• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

pabloX

pabloX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Would this work for an Atheros AR5005UX (its a USB2.0 WLAN device, specifically the ZyXEL M-202) if I put the correct Vendor ID and Product ID in the plist?

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Would this work for an Atheros AR5005UX (its a USB2.0 WLAN device, specifically the ZyXEL M-202) if I put the correct Vendor ID and Product ID in the plist?

i don't see why not, but you never know with osx86!

facka

facka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi guys, lets start with the typical statement "sorry my english is not good, in from Colombia"

The thing is, i followed matt's instructions and my wireless card was successfully installed, but whenever i try to connect to a wireless network (doenst matter if it has encryption or not) i cant connect. It shows me a message saying that it wasnt able to connect to the network, try again or ok.

I dont know what to do, i cant enter to my network eventhough i obviously have the password, cant connect to an unencrypted network, i cant do anything.

thx in advance

just4fun

just4fun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
first of all sorry for my english.
im running mac osx 10.4.8 my wireless card from dlink mode wua-2340
this is what is show in USB About this mac

USB WLAN Device:

Version: 0.01
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Atheros Communications Inc
Product ID: 0x3a08
Serial Number: 1.0
Vendor ID: 0x07d1

What do i have to do to get wireless connected. please help me

just4fun

just4fun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Thanks Matthieu! You made my day! :)

Just got the new NETGEAR WG311T up and working as full Airport thanks to your explanation!
(after 3 days of searching, hacking and buying 3 different WLAN cards...)

Taco

taco i have the same card please help me how to set it up. please

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

hi guys, lets start with the typical statement "sorry my english is not good, in from Colombia"

The thing is, i followed matt's instructions and my wireless card was successfully installed, but whenever i try to connect to a wireless network (doenst matter if it has encryption or not) i cant connect. It shows me a message saying that it wasnt able to connect to the network, try again or ok.

I dont know what to do, i cant enter to my network eventhough i obviously have the password, cant connect to an unencrypted network, i cant do anything.

thx in advance

have you installed the airport update 2007? when i installed it, i couldn't connect to networks anymore.

Magnetic_dud

Magnetic_dud

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hi, i have mac os x 10.4.5 on a toshiba laptop
I have a 3com 3CRPAG175 a/b/g pcmcia card based on an atheros 5002 chipset
the PCMCIA bus is recognized and the pcmcia card is recognized as an "unknown network card"
the internal ethernet is set as et0
the vendor id is A727 and device id is 0013

additionally, it should work natively as someone stated on the wiki

but it doesn't work.
I tried to edit NetworkInterfaces.plist but there's no mention of my wlan
i have to edit info.plist in AirportAtheros5424.kext? (already edited and added my card info)

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I recently bought a new laptop Toshiba Satelite a135. It has an Atheros 5006eg mini pci-e network card. Using the standard driver with 10.4.8 if i kextload the driver it loads without any dependency problems but doesn't work. With the driver from 10.4.5 under the system profiler it says (text copied from previous post)

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Is this due to the card being PCI-E and not PCI? Is there any way to make the current driver work or to port the madwifi driver?

Thanks

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I recently bought a new laptop Toshiba Satelite a135. It has an Atheros 5006eg mini pci-e network card. Using the standard driver with 10.4.8 if i kextload the driver it loads without any dependency problems but doesn't work. With the driver from 10.4.5 under the system profiler it says (text copied from previous post)

Airportatheros5424:

Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Is this due to the card being PCI-E and not PCI? Is there any way to make the current driver work or to port the madwifi driver?

Thanks

pci-e might be a problem, but that looks like your IO80211Family might have bad permissions or be otherwise modified/corrupted.

as for madwifi, i think it would be quite a bit of trouble. I'm trying to port the (outdated) linux pcmcia-cs driver and haven't had any success yet...
I don't know enough about apple IOKit/the differences between the mach_kernel and the linux kernel to really say for sure.

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I've tried multiple times with the older kext, repaired permissions with disk utility and manually, but cannot use my wifi. If the problem is because the newer Atheros chips are PCI-E, does that mean other PCI-E cards wont work with OSx86?

Edit: my vender and device IDs are listed in the plist - 168c,1c -- I've tried changing 1 to 001 but didn't help.

Jami Ortiz

Jami Ortiz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I have tried for countless weekends to get this card to work. The wierd thing is that i took this card out of an apple mini. I came to the conclusion that this card will not work, at least it will not work with my laptop (XPS M1210). So why it's not working in my laptop under OSX is a mystery to me. Possibly because its a hacked / patched copy. That is the only reason that I came up with. to make a long story short. I gave up. I brought a compatible card. However I am still confused about why it dosen't work.

