Control backlight brightness on Sony Vaio with 330m

goldenmaterial

10 posts in this topic

I'm running Yosemite on my Sony Vaio VPCZ13, which has a dedicated graphics card, the nVidia 330m. The problem is that I can't control the screen brightness (backlight) in any way. Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 don't work at all, and in system preferences there's no slider to adjust the brightness. 

Anybody can help me on that? The screen brightness is pretty high and can't stand it for long periods of time. Any needed information will be provided.

Try RehabMan's kext: ACPIBacklight

Ok, installed ACPIBacklight.kext with Kext Wizard and rebooted, but no luck. Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 still don't work to change brightness. There isn't any brightness slider either in System Settings.

Just a question, ACPIBacklight is designed to work with Intel or nVidia cards? Or with both? Because my notebook has hybrid graphics but the BIOS is patched to VGA Switching Policy to Static, so I can boot with either nVidia 330m or Intel HD Graphics. Currently I've configured hackintosh to use nvidia (Inject nNVidia, nvidia_drv=1), etc.

hello

try apply this patch in the dsdt

graphics_PNLF.txt

good hack

Ok, DSDT.aml is patched, but still no brightness control with either Fn keys or brightness slider.

Here's what I did:

1. Mount EFI partition as root or with Clover Configurator Vibrant
  2. Download  DSDTEditor_Mac.zip (following http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287011-how-to-extract-and-compile-dsdtaml-with-dsdt-editor/)
  3. Download and install Java 6 (required by DSDTEditor): https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US
  4. Edit /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml with DSDTEditor for mac. (I copied it to my home folder and after modifying it write it back as root)
    • File -> Open -> DSDT.aml
    • File -> Extract DSDT
    • Patch -> Open... -> Choose graphics_PNLF.txt
    • IASL -> Compile
    • IASL -> Save AML as... -> save as DSDT.aml and write it back.
  5. Reboot the computer

• 3 weeks later...

I've found it why happens: my screen is connected as AppleDisplay instead of AppleBacklightDisplay with DisplayPort connection type. Are still necessary the dsdt+ssdt? Where can I get them?

Hello!

The first step is to use the SMBios of an Apple portable device to get brightnesscontrol working on OSX, because of the OSX kernel.

If you then can get your display dedected as internal by OSX, the brightness silder should work. The keys need perhaps an adapted VoodooPS2 kext.

PLNF patch in DSDT/SSDT is in any case needed.

There are also many Apple devices with eDP connected displays.

Have fun.

PS.: Temporary solution is using a dimmer app without possibility to save energy. You could try this one: http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Mac-OS/Brightness-Menulet-FREE.html