AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

Are you sure your laptop use ALC898 ? The naming of OEMs can be misleading, so I suggest locating the Device ID

Yes that is what the detection command showed and what ioreg shows and if you look I have uploaded plenty of logs to further prove this.

There doesn't seem to be any one able to solve this, voodoohda works except internal mic

this thread is now huge :\

whats the state of CA0132?

are we supposed to be able to installed AppleALC.kext and code commander.kext, and then see the output device?

I have an Alienware M17x r4 and I have done this and no output device ever shows, I have tried layout-id, 1, 3, 9 and it never shows.

am I just unlucky and haven't tried the right layout id or should the device show anyway?

the code shows in DCPIManager

vanilla AppleHDA.kext is loaded

AppleALC is loaded

codeccommander is loaded.

if you tell me what I should or could expect to happen, I'm happy to wipe and start again.

also, can't we have a thread for CA0132 instead of having it mixed here? just an idea.

oh, and I'm more than happy to do any tests or dumps you need so long as there are some instructions somewhere to follow.

okay I had to leave this for a few days, but I've answered my own question and wanted to post it here for anyone wondering.

(you're thread pointer was duly noted and appreciated slice, thanks :)  - not sure why I'd previous dismissed that )

the answer is, yes we can expect the output device to show, it should just work as I had done. the reason no output device was showing was because I had a rogue CA0132 kext present from previous tinkering. it was loaded but it was enough to stop the output device showing.

so for the record, I'm using the AppleALC.kext, codec commander audio layout 1 on my Alienware M17x R4 and the internal speakers and main headphones are working fine.

the second headphone port isn't working but I'm not too bothered.

Hi, I'm having a problem with a notebook asus s550c, and alc270 audio. The problem is that only the output of headphones is detected. I've tested all the ids, but nothing changes. In order for the output of the speakers to work, I need to change the platafors.xml file and add the nodes of the speakers to the two outputs, "headphones and speakers". I hope I have been clear.

Thank you..

EDIT

OS 10.12.4

Yes that is what the detection command showed and what ioreg shows and if you look I have uploaded plenty of logs to further prove this.

There doesn't seem to be any one able to solve this, voodoohda works except internal mic

Hi, Fma96580, I found a same AppleHDA problem with kabylake laptop ALC892. I tried all layoutIDs AppleALC and full patched AppleHDA without luck.I can see a correct System Report and SysPre about audio card but no sound. I guess it is only relevant to kabylake.

I have a strange problem. Running a patch I made using Mirones AppleHDA patcher. It uses vanilla AppleHDA and aDummyHDA, and Clover patches. I have codec ALC236. The result is the same with the patched unsigned AppleHDA kext.

Volume and mute keys affect sound levels when I press them.

I have units in System Report:

post-1847887-0-52453400-1493717402_thumb.png

I have mic in Syspref-Sound in. It doesn't work though.

post-1847887-0-05769900-1493717438_thumb.png

I have units in Syspref-Sound Out:

post-1847887-0-51403000-1493717515_thumb.png

And IOReg looks good to me:

post-1847887-0-92256600-1493717539_thumb.png

But no sound gets out. No system sounds. iTunes cannot play anything. I have rebuilt caches and rebooted. It behaves like this all the time, not just after sleep. No videos play at all, probably because the computer senses audio is not outputted correctly.

So I plan to follow a guide and fix it. Is there anyone who might know where to start? What is the problem? Is it the codec verbs clover patches? Is it something in Layout ID .zml or is it Platforms.zml? Something else that might help me? Some part  of the patch is working since AppleHDA loads. I think maybe there is not a lot left to do.

I have tried AppleALC and Lilu with LayoutID 11 which is correct for my codec (ALC236 rev 2) but it won't work unfortunately. Same result but Mute button won't do anything. So this solution is a little closer.

Running 11.6 on Kaby Lake, Lenovo Ideapad 710s. 

Codec: Realtek Generic

Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0236
Subsystem Id: 0x17aa389a
Revision Id: 0x100002

Thanks for any help

I have a strange problem. Running a patch I made using Mirones AppleHDA patcher. It uses vanilla AppleHDA and aDummyHDA, and Clover patches. I have codec ALC236. The result is the same with the patched unsigned AppleHDA kext.

Volume and mute keys affect sound levels when I press them.

I have units in System Report:

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-05-02 kl. 11.38.09.png

I have mic in Syspref-Sound in. It doesn't work though.

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-05-02 kl. 11.38.34.png

I have units in Syspref-Sound Out:

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-05-02 kl. 11.38.42.png

And IOReg looks good to me:

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-05-02 kl. 11.39.05.png

But no sound gets out. No system sounds. iTunes cannot play anything. I have rebuilt caches and rebooted. It behaves like this all the time, not just after sleep. No videos play at all, probably because the computer senses audio is not outputted correctly.

So I plan to follow a guide and fix it. Is there anyone who might know where to start? What is the problem? Is it the codec verbs clover patches? Is it something in Layout ID .zml or is it Platforms.zml? Something else that might help me? Some part  of the patch is working since AppleHDA loads. I think maybe there is not a lot left to do.

I have tried AppleALC and Lilu with LayoutID 11 which is correct for my codec (ALC236 rev 2) but it won't work unfortunately. Same result but Mute button won't do anything. So this solution is a little closer.

Running 11.6 on Kaby Lake, Lenovo Ideapad 710s. 

Codec: Realtek Generic

Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0236
Subsystem Id: 0x17aa389a
Revision Id: 0x100002

Thanks for any help

Dump your audio codec in linux and do inbox, I will do the work

• Like 2

I'm having a similar issue with ALC662 on a Clevo laptop.

Using AppleALC & Lilu with layout ID 5 or 11 injected via DSDT I have sound enabled but nothing's actually coming from the speakers

Using AppleHDA Patcher with ALC662 (Desktop) and Layout ID 5 injected via DSDT I get the exact same, sound enabled but silent.

I've attached the codec dump from Ubuntu. If anyone is able to help get this working I'd appreciate it as VoodooHDA is giving horrendous larsen effect.

audio.txt

I'm having a similar issue with ALC662 on a Clevo laptop.

Using AppleALC & Lilu with layout ID 5 or 11 injected via DSDT I have sound enabled but nothing's actually coming from the speakers

Using AppleHDA Patcher with ALC662 (Desktop) and Layout ID 5 injected via DSDT I get the exact same, sound enabled but silent.

I've attached the codec dump from Ubuntu. If anyone is able to help get this working I'd appreciate it as VoodooHDA is giving horrendous larsen effect.

Give me the specific name for this Clevo laptop so I will try to add support to it. There are tons of Clevo laptops out there and I have seen one using ALC892 (same as MSI laptops)

Will do! Let  me know if there is anything else you need. Thanks!!

Use this AppleALC with layout 28, do install with the newest Lilu.kext

AppleALC.kext_ALC236_Lenovo_Ideapad_710s.zip

• Like 1

Give me the specific name for this Clevo laptop so I will try to add support to it. There are tons of Clevo laptops out there and I have seen one using ALC892 (same as MSI laptops)

Use this AppleALC with layout 28, do install with the newest Lilu.kext

Many thanks!

Installed AppleALC to SLE with Lilu. Took away old Clover KextToPatches. Changed LayoutID to 28. Deleted old aDummyHDA.kext

The result is similiar to the old solution, but now the microphone works. I also have one more option in System Report-> Audio, "Headphones", which wasn't available before. 

Volume and mute keys work after inserting headphones too, but still no audio out. The volume keys react very slowly though. I don't know if  this has anything to do with the AppleHDA.kext though.

Many thanks!

Installed AppleALC to SLE with Lilu. Took away old Clover KextToPatches. Changed LayoutID to 28. Deleted old aDummyHDA.kext

The result is similiar to the old solution, but now the microphone works. I also have one more option in System Report-> Audio, "Headphones", which wasn't available before. 

Volume and mute keys work after inserting headphones too, but still no audio out. The volume keys react very slowly though. I don't know if  this has anything to do with the AppleHDA.kext though.

Do install vanilla AppleHDA and vanilla IOAudioFamily.kext; I suspect the problem lies in combining both headphones and internal speaker into one entry, so when I get home I will make another AppleALC that splits the entries for you

Edit: do you have CodecCommander.kext in your SLE ? Put your laptop spec in your signature so I can see more to it

• Like 1

Do install vanilla AppleHDA and vanilla IOAudioFamily.kext; I suspect the problem lies in combining both headphones and internal speaker into one entry, so when I get home I will make another AppleALC that splits the entries for you

Edit: do you have CodecCommander.kext in your SLE ? Put your laptop spec in your signature so I can see more to it

I had CodecCommander there. I tried removing it. Did not help. Shall I put it back? 

Signature fixed.

Thanks! Will stay tuned.

I had CodecCommander there. I tried removing it. Did not help. Shall I put it back? 

Signature fixed.

Thanks! Will stay tuned.

Some codecs like Dell's new ALC256 ( in the Inspiron 7559 ) had problems with macOS (no headphones output etc.) and was fixed by copying ALC233's properties and slap the ALC256 name onto it, works fine afterward. I will send a new CodecCommander.kext to you and another AppleALC.kext

• Like 1

@dronefriend use the below CodecCommander first ( still keep the first AppleALC.kext I sent you earlier ), check if you have any outputs working. If no install the AppleALC.kext I provided here, it will split the 2 entries for Headphones and Internal Speaker

@Foxic use the AppleALC below with newest Lilu.kext, use layout ID 28. Please install vanilla IOAudioFamily and AppleHDA.kext, remove any aDummyHDA.kext or VoodooHDA.kext or AppleHDADisabler.kext if you are using them

CodecCommander.kext.zip

AppleALC.kext.zip

• Like 2

Hi!

Congrats, niiice project.

Currently i have here a fresh installed Lenovo T510 with El Capitan. The bootloader is clover and the codec is CX20585.

The AppleHDA-Patcher methode works, but i lost the internal mic.

After installing AppleALC, i noticed internal speakers and external headphones work, but the internal mic is still missing. I read AppleALC uses the same mirone-schemata for this codec...

The only functional HDA-kext i got is for Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

It would be great to get a little bit help. Thanks!

Greets.

@dronefriend use the below CodecCommander first ( still keep the first AppleALC.kext I sent you earlier ), check if you have any outputs working. If no install the AppleALC.kext I provided here, it will split the 2 entries for Headphones and Internal Speaker

@Foxic use the AppleALC below with newest Lilu.kext, use layout ID 28. Please install vanilla IOAudioFamily and AppleHDA.kext, remove any aDummyHDA.kext or VoodooHDA.kext or AppleHDADisabler.kext if you are using them

I installed the CodecCommander you provided. Gave same result, no audio out.

Installed new AppleALC. Still no audio out. Changes in sys pref -> audio and ioreg shows it's properly loaded I think:

post-1847887-0-85620600-1493816798_thumb.png

If it is of any help, there is a patched AppleHDA that worked partially for me. Mirone made it. The problem was the audio was glitchy and poppy, and disappeared every other second. But there was audio out, can it provide any clue to the problem? It was this one:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I installed the CodecCommander you provided. Gave same result, no audio out.

Installed new AppleALC. Still no audio out. Changes in sys pref -> audio and ioreg shows it's properly loaded I think:

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2017-05-03 kl. 15.14.52.png

If it is of any help, there is a patched AppleHDA that worked partially for me. Mirone made it. The problem was the audio was glitchy and poppy, and disappeared every other second. But there was audio out, can it provide any clue to the problem? It was this one:

attachicon.gifAppleHDA.kext.zip

If you have UseARTFrequency=True enabled in your config.plist, remove it. It is known to interfere with Skylake/Kabylake audio

Great, thanks vasun123, the internal speakers are now recognised and working but they are the only output and I have no inputs.  Any chance you could have another look?

Great, thanks vasun123, the internal speakers are now recognised and working but they are the only output and I have no inputs.  Any chance you could have another look?

No input as in it appears in syspref > sound but nothing works or ? And does your headphone jack work ?