Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

I received my Dell Truemobile 1490 Mini PCI-E card today. It is recognized as airport, but unfortunatly my laptop has a switch to disable the radio. With the new card, the switch has no effect, it is always off. OSX doesn't tell me this, it just says it cant find any networks. Windows Vista says that it is disabled by this switch, and tells me to turn it on.

I've read some discussions with other laptops regarding a radio kill switch. Not sure if mine is hardware or software. I guess it's back to search the forums, or wait for a driver for my 5006eg.

I have the Atheros 5005 gs working on Jas 10.4.8 with SSE2 after setting en0 to en1 and replacing IO80211Family.kext with the kext from 10.4.5. It works fine with WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. However at my University I am required to use 802.1X TTLS PAP authentication. When I configure airport to connect to the wireless network at my school using 802.1X I am able to login but I am not able to get an IP address and airport just assigns a self assigned IP address which will not allow me to connect to the internet. If I click the button to renew an IP address, it doesnt do anything. I have read up on this problem and it appears that there was a problem at one time with the Mac Book Pro's that have the Atheros chipsets installed in them. There is a newer IO80211Family.kext file released by Apple to fix that problem up on the web but it only works for Mac Book Pro's. It does not work for the Atheros 5005 (g). This is the reference I found to the problem with the Mac Book Pro not being able to get an IP address using 802.1X authentication: http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ma.../topic2005.html and the reported solution for it http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html

For the Atheros 5005 cards, after updating to the IO80211Family.kext that was provided at http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html, Mac OS X will not detect the card as air port anymore. Is there a hack around this problem using the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext? It would be great if I could access the wireless on an 802.1X network. I also have tried v3.3 (the latest version) of the orangeware drivers but the demo version will not even run because when I try to access the wireless configuration panel, I get an error that says it cannot run on this computer, contact the developer to obtain a newer version. java script:add_smilie(%22:mellow:%22,%22smid_1%22)

@ ghw9132 & DellIsUnderRated: thanks a lot for your input !

Mentorek wrote me a PM that he never got his GN-WI01GT AR5006EGS 108 Mbit bg t owork, either, despite of hours of hacking, so I will order the AR5006EX 54 Mbit abg right now via ebay Germany since that one is known to work in both, X and Win. Then I can donate and snail-mail my existing Intel 3945 abg to the Intel xxxx driver development team here because they do not have any 3945 at hand right now. Depending on how the connectivity of the AR5006EX 54 Mbit abg is (in X AND in Win) I might buy the AR5BXB6 (40Y7026) 108 Mbit abg Apple 13" MacBook Wireless Card later on, too.

@ DellIsUnderRated:

- IO80211Family.kext: click on the link in my sig for the Netgear WLAN and try that IO80211Family.kext

- orangeware drivers: same thing here. Wondering if the full version acts the same way ..

i have that card the Atheros, AR5BXB6 and let me warn you I have not been able to get this card to work. Again, I took this card out of a Mac Mini which is already and apple product but had no luck getting it to work in my XPS M1210.

The 1490 from dell should work. maybe if you used windows to turn on the card and leave it on, while going into OSX u should not have any problems. But I dont thnk the Atheros card works. Some of them I know work but I dont think they all work as the hard ware compatibility list this card as not working.

Has anyone who has got this card to work with WEP/WPA/WPA2 ever successfully got this card to connect to an 802.1X network and retrieve an IP address? In addition to my post above, my network at school also does not allow manually entering an IP address so I have to use dhcp but it times out. This is not a problem on Windows Vista using SecureW2 or Linux using wpa_supplicant and dhclient, I really need to get this card working properly with 802.1X networks.

<rant>

I give up. I bought this laptop specifically because I foolishly believed that all atheros wifi cards worked. After spending money on a Dell truemobile MiniPCI-E which won't work even in windowz because of the darned rf kill switch, and a Dell 1490 USB which doesn't even have a broadcom chipset, i've had enough. My laptop is useless to me w/o wifi. I guess i'll have to get used to M$ Vista, or return it to Best Buy and get a Mac mini.

