Test drove Vista RTM

TopazBar

63 posts in this topic

I've been making the rounds of forums basically saying the same thing at all the ones I frequent and I get the same reaction to what I just said. People should just stop being whining little babies and deal with things as they are. IT'S NOT DONE YET as a finished officially released and supported product; it is from Microsoft's standpoint and as far as being "done" is, but geezus, it's ridiculous how much whining is flooding the forums around the Net.

/me tries to put a stop to it or at least edjumicate people somewhat... now if they'd only read and comprehend what he's saying...

Oh well, I try...

bb

It's stable for me, IE crash a lot but it's finish jet, anyway I love Firefox, rest programs works well. I will not banish Vista for little incompatibility, because none of my apps don't support Vista.

I am not impressed with vista. But belive that it is more secure not only form virus but also from stupid usage. It's harder to crash. I wont to know it will slow down like XP. If not huge + for Vista

TopazBar you like vista transparent border, then maybe you will also be impressed by flaming widows in Linux with beryl. That's cool.

br0adband, I'm totally agree with you about the drivers issues, most developers haven't created Vista Ready Drivers, just Nvidia but those drivers sucks so I don't count on them, but another thing is that even without using any drivers, any new app just the OS it crashes (the widget like think crashes) so my point is to be aware all users that vista can't be used as your main OS yet, so that's why I was writing what happened to me, if you like it and you can live with this RTM unreleased version go ahead but by your own risk.

Well you're looking at this from your perspective, and that's perfectly understandable. But in the weeks that I've been using Vista, and of the thousands of forum postings I've been reading, the Microsoft newsgroups, websites, etc... you're one of only a small number (like less than 100 out of hundreds of thousands) so far that is having so much trouble with Vista.

Sure, there are going to be people that simply have no luck at all with it, same as some people simply have no luck at all getting OSx86 installed on their generic PCs and other people just download it, burn it, and install it and most everything works as it should. It's a simple fact and this happens all the time.

So, when you offer your opinions, it's cool to say "It doesn't work for me" but to "warn everyone" about Vista not working for all of them, it's pretty presumptuous to make such statements since you're not them so you have no way to guarantee such a thing.

Less than .1% of 100 isn't a majority, it's just a sampling error, if that makes any sense to you. You're in that .1% part right now; the rest of us aren't having the troubles you are, overall.

Hope this helps...

bb

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking mine so far even if it uses a lot of ram its because its doing good use of it and not like xp doesnt know how to handle ram

Vista-

I don't exactly understand. Did vista work with Mac OS or did u need to uninstall OS before putting vista on there? I am going buy a new macbook and put windows on it but if i need to unistall OS I don't know whether i should put windows on or not...? :D

Vista-

I don't exactly understand. Did vista work with Mac OS or did u need to uninstall OS before putting vista on there? I am going buy a new macbook and put windows on it but if i need to unistall OS I don't know whether i should put windows on or not...? :blink:

On a Macbook you can have both OS X and Vista installed with Boot Camp provided by Apple. Check the Forum and other sites, there's plenty of Boot Camp info.

I've been running Vista for nearly 2 months now, and I really, really like it.

I have yet to see a crash in Vista (minus MSN Messenger, but the Messenger team has issues), and everything seems very quick compared to XP.

Interface is awesome, though, very streamlined.

But I hate when people are brining OS X into the Vista equation, like Mac never stole anything from any OS.

Heck, Apple is developing a X64 version of OS X, which XP clearly had for over a year now.

I could name off other things Apple steals, but, meh, I can't hate OS X, it's definately one-of-a-kind.

I've been running Vista for nearly 2 months now, and I really, really like it.

I have yet to see a crash in Vista (minus MSN Messenger, but the Messenger team has issues), and everything seems very quick compared to XP.

Interface is awesome, though, very streamlined.

But I hate when people are brining OS X into the Vista equation, like Mac never stole anything from any OS.

Heck, Apple is developing a X64 version of OS X, which XP clearly had for over a year now.

I could name off other things Apple steals, but, meh, I can't hate OS X, it's definately one-of-a-kind.

mac and windows both relased a a x64 version of there os at aroudn the same time there.....diffrnce with osx x64 verion is that is can use 32x drviers and run stuff native in 32bit will in x64 unlike widows can only use 64x driver on a 64x platform and it runs its 32bit software thur somthing called WoW (windows on windows) with is not natively just emulated.

I don't know if this thread is still going but I'll add my :D anyway. I just did a test drive of the 'final' version of Vista under... yep you guessed it... Parallels on a hackintosh :D

Admittedly it looks better and feels a bit more user-friendly than XP BUT (and this is a fat one) what hit me like with a hammer is that M$ have become even more paranoid. PLUS they make it even more visible to the user. It's almost like they're proud of all their 'security mechanisms' which in fact their systems intrinsically need so badly anyway. Then this obscure activation server :( It all feels a bit patched together and then nicely coated with skins that make life easier for the sales rep in the computer shop.

In terms of flexibility in customising the GUI not much has changed. The same holds true for the quality and quantity of the bundled software, except of course for the massive improvements in the firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing, anti-piracy, anti-popup, anti-user ... oops maybe not (I hope so).

Then all those running processes that boot by default and clog up the machine (hell knows what they're all good - or bad- for). Anyway I killed about half of them and guess what, Vista kept running as if those processes really don't need to be there in a first place. It would probably take me another week or so to tune this system to a reasonable usability/performance ratio.

I reckon it's a bit scary if this is the fruit of 5 years of development for the size of a company like M$. What have they all been doing during all those years? Hmm... none of my business I suppose...? :D

And here comes the price: in my neck of the woods Vista comes into the shops at a juicy 400+ euros for, I would say, a version that is somewhat usable. Over 500 US smackaroos that is... they're truly having a laugh.

peace out

I reckon it's a bit scary if this is the fruit of 5 years of development for the size of a company like M$. What have they all been doing during all those years? Hmm... none of my business I suppose...? :D

And here comes the price: in my neck of the woods Vista comes into the shops at a juicy 400+ euros for, I would say, a version that is somewhat usable. Over 500 US smackaroos that is... they're truly having a laugh.

solaar, well done !

For me Vista looks like XP SP3 with a new GUI :pirate2:

I tried and still have Vista RTM X64 on my SCSI swap in Hard Drive, runs fast on my machine and I'll keep it for some time...untill the beta key won't "do" it anymore :whistle: