[RYZEN] macOS 10.12.x (Sierra) Kernel Research&Development Thread

Sinetek

774 posts in this topic

Ok to sum up so far, the new Kernel and other files work great!    I cannot get the new boot test zip to boot correctly      Using the original Boot and the new kernel and other files has allowed me to overclock my Ryzen 7 1700 to 3800 MHz with stability.    3900MHz crashes at boot up, I have stock fan system.

With original boot file I need to add busratio=(38 or whatever my CPU bios setting is) or I get the 1/2 performance or frequency issue.  see pics.     Notice the RX 480 compute benchmarks as well.   It affects both the CPU and Graphics cards the same way, 1/2 performance level.

machdep.tsc.frequency: 3800118979

GigamaxxRyzenSierra2s-MacBook:~ gigamaxxryzensierra2$

May I know the version or date created by Bronya for the original Boot you mentioned here ?

Is it the boot_rc2_ryzen ? or boot_beta ?

Ok to sum up so far, the new Kernel and other files work great!    I cannot get the new boot test zip to boot correctly      Using the original Boot and the new kernel and other files has allowed me to overclock my Ryzen 7 1700 to 3800 MHz with stability.    3900MHz crashes at boot up, I have stock fan system.

With original boot file I need to add busratio=(38 or whatever my CPU bios setting is) or I get the 1/2 performance or frequency issue.  see pics.     Notice the RX 480 compute benchmarks as well.   It affects both the CPU and Graphics cards the same way, 1/2 performance level.

machdep.tsc.frequency: 3800118979

GigamaxxRyzenSierra2s-MacBook:~ gigamaxxryzensierra2$

Thanks all of you for help me a lot !

I got a little different solution to fix my previous issues:

BIOS setting: 100.60000 x 34 (=3420 Mhz)

Boot: Bronya Boot (Chameleon 2.3svn (svn-r2667 Bronya) [2017-05-07 04:40:10])

(booted by 2017-04-27 version will get lower test score in Cinebench R15)

Boot Args: dart=0 colors=32 kext-dev-mode=1 -v npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 busratio=35

Kernel: [Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0: воскресенье,  7 мая 2017 г. 19:48:57 (MSK); root:xnu-3789.51.2/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64]

Timer runs within tolerable difference from actually normal reference (about secs slower)

Performance is the best I have got up to now !

Stability is very very good !

The only bug is this new kernel always slow down around busy timeout related to AppleACPICPU which means longer time to login desktop during booting.

1700X-3420Mhz.txt

post-70188-0-43235900-1494210810_thumb.png

post-70188-0-86617400-1494210911_thumb.png

Edited by jsl
  • Like 2

Gigamaxx, if use boot_beta  , gets problem ? ))

Yes, it is shut down error. I will try it again a little later tonight and report back to you if I can get it to work. I saw a El Capitan error in the message.

Gigamaxx, if use boot_beta  , gets problem ? ))

This beta boot got black screen immediately and hanged for Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

I think your Boot on 2017-05-07 working well now for Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

Please update your Ryzen kernels for 10.11.6, 10.10.5, and 10.9.5 to fix the same issues at 10.12.4 that will be great !

Jsl , really ??? My friend speak that this new boot beta works fine and best ! This name CPU same how that your name CPU !

Unfortunately three testers (Gigamaxx, Martimar, & me) all got unfavored result: shutdown, reboot, or hang at black screen.(Post# 353, 354 & 356)

But your newest Ryzen kernel is the best for Ryzen hackintosh at 10.12.4, that is why I am asking you update the other kernels at 10.11.6, 10.10.5, & 10.9.5 to fix the same issues I have reported before.

Your new kernel have solved all of previous issues except

1. Timer is a little bit slow than timer.apple.com

2. Booting time is a little bit long, esp. slow down around busy timeout(0) 60 sec, AppleACPICPU ........ during booting.

The timer issue can be fixed by BIOS setting changed to 3800 Mhz (=100.0000 x 38)

Your newest kernel can get correct machdep.tsc.frequency and get better testing scores than 3420 or 3500 Mhz by Cinebench R15.

Ths is the first time I got Cinebench R15 CPU testing score in Mac OS X was greater than it in Windows with the same hardware.

post-70188-0-31673200-1494241105_thumb.jpeg

1700X-3800Mhz.txt

post-70188-0-57874800-1494242495_thumb.png

post-70188-0-28159800-1494243688_thumb.png

• Like 1

Unfortunately I cannot get proper frequency results with the new rc4 kernel, I will do more tests. The problem is that I always get a lower benchmarks scores compared to Win (1700CB) - Mac (about1500CB, never hit 1600) (same settings in bios).

Of course I adjusted the busratio=x according to my nominal cpu freq (eg. 38 for 3800 - 36 for 3600, etc.)

No way in my test to boot with new boot "test" file. I got the initial information about cpu , my system, etc and than just black screen.

Should be very interesting to share/make some FAQ for optimal bios settings for Ryzen hacks so far (eg. do you set amd firmware for cpu? or just legacy? cpu pm settings (c-states) to auto?S4-S5 state on-off? ...)

@Bronya

As far as I am aware of..there's no official 17h BKDG yet but you may find some below documents useful :)

Unfortunately I cannot get proper frequency results with the new rc4 kernel, I will do more tests. The problem is that I always get a lower benchmarks scores compared to Win (1700CB) - Mac (about1500CB, never hit 1600) (same settings in bios).

Of course I adjusted the busratio=x according to my nominal cpu freq (eg. 38 for 3800 - 36 for 3600, etc.)

No way in my test to boot with new boot "test" file. I got the initial information about cpu , my system, etc and than just black screen.

Should be very interesting to share/make some FAQ for optimal bios settings for Ryzen hacks so far (eg. do you set amd firmware for cpu? or just legacy? cpu pm settings (c-states) to auto?S4-S5 state on-off? ...)

@Bronya

As far as I am aware of..there's no official 17h BKDG yet but you may find some below documents useful :)

Have you tried to down-clock or under clock your ram? I'm running 2400 and there are issues with the AM4 boards and bios for unsupported ram in the upper frequencies. Maybe if you can set it to 2400MHz it may be worth a try. I know it should be unrelated but maybe OS Sierra doesn't like your frequency settings.

• Like 1

Have you tried to down-clock or under clock your ram? I'm running 2400 and there are issues with the AM4 boards and bios for unsupported ram in the upper frequencies. Maybe if you can set it to 2400MHz it may be worth a try. I know it should be unrelated but maybe OS Sierra doesn't like your frequency settings.

i have a kernel_task process that slow down my system and explain the low cb score. I have to understand why. I'll try to apply new kernel again.

i have a kernel_task process that slow down my system and explain the low cb score. I have to understand why. I'll try to apply new kernel again.

Bios settings for my Gigabyte boards, maybe a new Mobo would solve the the issue?

Serial port "Super IO configuration" =Disabled

Network stack =Enabled

HPET =Enabled, and now Disabled. Try both I had KP issues and then Disabled it and now it boots again..

Wake on LAN =Disabled

EHCI Handoff = Enabled

XHCI Handoff = Enabled

ErP = Disabled

Windows configuration = Other OS

I gave up on my Asus boards, yeah I returned the first for locked bios, trying to disable CSM bricked the bios and nothing worked to reset, did CMOS jumper, pulled battery and repeated, pulled all components and powered up. Nothing got me back to bios menu to reset values. It happened to the second replacement board too so I swapped it out for a Gigabyte AX370 which has most of the normal Hackintosh switch off capabilities, and because the Gigabyte Gaming AB350 worked so well. Others have had success with Asus boards so this is a very strange circumstance. Maybe it's in the bios settings, maybe the bios itself needs to be reflashed, can you exchange or trade in your mobo?

• Like 2

Bios settings for my Gigabyte boards, maybe a new Mobo would solve the the issue?

Serial port "Super IO configuration" =Disabled

Network stack =Enabled

HPET =Enabled, and now Disabled. Try both I had KP issues and then Disabled it and now it boots again..

Wake on LAN =Disabled

EHCI Handoff = Enabled

XHCI Handoff = Enabled

ErP = Disabled

Windows configuration = Other OS

I gave up on my Asus boards, yeah I returned the first for locked bios, trying to disable CSM bricked the bios and nothing worked to reset, did CMOS jumper, pulled battery and repeated, pulled all components and powered up. Nothing got me back to bios menu to reset values. It happened to the second replacement board too so I swapped it out for a Gigabyte AX370 which has most of the normal Hackintosh switch off capabilities, and because the Gigabyte Gaming AB350 worked so well. Others have had success with Asus boards so this is a very strange circumstance. Maybe it's in the bios settings, maybe the bios itself needs to be reflashed, can you exchange or trade in your mobo?

Thanks for sharing. We have almost same settings. I solved the performance issue re-appling the kernel e fixing fsck the os volume.

• Like 1

Just speculating, but if the timer is running too fast/slow that might effect benchmark scores. It might just be better to time the benchmark with a stopwatch and see what happens.

I when I was experimenting on my 1700 I tried busratio=30 and no fsb and the timer was running so fast it was hard not to get double key presses!

My ethernet (rtl8111) is having trouble connecting. Some times it connects after a few minutes, sometimes not at all. I think it might be timer related as I see rtl8111 timeout messages in the console while booting. USB and USB3 seems to be working ok. GTX-770 is ok. USB Audio keeps skipping, but I think that's timer related (audio trying to play too slow/fast).

@jaytaragan : I do not know if we should rely on his results?

My result :

macos_cpu3.png

But I prefer compare a compilation time  of my opensource program same code in Host and guest for to be sure :

time_debian.png

Now the same code in macos VM and same argument make -j17 :

time_debian2.png

Host monitoring check speed and threads used:

time_debian1.png

59 s vs 69 seconds in VM this is a good thing for me. ;-)

Thanks you Bronya for this kernel.

• Like 1

Hi to all ! 
Please no use boot_ryzen_test1.zip ! Use boot_beta from post  #317  !
I find mistake in kernel for Ryzen ! And fixed and now should fine works without flags "busratio" !! :)

Here two kernels - kernel_auto and kernel_fakeMsr . This kernels works with this boot from post #317 !  

Download :

kernel_10.2.4_fakeMsr.zip

kernel_10.2.4_auto.zip

• Like 9

Hi to all ! 
I find mistake in kernel for Ryzen ! And fixed and now should fine works without flags "busratio" !! :)

Here two kernels - kernel_auto and kernel_fakeMsr . This kernels works with this boot from post #317 !  

Download :

attachicon.gifkernel_10.2.4_fakeMsr.zip

attachicon.gifkernel_10.2.4_auto.zip

Thanks for these two new Ryzen kernels both of which worked for 1700X hackintosh at 3500 Mhz.

But performance tested by Cinebench R15 & Geekbench 4 got a little bit lower scores than previous kernel [Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0: воскресенье,  7 мая 2017 г. 19:48:57 (MSK); root:xnu-3789.51.2/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64] at the same condition.

I'll make more testing to confirm this tomorrow.

Hi to all ! 

Download :

Good job, Bronya.

ratio fixed, the benchmark is good . 

Ryzen 1700 @ stock 

post-2087795-0-70772000-1494357259_thumb.png

post-2087795-0-77102800-1494357270_thumb.png

post-2087795-0-23358600-1494357280_thumb.png

• Like 3

Hi to all ! 

Download :

What I said about the Frequency and BusRatio is true then :)

Hi to all ! 

Download :

Hi Bronya,

Your latest Ryzen Yosemite kernel can take advantage of these fix?

Possible to send to us new Yosemite kernel?

Thank in advance, guy. ;-)