</rant>

<rant>

I give up. I bought this laptop specifically because I foolishly believed that all atheros wifi cards worked. After spending money on a Dell truemobile MiniPCI-E which won't work even in windowz because of the darned rf kill switch, and a Dell 1490 USB which doesn't even have a broadcom chipset, i've had enough. My laptop is useless to me w/o wifi. I guess i'll have to get used to M$ Vista, or return it to Best Buy and get a Mac mini.

</rant>

Hi I purchased my Atheros 5005gs brand new directly from Ebay for $23.00 plus shipping. Under the seller details for this card, it is claimed that this card is better than the Dell True Mobile card. On windows Vista Business, the card is automatically detected and installed with the drivers included with windows vista. In addition it is supported by the madwifi driver in linux. It also works on Mac OS X and it is detected as airport extreme with the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext file and a change from en0 to en1. On my machine the OS initially assigned it to en2 because en1 was assigned to my ipw2200 that I replaced with this card. After changing it to en1 plus that other value you need to change, OS 10 detects the card as airport. In addition this thread is about the atheros 5005, not the dell true mobile card. I suggest you make a post under a thread for dell true mobile because most of the people on this thread are familiar with the atheros chipset and can't really help you with your problem using the dell true mobile card.

I received my Dell Truemobile 1490 Mini PCI-E card today. It is recognized as airport, but unfortunatly my laptop has a switch to disable the radio. With the new card, the switch has no effect, it is always off. OSX doesn't tell me this, it just says it cant find any networks. Windows Vista says that it is disabled by this switch, and tells me to turn it on.

I've read some discussions with other laptops regarding a radio kill switch. Not sure if mine is hardware or software. I guess it's back to search the forums, or wait for a driver for my 5006eg.

Did you enable the option in your bios to allow you to use the switch. I would check your bios as power to your card could be turned off in your bios. My Dell Inspiron B130/1300 has the option to turn it off, only turn it on/off with the switch using the keys FN+F2 or allow applications to automatically turn it off/on + FN+F2.

My wireless card is AR5005G. As instruction at page 1, use IO80211Family kext 10.4.5 . It's OK. But when you upgrade IO80211Family kext to the latest from Apple, system can find your wireless card.

How to use the latest update without problem with AR5005G card ???

Download the latest IO80211Family kext from Apple and install it. Then restart and I found that system can find your wireless card.

Go to : /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/

and edit Info.plist file

Find

<key>IONameMatch</key>

and change it to : (delete the old value)

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci106b,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

<string>pci168c,14</string>

<string>pci168c,15</string>

<string>pci168c,16</string>

<string>pci168c,17</string>

<string>pci168c,18</string>

<string>pci168c,19</string>

<string>pci168c,1a</string>

<string>pci168c,1b</string>

<string>pci168c,52</string>

<string>pci168c,55</string>

<string>pci168c,57</string>

<string>pci168c,58</string>

<string>pci168c,58a</string>

<string>pci168c,86</string>

<string>pci168c,87</string>

</array>

Go to terminal

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

I think it work for your Atheros wireless card, and some AR500x card.

This solution works for my Atheros 5005gs and now I can take full advantage of airport using the 2007 update. Also having the new IO80211Family.kext installed should fix the problem with not being able to obtain IP addresses on 802.1X networks which was a problem with the Mac Book pros, that have atheros chipsets, prior to the 10.4.6 update from Apple.

:D

I have the Atheros 5005 gs working on Jas 10.4.8 with SSE2 after setting en0 to en1 and replacing IO80211Family.kext with the kext from 10.4.5. It works fine with WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. However at my University I am required to use 802.1X TTLS PAP authentication. When I configure airport to connect to the wireless network at my school using 802.1X I am able to login but I am not able to get an IP address and airport just assigns a self assigned IP address which will not allow me to connect to the internet. If I click the button to renew an IP address, it doesnt do anything. I have read up on this problem and it appears that there was a problem at one time with the Mac Book Pro's that have the Atheros chipsets installed in them. There is a newer IO80211Family.kext file released by Apple to fix that problem up on the web but it only works for Mac Book Pro's. It does not work for the Atheros 5005 (g). This is the reference I found to the problem with the Mac Book Pro not being able to get an IP address using 802.1X authentication: http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ma.../topic2005.html and the reported solution for it http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html

For the Atheros 5005 cards, after updating to the IO80211Family.kext that was provided at http://chrisnolan.org/8021x.html, Mac OS X will not detect the card as air port anymore. Is there a hack around this problem using the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext? It would be great if I could access the wireless on an 802.1X network. I also have tried v3.3 (the latest version) of the orangeware drivers but the demo version will not even run because when I try to access the wireless configuration panel, I get an error that says it cannot run on this computer, contact the developer to obtain a newer version. java script:add_smilie(%22:mellow:%22,%22smid_1%22)

Here is a fix for this problem that I think should work.

My wireless card is AR5005G. As instruction at page 1, use IO80211Family kext 10.4.5 . It's OK. But when you upgrade IO80211Family kext to the latest from Apple, system can find your wireless card.

How to use the latest update without problem with AR5005G card ???

Download the latest IO80211Family kext from Apple and install it. Then restart and I found that system can find your wireless card.

Go to : /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/

and edit Info.plist file

Find

<key>IONameMatch</key>

and change it to : (delete the old value)

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci106b,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

<string>pci168c,14</string>

<string>pci168c,15</string>

<string>pci168c,16</string>

<string>pci168c,17</string>

<string>pci168c,18</string>

<string>pci168c,19</string>

<string>pci168c,1a</string>

<string>pci168c,1b</string>

<string>pci168c,52</string>

<string>pci168c,55</string>

<string>pci168c,57</string>

<string>pci168c,58</string>

<string>pci168c,58a</string>

<string>pci168c,86</string>

<string>pci168c,87</string>

</array>

Go to terminal

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

I think it work for your Atheros wireless card, and some AR500x card.

Doing the following instructions in the quoted post above should fix this problem. It does work for me using WPA2-PSK. I havent tried it at school yet but it lets you use the Airport 2007 002 update from apple. Since it updates the IO80211Family.kext, this should fix the problem. Ill post back to let everyone know if it works for sure tomorrow.

i have that card the Atheros, AR5BXB6 and let me warn you I have not been able to get this card to work. Again, I took this card out of a Mac Mini which is already and apple product but had no luck getting it to work in my XPS M1210.
I'm a kext gatherering maniac and plist junkie so we'll see. .. :dev:

@ DellIsUnderRated: superb, let's all be happy for you :P !!

@ ghw9132: if the posting DellIsUnderRated quoted does not help you try glitchman's kexts out of my sig, they make OS X use the same ACPI IO ranges etc. as in Linux. After that you could try different versions of the IO80211Family kext

Without a bios hack i'm unable to use any other mini pci-e cards. Since no one has had sucess with the 5006eg i must look into a viable USB or a PC card solution.

EDIT!: By taping pin 20 on my Dell replacement card, I now have wifi in OSX!

hi guys, i would like to clarify: does anyone have the Atheros AR5005 MiniPCI (not PCIE) running with the latest AirPort 2007 update? following my procedure, the card works great, WEP, WPA, WPA2, and i'm afraid it will break if i install the update. the only reason i want to install it is because software update keeps annoying me and telling me to update.

After Software Update you could easily switch back to your backed up IO80211Family kext in case Thang Bo's Update & Edit procedure, as quoted by DellIsUnderRated, does not work for you.

ok I'm still a bit new to all this I have a AR5005GS.. PCI-e card.. I tried the truemobile 1450 but my computer wouldn't even start with it in.. for some reason.

Anyway.. I tried almost everything.. I have 10.4.8 (jas ppf1 ppf2) with the jas combo update to 8.9.1

I tried the update from apple.. fixed the kext (I had a iwi3945 that most of it was deleted but for some reason was being seen in the networksomething file. ) changed the plist file. and all otheres..

the only thing i haven't tried yet is the 10.4.5 kext

for some reason though it's there.. but network in system preferences doesn't see the card even after i changed it to en1..

any ideas ?

dGV

ok I'm still a bit new to all this I have a AR5005GS.. PCI-e card.. I tried the truemobile 1450 but my computer wouldn't even start with it in.. for some reason.

Anyway.. I tried almost everything.. I have 10.4.8 (jas ppf1 ppf2) with the jas combo update to 8.9.1

I tried the update from apple.. fixed the kext (I had a iwi3945 that most of it was deleted but for some reason was being seen in the networksomething file. ) changed the plist file. and all otheres..

for some reason though it's there.. but network in system preferences doesn't see the card even after i changed it to en1..

any ideas ?

dGV

what do you mean "it's there?" I have a sony sz440 and with the Gigabyte WI01GT AR 5005GS PCI-E card. and i can't get teh switch to turn on and haven't even been able to do anything with it. any thoughts? i tried doing the IONAME change and it didn't do anything. any help at all? and how do you change en0 to en1?

hey.. well my green led on the comp that tells me My bt and my wlan are on is green.. that's the only way i can figure to tell..

but nothing is turning on the card.. should i try and reinstall everything with my card in ?

also it seems when i make a BT connection nowadays it crashes my comp.. very weird.

dGV

I have an Atheros AR5007EG in my Acer Aspire 3680-2633 Laptop, I have not been able to get it to work at all. It has the vendor ID of 168c, and device ID of 1c. I'm trying to use it on a 10.4.8 Jas install, and have also tried using the 10.4.5 kexts. Can someone help me out? Thanks

thanks for the tips. got the toshiba satellite m-70 laptop's builtin atheros ar5005g devid 001A to work in JaS 10.4.8 after the putting the devid in info.plist and replacing en0 with en1 in the network list.

since internetting is a big part of my computing experience, it was essential for me to get the wireless working.

i have a old pismo with 10.4.9 and will keep that but enjoy having a pc/mac enabled laptop.

:D

HEEEEEAAALS YEAH! my acer aspire 3680 is now networkable...now lets get some sound happening

coreyb, did you follow the guide to the letter, or did you modify some steps?

what do you mean "it's there?" I have a sony sz440 and with the Gigabyte WI01GT AR 5005GS PCI-E card. and i can't get teh switch to turn on and haven't even been able to do anything with it. any thoughts? i tried doing the IONAME change and it didn't do anything. any help at all? and how do you change en0 to en1?

... from what i've read above, Gigabyte cards don't seem to be very friendly..

I have an Atheros AR5007EG in my Acer Aspire 3680-2633 Laptop, I have not been able to get it to work at all. It has the vendor ID of 168c, and device ID of 1c. I'm trying to use it on a 10.4.8 Jas install, and have also tried using the 10.4.5 kexts. Can someone help me out? Thanks

is your devid 1c or 1a? maybe check the Info.plist (of /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Info.plist) and make sure that the appropriate ID is listed there?

any ideas ?

dGV

erm... so you say you HAVEN'T tried the 10.4.5 kext? try my procedure, it might work. Also since you said you used to have an iwi3945 (Intel?), it might be safer to format/erase and reinstall JaS 10.4.8 fresh and try again.

I've tried multiple times with the older kext, repaired permissions with disk utility and manually, but cannot use my wifi. If the problem is because the newer Atheros chips are PCI-E, does that mean other PCI-E cards wont work with OSx86?

Edit: my vender and device IDs are listed in the plist - 168c,1c -- I've tried changing 1 to 001 but didn't help.

Yes. Because the driver for the Atheros isn't in there. Take a look, in plugins it's just the broadcom driver.

Thanks for the guide and kext file further down in the thread, it all worked well for me. Just bought a AR5005GS based mini-PCI card for my laptop. Works much better than the Intel Pro 2200BG card I had before. This one goes in as Airport Card :)

Thanks for the guide and kext file further down in the thread, it all worked well for me. Just bought a AR5005GS based mini-PCI card for my laptop. Works much better than the Intel Pro 2200BG card I had before. This one goes in as Airport Card :censored2:
anomaly, can you please post a link where yoiu bought it? Thanks.