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
With the standard IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8, it loads fine, all dependencies are resolved. Unfortunatly it still doesn't work. ;-(

Anyone know why?

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Ok, i have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi with an Atheros 5005. I followed your guide and everything worked alright, apart from the fact that it's still not recocnized. Could that be because i didnt changed en0 to en1 in the networkinterfaces.plist file? If so, is somebody able to tell me how to modify the file? I'm a total noob to all of those things..

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
After the atheros driver is installed, if you don't have onboard ethernet, it will be recognized as en0, but should be en1. In the terminal type:
sudo -s
cd /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/
nano NetworkInterfaces.plist

Here it should list the network adapters on your computer (and Firewire if you have it). You need to change en0 to en1 listed under BSD Name and 0 to 1 under IOInterfaceUnit only for the airport driver.
After the changes are made, type:

press control + x -- exit
press y -- yes
press enter

Hope that helps

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
Hi ghw9132, I am considering to buy the GN-WI01GT 108 Mbit, from what I have understood that is the Mini PCI-e card you have built into your Toshiba, right? Could you please confirm or correct me? [the shop in Germany sells it as the AR5006EGS]

Also, in your sig you say you have not gotten it to work - is that still current, or did what you mentioned in your posting above do the trick for you?

Thanks & cheers,
Bugs

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
No, i have not been able to use my WIFI. I have ordered a Dell 1490 from ebay, should arrive today or tomorrow.

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I received my Dell Truemobile 1490 Mini PCI-E card today. It is recognized as airport, but unfortunatly my laptop has a switch to disable the radio. With the new card, the switch has no effect, it is always off. OSX doesn't tell me this, it just says it cant find any networks. Windows Vista says that it is disabled by this switch, and tells me to turn it on.

I've read some discussions with other laptops regarding a radio kill switch. Not sure if mine is hardware or software. I guess it's back to search the forums, or wait for a driver for my 5006eg.

DellIsUnderRated

DellIsUnderRated

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I have the Atheros 5005 gs working on Jas 10.4.8 with SSE2 after setting en0 to en1 and replacing IO80211Family.kext with the kext from 10.4.5. It works fine with WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. However at my University I am required to use 802.1X TTLS PAP authentication. When I configure airport to connect to the wireless network at my school using 802.1X I am able to login but I am not able to get an IP address and airport just assigns a self assigned IP address which will not allow me to connect to the internet. If I click the button to renew an IP address, it doesnt do anything. I have read up on this problem and it appears that there was a problem at one time with the Mac Book Pro's that have the Atheros chipsets installed in them. There is a newer IO80211Family.kext file released by Apple to fix that problem up on the web but it only works for Mac Book Pro's. It does not work for the Atheros 5005 (g). This is the reference I found to the problem with the Mac Book Pro not being able to get an IP address using 802.1X authentication: http://www.macintouc.../topic2005.html and the reported solution for it http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html

For the Atheros 5005 cards, after updating to the IO80211Family.kext that was provided at http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html, Mac OS X will not detect the card as air port anymore. Is there a hack around this problem using the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext? It would be great if I could access the wireless on an 802.1X network. I also have tried v3.3 (the latest version) of the orangeware drivers but the demo version will not even run because when I try to access the wireless configuration panel, I get an error that says it cannot run on this computer, contact the developer to obtain a newer version. java script:add_smilie(%22:mellow:%22,%22smid_1%22)

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
@ ghw9132 & DellIsUnderRated: thanks a lot for your input !

Mentorek wrote me a PM that he never got his GN-WI01GT AR5006EGS 108 Mbit bg t owork, either, despite of hours of hacking, so I will order the AR5006EX 54 Mbit abg right now via ebay Germany since that one is known to work in both, X and Win. Then I can donate and snail-mail my existing Intel 3945 abg to the Intel xxxx driver development team here because they do not have any 3945 at hand right now. Depending on how the connectivity of the AR5006EX 54 Mbit abg is (in X AND in Win) I might buy the AR5BXB6 (40Y7026) 108 Mbit abg Apple 13" MacBook Wireless Card later on, too.

@ DellIsUnderRated:
- IO80211Family.kext: click on the link in my sig for the Netgear WLAN and try that IO80211Family.kext
- orangeware drivers: same thing here. Wondering if the full version acts the same way ..

Jami Ortiz

Jami Ortiz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
i have that card the Atheros, AR5BXB6 and let me warn you I have not been able to get this card to work. Again, I took this card out of a Mac Mini which is already and apple product but had no luck getting it to work in my XPS M1210.

The 1490 from dell should work. maybe if you used windows to turn on the card and leave it on, while going into OSX u should not have any problems. But I dont thnk the Atheros card works. Some of them I know work but I dont think they all work as the hard ware compatibility list this card as not working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy