothing. I booted into safe mode and nothing works there as well. I'm feeling pretty dumb and I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on how to get back in so I can uninstall this. Thanks in advance for any help!

So, I screwed up here and I feel really stupid. I purchased the Apple Wireless Keyboard and have been trying to find ways of getting all it's keys to function in Vista. I installed this utility after being frustrated by every other option I tried. I didn't scan the part where it says not to install on Vista 64 and did so anyway in my haste. I rebooted the machine and now no input works at all, keyboard mouse, nothing. I booted into safe mode and nothing works there as well. I'm feeling pretty dumb and I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on how to get back in so I can uninstall this. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ok, I fixed it. I booted from the Vista DVD and did a recovery from a system restore point. Fixed! Hooray! Very scary lesson in reading directions!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I just wanted to tell you guys, that I experienced the same thing as Chris Monaccio.

This DOES NOT WORK under Vista 64-bit. It will screw up your keyboard AND mouse, so they will not work anymore. However I was lucky and my GFX tablet was still working, so I could uninstall it. *phew* :)

Have a nice day! :wallbash: